Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Looks like it did its job pretty well. You're here talking with us right?
Agreed. Cage was prob made to give like a crumple zone to reduce impact on your body ( IMO ). factory cages seem to be one time use deals in harder wrecks at least. Same thing happened to me and my gf in my teryx few years ago when we endo'd over a jump, no injuries but cage looked like a rats nest; will say compared to the teryx tubing and design the YXZ is 10 times better. doesn't look like it actually failed, it's still together just crumpled a bit. Glad your ok!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Look I am an structural / mechanical engineer however, this is not professional advice just advice from one enthusiast to others to seek professional guidance. I have built, raced and crashed rally cars, I have seen plenty of wrecked caged vehicles in the same scenarios outlined here and more. So, I would like to think I look at things with a little more critical eye than the average bear. If you are serious about making your rig safe there are some things you should know:

1. I have not read the standard but to my understanding the ANSI ROPS standard is NOT for crashing it is for ROLL OVER PROTECTION only. Again not intimately familiar with the code but, my understanding is that it was written for machinery i.e. tractors, dozers, excavators etc. rolling over at slow speeds.

2. From what I have seen most aftermarket cages are built for ascetics. Other than some larger tubing diameters and wall thickness they don't have a lot to offer in terms of protection. In fact lots of them seem to compromise it by lowering the roof which reduces the space between the driver and the bars and thus making them less safe.

3. Fortunately for you and me the FIA (Federation International Automobile) has come up with a relatively straight forward set of prescriptive rules for building cages. The standard has been developed by engineers testing and lots of real world accident investigations. Not buddy at the fab shop saying "its pretty stout". The best part is it is available for free on the internet. Its called FIA Appendix J Article 253 a quick Google will likely take you to the latest version. Again disclaimer this is not professional advice. Anything I put a cage in is build to this. Why would you waste your money on anything less? It likely will not cost much more and it has data and engineering behind it saying it works. Again not offering professional advice or telling you what to do but, when it comes to my life I don't stop with the cage. FIA has standards for helmets, seats, seat mounting, cage padding, seat belts, head an neck restraint devices, hand restraints, fire suits, fire suppression systems and the list goes on. Want to see some horrific stuff look up the stuff people have done to there hands and arms not keeping them inside the cockpit in a roll over. Information worth noting, the standards for Snell M rated helmets the M stands for Motorcycle and they are tested for single impacts where the SA is an auto racing designation rated for multiple impacts thus the M rated helmets are typically not allowed by the rules for auto racing. Some resources I find useful are Rally Americas Rule Book and the Canadian Association of Rally Sports Rule Book.

·
Registered
252 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
I went with one of these. Spent 3 nights reading everything I could on YXZ Cages and felt this was what I wanted. I share my ride with my inexperienced 15yr old son and shit happens so the money didn't scare me.

Yamaha YFZ1000R sport side-by-side
i like that cage but just couldnt stomach the price difference so i have https://krashoffroad.com/products/y...currently-in-production-contact-us-for-orders one of these being made with +2 inch height increase for me @ 6'7"

·
Registered
49 Posts
i like that cage but just couldnt stomach the price difference so i have https://krashoffroad.com/products/y...currently-in-production-contact-us-for-orders one of these being made with +2 inch height increase for me @ 6'7"
They do a very nice job with the bracing. That looks very safe from my chair.....excellent choice.

A big part of my decision after the safety factor and looks was the recessed area for the light bar. Being in Central IL we are riding in the woods and anything above the roofline gets abused. I also got the roof and framing powder coated blue to match....free ship was an unexpected surprise.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Looks like a new cage is up next on my list, especially after seeing how the stock one holds up
They all look to have done their job to me. Just because they bend doesn't mean they haven't done their job. You should have seen how the front of an arctic cat cage folded like a house of cards if you want to see one fail at its job.

Im not saying that they cant be improved on with aftermarket but tell me what can't.

·
Registered
84 Posts
They all look to have done their job to me. Just because they bend doesn't mean they haven't done their job. You should have seen how the front of an arctic cat cage folded like a house of cards if you want to see one fail at its job.

Im not saying that they cant be improved on with aftermarket but tell me what can't.
I'm not saying they didn't do their job. This post just reminded me that I should probably invest in safety before performance

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you want to drive reckless at a high rate of speed over unknown terrain will drop offs and ledges, you may want to consider a stronger cage. I have been running the dunes for 15 years and almost all of these accidents are from being careless.

Just my 2 Cents
The yxz my son was a passenger in went over onto it's top. There was nothing reckless about how they were driving and now my son is paralyzed from the chest down. Driving skill can help but the bottom line is the vehicle. Unfortunately, we are going to live with this for the rest of our lives. Please be careful.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
41 - 60 of 68 Posts