Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After looking at these pictures of the YXZ stock cage crushed like an aluminum can I might seriously look into an aftermarket replacement, to think this damage was done rolling over in sand is astonishing to me, or maybe it flew off that dune and flipped end over end. Photo from YXZ addicts on FB.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Wow. That's not very comforting at all. I like Marc's cage a lot....I may be giving Berserk a call here sometime soon.

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
It was an end over end wreck and from what I gathered the top is what hit first, even a well built aftermarket cage might have bent. Both occupants walked away so I'd have a hard time saying it failed. But, there are certainly stronger options available.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
image.jpeg Agreed, i have been duning at glamis dunes since 1984 and have never rolled anything because driving careless gets you in trouble. Drove a rzr hard there for over 5000 miles, before that quads, buggies, jeep, dirt bikes , 3 wheel atc and now the yxz. Slow down if you don't know where your going or follow someone who does. Just my 5 cents! LIVE TO RIDE, RIDE TO LIVE!

·
Registered
494 Posts
An after market roll bar done correctly in combination with a properly installed harness is your best chance of walking away. Everyone knows that. That being said the factory roll bar is better than nothing. Try that same flip on a quad and see how you feel afterwards.

·
Registered
121 Posts
We always run around an area and learn it before the pedal to the metal happens. Expecially the dunes or after any rain in the desert there could be a new wash out. Glad they walked away.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Cage Upgrade

this is the cage upgrade I am going to order once Chandy gets the blue powder coat ready. Says should be ready this week. I like what this cage offers.. keeps stock cage for front crush zones, oem look and roof, but offers strength where I think is needed the most. also solves the harness mount bar issue... they dont have it on their site yet. Im quoted $480 shipped in blue powder coat. $450 in black..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
The loops for the harness on the harness bar seem redundant. Wonder why he added them.

Sent via Tapatalk from my mobile device, while I am in fact...mobile

·
Registered
83 Posts
I doubt that it's unsafe or a company like Yamaha wouldn't have them. They are not completely invulnerable to every scenario man can throw at them and withstand their form is more accurate.

·
Registered
846 Posts
i saw that.. was thinking just a handle.. I will wrapping my harness around the larger dia tubing..

·
Registered
846 Posts
this is Chandy's reply.. guess they do serve a purpose.. "Since the bar is bent for good looks instead of having a straight bar with a big awkward tab to drop it, we use what they call harness retainers, chances are 99% your harnesses will never ride up against them but it's there to locate the harness and prevent from slipping up the side of the bar"

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
this is Chandy's reply.. guess they do serve a purpose.. "Since the bar is bent for good looks instead of having a straight bar with a big awkward tab to drop it, we use what they call harness retainers, chances are 99% your harnesses will never ride up against them but it's there to locate the harness and prevent from slipping up the side of the bar"
A retainer makes since and could come into play with stock seats. I think if I were installing that with aftermarket seats I'd ask for it to be deleted.

Sent via Tapatalk from my mobile device, while I am in fact...mobile

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I read that the ROPS complies with the 1-2011 standard, looks like the latest standard is 1-2014. I don't know if the later standard would mean a better cage design, but maybe on future models Yamaha will add some more bracing. During testing I'm sure they weren't launching test models off dunes landing on the roof. As many of you mentioned, safety starts with the driver knowing the terrain.

rops.JPG

ANSI Standard

·
Registered
846 Posts
Where is it you found that rear support?
facebook post on Yamaha YXZ Addicts group. Im going to order mine this week (i hope).. been IMing via facebook with him..

Reactions: Gibbster
1 - 20 of 68 Posts