Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone interested in super fast steering for the YXZ? I've started gathering parts to build a system for my 2014 Viking SxS that is receiving a Yamaha 1049cc swap. The sled that supplied the parts was an EPS equipped unit. The EPS system that the Yamaha Snowmobiles and Grizzly ATVs utilize is very similar to the Viking/Wolverine/YXZ1000R system, but is of course very fast in movement... the sled/griz applications use the same EPS part number, and it produces the assist over roughly 180 degrees of turn. It is suspected, but not yet certain, that the sled/griz EPS ECUs will communicate with the YXZ system, thus making the majority of the swap the mechanical part... which will require fabrication. I plan to use the RX1/Vector/Apex linkage. I am aware of the possible downsides, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.... I have a big fat Viking with 130hp to try and weave through the woods... the thought of not having to work that steering wheel back and forth so much is quite desirable. Again, if there is any interest here, I'll be happy to share.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hess Motorsports is making it I think.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I figured someone would produce a quickener, and I do not want to detract from is likely an excellent product.... But I am curious to know how long the EPS motor can keep up with the speeds that it will be operating at. Hopefully a NON-issue. For that matter, can the sled/atv system provide the assist level required w/o being overloaded? We shall soon find out.... hopefully we will not be seeing the eps light glow on the cluster.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rack vs linkage. There's plenty of room in the frame to mount the linkage. The motor could be mounted up in the column, or down low so it can directly actuate the drag link. The pitman arms have needle bearings and bosses for zerk fittings... low friction, smooth, and fast. Everything can be easily mounted in double shear. Parts are readily available both new and used.
steeringcomp.jpg

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
YXZ assembly vs Grizzly/Snowmobile. Motor exterior dimensions are the same, connections and wire coding are also the same. The sections of the gear cases that contain the worm and wheel have nearly all the same dimensions. The YXZ case is quite different from that point on.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I think the factory steering is spot on. Not to easy not to hard and turns easy or are you talking about the turning radius for shorter turn arounds

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's not the assist level I'm after, though that needs to adequate, too. My desire is significantly reduce the the angle of steering wheel operation (number of turns) to reach full lock.

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Ours has been in the works since June of last year....it's out now and available in a 2:1 ratio - and the 1.25:1 will be finished and out the door by the end of the week......direct factory replacement rack, fully serviceable, billet, no stock internals used - everything custom, made in the good ol USA! :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cool stuff, sure to be a great product. I'd be curious to compare it to the linkage, but being on the east coast in New England, that's not likely to happen very soon.

The decision has been made to install the motor into the interior steering column, just like the stock YXZ unit. It stays clean and well protected here. The desire to place that 10 lbs more than 2 feet lower and centralized in the chassis is quite strong. The conditions down there can be brutal though, dirt, mud, water, heat from the radiator (should it stay in the stock location)... all make the job required more difficult.

The gear ratio of the worm and wheel gears appears to be the same between the two units.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I have the Hess 1.5:1... I really like it.. I read someone that had the 2:1 then switch to 1.5:1 because 2:1 was too stiff and not enough action in the wheel.... there are videos of each set up side by side on their site.. google hess motorsports..

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
I have the Hess 1.5:1... I really like it.. I read someone that had the 2:1 then switch to 1.5:1 because 2:1 was too stiff and not enough action in the wheel.... there are videos of each set up side by side on their site.. google hess motorsports..
Difference being Weller is changing ratio after the pump so the feel should be similar to stock. I'd much rather that.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Difference being Weller is changing ratio after the pump so the feel should be similar to stock. I'd much rather that.
Any pics yet of the Weller setup?

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Yeah, it's been on their site for quite awhile, it looks like a chunk, don't think it will brake. What would you rather have the 1.25 or 2.0 ?
Nice looking unit. Little confused why they would go with a 1.25-1 ratio?.....I would have preferred a 1.5-1 myself. For my personal usage, I would not want the 2.0-1.
Anybody on here who has this rack? Opinions?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts