Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Most aftermarket cages are 0.95 wall and compared to the stock one 095 is heavy duty. When you remove the factory cage you have to support the car in the middle to keep it from sagging and binding and making removal difficult I am of the opinion that the aftermarket cage will strengthen the frame . To me I don’t care what happens to the frame just so that cage keeps its shape . I don’t think any of the Offroad race teams build cages with crush zones in mind . I asked a friend who owns a race care prep shop what size the stock cage was and he laughed and said oh two thin wall .
I’m with this guy. Who cares if the frame is totaled if the cage keeps you alive. Buggies can be replaced.....lives can’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
224 Posts
Most aftermarket cages are 0.95 wall and compared to the stock one 095 is heavy duty. When you remove the factory cage you have to support the car in the middle to keep it from sagging and binding and making removal difficult I am of the opinion that the aftermarket cage will strengthen the frame . To me I don’t care what happens to the frame just so that cage keeps its shape . I don’t think any of the Offroad race teams build cages with crush zones in mind . I asked a friend who owns a race care prep shop what size the stock cage was and he laughed and said oh two thin wall .
I guess I'll just have to cut into mine to see.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I only realized the danger of stock cage after seeing pics of multiple cages crumbled like a tin can. What a false sense of security.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I guess I'll just have to cut into mine to see.
I cut into the A-pillar of a wrecked stock cage and it measured around .080" as I recall.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I cut into the A-pillar of a wrecked stock cage and it measured around .080" as I recall.
Thanks. That is not as thin as I feared.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had the Fabwerx cage installed n my 2017 YXZ1000 SS SE model by Alternative Offload in Chatsworth. Unfortunately our next Utah trip we had a rollover, my nephew hit a corner a little to fast and panicked hitting the brake halfway through the skid, we rolled hitting the driver side first and rolled 3/4 roll ended up with the passenger side down. The impact did over $40,000 in damage bent the frame badly front shock mount broke along with many other components. I always wear a helmet, but on this trip I had lent my helmet to my cousin who was riding in another vehicle. Thank god my nephew and myself didn't get any injuries (we were probably only doing 35 or so when the wheels came off the ground but it really struck hard, enough to total the vehicle. (i had my go pro on the front bumper though its hard to make out much from the video) My friends son is an engineer and thinks the more rigid frame transferred more of the force into the frame doing more damage to the vehicle, and maybe the stock cage acting like a crumple zone wouldn't of let frame sustain as much damage. I am just happy there wasn't any serious injuries, I can always build another car.
How does one do 40k worth of damage to a 20k dollar machine? That’s a hell of a wreck lol

21 - 27 of 27 Posts