Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Stock cage looked like it did its job to me. It absorbed the energy that could have otherwise been sent on to the passengers and kept them safe while doing it. Having components bend in a crash is not always a bad thing.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Chaney is building mine this week for OEM bar since I have the Dragon Fire relocation kit for the shoulder harnesses that bolts to the lower bar under the access panel. That way I can still open the access panel easily.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Chaney is building mine this week for OEM bar since I have the Dragon Fire relocation kit for the shoulder harnesses that bolts to the lower bar under the access panel. That way I can still open the access panel easily.
I like the idea of strengthening the OEM cage to give some added protection without shelling out 2500.00 for a full replacement. I have 4 trees in the back yard but none sprout money. I'll wait for a report on these braces.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
I like the idea of strengthening the OEM cage to give some added protection without shelling out 2500.00 for a full replacement. I have 4 trees in the back yard but none sprout money. I'll wait for a report on these braces.
Just talk to Desertdog; he can give you seeds to plant some of those money trees! :glee::greedy_dollars:

·
Registered
902 Posts
I was going to wait a little bit on the Roll cage , but seeing this ,wow , looks like they walked away ....my car got picked up today from motor shop to fab shop to get custom cage done . Will how it turns out...

·
Registered
217 Posts
I went with this set. I'm really liking it, but it doesn't have the loops on the bar for my harnesses and it was driving me nuts having the harness slide out on that bar. So I just put a couple bar clamps on the bar, problem solved.
http://www.yxztalk.com/forum/16-fac...enhancemet-products-post40306.html #post40306

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
Theoretically it went off a 100' creek bank at 40mph in the foggy morning and the driver got ejected because his harness failed...but everyone is fine. Insurance has already paid out on it....so the story goes. I'd be curious if he gets another Yamaha or something else, take that comment anyway you like.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Wow Marc, freaking car is totaled , good thing they walked away. .the stock cage looks like it held together.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Ejected? Harness failure? I thought those things kept you in like a sardine in a can. I see the rear harness bar is bent, be curious to know more details, this thing was destroyed. Glad the people lived to tell the tale.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I find it funny that a Corporation like Yamaha , that has to meet a crash test Standard before selling a vehicle, is being second-guessed about the safety of their cage. Ask your cage manufacture if their liability policy,if you get injured with their cage, is as high as Yamaha's is.
I'm not positive on this but I think as a ROPS(roll over protective structure) I don't think the tests it has to pass are closer to a roll over and supporting the weight of the vehicle, not a high speed crash. Yes if you get injured you could probably sue yamaha for more, but that won't help any if you are dead etc... also the attitude of sue them if I get hurt is bad for the sport. To me I can look at the stock cage vs aftermarket and based off the difference in thickness of tube, amount of bracing etc.. I know which I would want in the event of a wreck

·
Registered
726 Posts
I'm not positive on this but I think as a ROPS(roll over protective structure) I don't think the tests it has to pass are closer to a roll over and supporting the weight of the vehicle, not a high speed crash. Yes if you get injured you could probably sue yamaha for more, but that won't help any if you are dead etc... also the attitude of sue them if I get hurt is bad for the sport. To me I can look at the stock cage vs aftermarket and based off the difference in thickness of tube, amount of bracing etc.. I know which I would want in the event of a wreck
No stock vehicle is designed for the crazy aggressive driving many of us do that's why my cage needs to match my right foot and sometimes, a lack of common sense. In addition to the fact I'm 6'5" and don't fit well in a stock bolt together cage was a motivating factor in having Berzerk build me a custom cage. There is a majority that will never flip, roll, crash their car and for them I think the std setup is just fine.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I'm pitching in on this without expert experience just like many of you. A company like Yamaha has disclaimers in every piece of literature they print and give to their consumers, which indicate you are Not to do THIS, Not to do THAT..... They are not saying their cage is at ALL made for competition racing or even aggressive "out of normal" driving. I read the instruction book.. If I drove like they say I should in the manual, I don't think I'd ever flip this bitch.. so Yea.. Yamaha as a company has done their due diligence to cover what industry has dictated is appropriate.. but not to extent of the abuse that someone that will install a full race cage is intending to put their ride through..

Option 1. Drive your YXZ as defined in the Yamaha manual. No issues.. probably never flip her.
Option 2. Drive like you stole it with Stock cage. Probably ok because Yamaha has done a great job on a stock cage that has proven not to kill anyone yet.
Option 3. If you intend on driving like you stole it and want to feel safer, re-enforce the cage.
Option 4. If you race or drive super aggressive. Your probably a bit more than a weekend warrior.. then most invest in full cage so they can flip get back up and finish.. dealing with internal injuries after.. :)..

·
Registered
404 Posts
Bend yours and buy mine. I have a perfect stock cage & roof for $50 if you come pick it up.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Bend yours and buy mine. I have a perfect stock cage & roof for $50 if you come pick it up.
Well there ya go. Will get right on that! Lmao!

Reactions: I10Fwy
21 - 40 of 68 Posts