Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought i would drop by and advise those of you still using the Yamaha stock cage on your YXZ 1000's. My dad recently rolled his car in Glamis. The damage to the cage was so bad i thought he should have died. The cage collapsed and hit him in the head knocking him out on the spot He was wearing a top of the line street bike helmet (Thank God) which cracked from the impact. I honestly cant believe Yamaha can/will sell a product that provides very little crash integrity. Please do me a favor and do your best to upgrade your cages. It will save your life. Here are some photos of the car after the wreck. Thanks to the great people at Alternitive Offroad, we were able to get the car repaired and back to the desert within 4 weeks.

IMG_0768.JPG IMG_0759.JPG IMG_0759.JPG IMG_0766.JPG

Car after the repairs. We added a new cage by Fabwerx, PRP seats, Graves exhaust and flash, Fabwerx bumper, New steering wheel with quick disconnect, new ligthing w/rear wing and rear light, new steering rods, new whips, new Weller racing temp gauge w/ gauge pods which included four more switch locations, and fiber optic whips. And again Alternitive Offroad completed all of this in four weeks. The crash was over Halloween weekend and the car was ripping around Thanksgiving week in Glamis. A BIG thank you to the guys over there. It was a real pleasure dealing with them.

IMG_0989.JPG IMG_0993.JPG IMG_0994.JPG

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I wanted to see a yxz in person with the Fabwerx cage, James at Alternative said he had a car there with one on it so i took a 45 min. ride to take a look . I was on the fence about getting one until i seen your dads old cage and how damaged it was . I was kind of shocked at how thin walled the stock cage was and more surprised at how light it was nothing to them to speak of really. I sat in your dads car and with my helmet on and decided to have James build me one an inch taller because of my height. I agree with you at how they can put out such a unsubstantial cage and to make the investment in your safety .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Especially after shutting down the production of new equipment due to lawsuits. You would think the lawsuits would have taught them a lesson. I guess not. Glad my dads car could help you decide on what you wanted. We just picked the car up yesterday getting a few more things done. Send me a photo of your car or post one when your done. Id like to see how it turned out. Take Care Bud.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Very surprised at the quality of stock cage . Just look up at your cage when you sit in the car and check out the stubby little piece that sticks out towards the rear that holds up the plastic roof . Really WTF . whats that going to do for other than swing down and cut your ear off. LOL.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I have never seen a stock cage that is worth a damn period... When I end over ended mine the front of the cage collapsed,,, And because of the cage I had frame damaged... Couldn't believe it but that will never happen again I went with a chrome moly lsr cage this time... Factory cages are a joke and very unsafe... Mine didn't look as bad as yours but then again I didn't remove my roof,,, Yes I would say that it saved me that 1 time but I am not going to try it again... Glad to hear that your dad is ok that's the most important thing thank GOD he was wearing a helmet...

Attachments

·
Registered
510 Posts
It looks like what made this so bad was it landed completely on the drivers rear corner. An aftermarket cage would have helped for sure, but remember that it's being mounted to the stock frame that is made the same way from the same stuff that the stock cage is made. The only way to help assure a good out come in a bad crash is a total cage/chassis replacement. Don't get me wrong a cage will help, but in a bad crash it's just like your drive train you beef up one part than you just put more stress on the next weakest part.
Mark

·
Registered
902 Posts
I barrel rolled 3 times and landed in this corner a couple of times on a well made aftermarket roll cage on hard pack, I guarantee a stock one would of been crushed and the outcome would of been different. I could be wrong but , sometimes reason frames bend is because stock cage collapses and takes the 4 stock cage pillars with it, that's how my car looked right after wards my opinion.
20160425_181150.jpg 20160425_181444.jpg

·
Registered
867 Posts
I barrel rolled 3 times and landed in this corner a couple of times on a well made aftermarket roll cage on hard pack, I guarantee a stock one would of been crushed and the outcome would of been different. I could be wrong but , sometimes reason frames bend is because stock cage collapses and takes the 4 stock cage pillars with it, that's how my car looked right after wards my opinion.
View attachment 59113 View attachment 59121
That's what happened to my frame,,, bent because of that factory crap they call a roll cage... I am counting on my LSR cage from now on... I hope that I never have to use it again but if I do I am sure that the results will be different...

·
Registered
726 Posts
I rolled multiple times 8 to 12 who knows wasn't counting, too busy hanging on down a very large dune. Thank God I had a super strong cage built by a local fab shop! I'm afraid that with a stock cage I would gotten really messed up, or worse I landed at the base of the bowl on all four's and drove back to camp. Please, Please, Please get the best cage and harness pkg you can afford!

Minor damage IMO light bars, whips, plastic, the manager at RideNow gave me new whips. He was impressed they didn't break quick lites

·
Registered
902 Posts
Wow, It goes back at what I posted earlier, having a good rollcage can drastically improve the chances of not tweaking the frame , plastics ain't cheap but it's better than totalling the whole car . God Bless and Safe Riding

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep. My dads frame tweeked a bit too. We bent it back with heat and a fork lift pulling one way as a full size chevy pulled the other. it was pretty funny looking. I think I have a photo somewhere. I see if i can find it and post it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The issue here is that the stock cage is a roll cage - not a crash cage.

The cage is simply designed to keep you from getting smashed if you tip over fast enough to do a complete flip. It's not meant for high speed end over end barrel rolls.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Cinetek1 this is Sam Walker from CMS Law firm in Walnut Creek. We are representing a client where he sustained massive injuries from the same model ATV. I was wondering if you could help me answer some questions regarding these roll cages?
1. How unusual is it for a roll cage like this when the ATV has flipped.
2. What differences does the Fabwerx cage have in utility and appearance compared to Yamaha stock cage?

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Hey Cinetek1 this is Sam Walker from CMS Law firm in Walnut Creek. We are representing a client where he sustained massive injuries from the same model ATV. I was wondering if you could help me answer some questions regarding these roll cages?
1. How unusual is it for a roll cage like this when the ATV has flipped.
2. What differences does the Fabwerx cage have in utility and appearance compared to Yamaha stock cage?
I think your blow'in a dead goat trying to bring suit against Yamaha. No ware does Yamaha claim that the pipe above your head is in anyway a roll cage, i.e. ROPS. This is labeled as a roof support, nothing more, nothing less, it holds up the roof. Obviously your client should have had a aftermarket roll cage made from 4130 molly or DOM tube steel and not relied on a thin wall tube and plastic roof for safety. I do hope the injured makes a full recovery however.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Here we go, trying to get into someone else's pockets when they are more than likely at fault. Driving beyond their talent level or just plain being stupid, I see it all the time. I hate seeing anyone getting hurt but accept responsibility if you are at fault. Don't come on here digging for information on your case, every manufacturer meets to ROPS standards its up to the individual to upgrade to a stronger cage if they plan on being an aggressive driver and pushing the limits.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I had the Fabwerx cage installed n my 2017 YXZ1000 SS SE model by Alternative Offload in Chatsworth. Unfortunately our next Utah trip we had a rollover, my nephew hit a corner a little to fast and panicked hitting the brake halfway through the skid, we rolled hitting the driver side first and rolled 3/4 roll ended up with the passenger side down. The impact did over $40,000 in damage bent the frame badly front shock mount broke along with many other components. I always wear a helmet, but on this trip I had lent my helmet to my cousin who was riding in another vehicle. Thank god my nephew and myself didn't get any injuries (we were probably only doing 35 or so when the wheels came off the ground but it really struck hard, enough to total the vehicle. (i had my go pro on the front bumper though its hard to make out much from the video) My friends son is an engineer and thinks the more rigid frame transferred more of the force into the frame doing more damage to the vehicle, and maybe the stock cage acting like a crumple zone wouldn't of let frame sustain as much damage. I am just happy there wasn't any serious injuries, I can always build another car.

·
Registered
224 Posts
This is one of those topics that peaks my interest. Like most others, I believe that the stock cages are insufficient. However dumontsand brings up a very valid point (or his son's friend does). If the cage deforms, then the frame might not. Maybe. Unfortunately, if it deforms too much, then the driver gets deformed too. No bueno.

I've seen several posts about the thinness of the tubing on the stock cage. Does anyone know what it is? Many race car and even Baja trucks have pretty thin DOM tubing for their cages (.095" wall thickness). To a point, the real strength of a cage is not in the tubing thickness. It is in the way the cage is built (geometry) and the diameter of the tubing. 1.75" tubing is a pretty good size to have.

In my opinion, most of the aftermarket cages are much better because they are better designed than the stock cage. Their tubing intersections are more supported and there is much better cross bracing and gusseting.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Most aftermarket cages are 0.95 wall and compared to the stock one 095 is heavy duty. When you remove the factory cage you have to support the car in the middle to keep it from sagging and binding and making removal difficult I am of the opinion that the aftermarket cage will strengthen the frame . To me I don’t care what happens to the frame just so that cage keeps its shape . I don’t think any of the Offroad race teams build cages with crush zones in mind . I asked a friend who owns a race care prep shop what size the stock cage was and he laughed and said oh two thin wall .

1 - 20 of 27 Posts