Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to the accessory page this vehicle needs the optional alternator to run a 27" light bar, that tells me the stock stator does not have much output

Anyone have any numbers on this on the stock system output?

·
Registered
589 Posts
It's kind of blown out of proportion I think. It's 40amps at 3000 rpm and the Can am Maverick is 43amps at 6000 rpm. Personally, I'll put a 27" lightbar then see how it does by watching the battery charge voltage on the display. Just like with any of them, you'll need a 2nd battery to go full disco. Lightbars, stereo's/amps/, whips, winch and so forth.

The good news is I've only seen Yamaha offer the alternator kit as a factory option. Was pricing some Mavericks and they didn't have the option.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
I may be fine then. I run a 40" light bar, comm radio, 2 lighted whips at night on my Mav and have never had a problem. I also have HID headlights.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is 480 watts, on par with the rest. Was just reading the info on the light bars

Thinking about future products not what I personally can run

·
Registered
589 Posts
That Halo lightbar must draw some serious current but I don't think the 27" reliant lightbar would be any problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I talked with one of the Yamaha guys at the Sand Show today and he said the stator makes 480 watts. The alternator kit adds 40 amps.
There is a small black cap screwed onto the end of the engine case, you take that off and attach a shaft to the end of the crankcase that also
has the small pulley for the alternator. The alternator brackets mount the engine case, looks pretty solid. I asked a couple of Yamaha guys about
spinning the drive pulley for the alternator at 10,000 rpm, the one guy said they wouldn't sell if it didn't work.
Location is on the back of the engine and is supposed to come with some kind of shield. The location is fine, nothing could hit the alternator well protected.
I am just going to do the second battery in the cargo box and see if that works first.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
40amps at 14.4 volts = 576 watts If they ran at 12 volts, you would never charge the battery.
Caught me on a technicality but you are right, that seems adequate and wondering why yamaha says add a 27" lightbar need alternator

On adding two batteries, never been a fan really because the battery becomes an accessory like a light bar, needs power to charge it. My answer on a rhino and second battery is use it if you know you are drawing more juice than you are putting out but realize that second battery will die at some point during your ride and make sure it and starting battery are isolated so you can still crank up and go home after the accessory batter has died plus use a deep cycle for the second since it will be charged and discharged a lot.

Todd

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
I was told today by the Yamaha rep it puts out 33 amps at 5k RPMS. He said it will run with a 27" light bar BUT after running continous for 2 hrs the vehicle will shut off due to a dead battery. They said it is highly recommended to add the alternator kit if you add any electrical accessories. I ask why the price was so high and said the kits includes a 40 amp alt with a dust shield, mounting bracket and hardware. It also requires some replacement hard oil lines so they can be re routed.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Can you run a radio without the alternator (and no light bar)?
They told me that the electrical system has only 5 amps in reserve after counting on the cars components to keep it running.
That's not much. He said point blank, if you add any extra electrical items they recommend adding the alternator kit or you run the risk of being stranded with a dead battery.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The told me that the electrical system has only 5 amps in reserve after counting on the cars components to keep it running.
That's not much. He said point blank, if you add any extra electrical items they recommend adding the alternator kit or you run the risk of being stranded with a dead battery.
That sucks but I would like to test it to be sure. Not that I don't believe them but it seems like the only people that say you HAVE to buy the alternator are the ones who sell it. Still, I love that an alternator kit was ready to go before the car was even available. Playing chicken with my few accessories and a dead battery in my teryx is getting old! (Have not had an issue yet but I feel so limited on I can use) Wimpy stators are always one of the major negatives when I weigh utv vs buggy.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts