Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Can only say again how the stock utv’s come with a “roof support” not a “roll cage” please be careful out there and safety first, anyone making a new purchase should plan some important upgrades as part of that new vehicle.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I guess the real question is are you going to do things that are unsafe? My car doesn't have a cage and the roof would crumple if it was rolled but am I going to put a cage in it, no. If I was going to do things that make rolling my Yxz over probable then I would upgrade it. Since I'm not going to be doing unsafe things the stocker is fine for me. I'm sure 90%+ of side by sides have the factory "roof support" and people are not dying like Covid victims:) If you need one get one.

·
Super Moderator
2018 YXZ1000R SE, CageWRX cage
230 Posts
I guess the real question is are you going to do things that are unsafe? My car doesn't have a cage and the roof would crumple if it was rolled but am I going to put a cage in it, no. If I was going to do things that make rolling my Yxz over probable then I would upgrade it. Since I'm not going to be doing unsafe things the stocker is fine for me. I'm sure 90%+ of side by sides have the factory "roof support" and people are not dying like Covid victims:) If you need one get one.
A quick search of the site and you'll find that quite a few of the roll overs were due to avoiding the actions of others or unanticipated trail conditions. Several of which, both on and off-road have been fatal.

For the "Road Warriors" you might want to keep in mind that this type of suspension system is inherently unstable on paved surfaces. Its designed for off-road use.

Nate

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
It’s a shame that the car comes with a totally inadequate cage . Nobody wants to spend 1800.00 to 2000. Or more soon as you leave the show room . Robby Gordon has the right idea to make a race legal cage in the first place

·
Registered
10 Posts
After reading this thread I’m thinking about ordering an intrusion bar ASAP.

The cage may need to come later, but seems like the 2019+ cages would benefit from more lateral and vertical support in the front. Rear already has (what seems like) more support in the rear vs earlier models.

Factory UTV in Sacramento currently says mostly shutdown due to COVID but has the front bar for about $275. Good folks over there. They worked on my sons RZR a while back. They also have rear kits for the older models.

Also time to look for that link to life light helicopter insurance that covers sand mountain area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Cage works has a weld your own kit for like 700 bucks maybe more maybe Less I forget but spending 275 for v bars if you apply that towards real cage you might consider that.

·
Registered
2021 se ss gytr Turbo, clutch
22 Posts
After looking at these pictures of the YXZ stock cage crushed like an aluminum can I might seriously look into an aftermarket replacement, to think this damage was done rolling over in sand is astonishing to me, or maybe it flew off that dune and flipped end over end. Photo from YXZ addicts on FB.
I rented a Honda let my nephew drive and rolled it crushed the cage as well. I just bought a 2021 ss se added a quality roll cage. harness and bumper alba flash GYTR turbo exhaust. So yep A good roll cage not a bad Idea.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts