Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of anyone working on a supercharger for this beast? The turbo will be the boss in the dunes but a blower should kill on the tighter trails as they are always boosting... I know that would be the route I'd like to go!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I thought the same way with my Yami sleds. I have both, a supercharger and a turbo. I started with a supercharger, man it was like a drug, I got use to the power and I craved for more so I went with a turbo. Omg what a big difference (for me anyway) it was like night and day. The adreneline rush is just crazy. The beauty on the turbo is I could adjust the power by programming the boost on the fly unlike the Super, I have to change pulleys.

I switch back and forth but I always end up with the turbo. If I were to boost, I would go turbo and never look back. Again, this is my opinion :).

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought the same way with my Yami sleds. I have both, a supercharger and a turbo. I started with a supercharger, man it was like a drug, I got use to the power and I craved for more so I went with a turbo. Omg what a big difference (for me anyway) it was like night and day. The adreneline rush is just crazy. The beauty on the turbo is I could adjust the power by programming the boost on the fly unlike the Super, I have to change pulleys.

I switch back and forth but I always end up with the turbo. If I were to boost, I would go turbo and never look back. Again, this is my opinion :).
From my current experience driving the 2015 Mav Turbo, I would have to go with the blower. I think that it would provide more of a consistent power band as there is zero lag and less potential to cause handling issues (due to lag and then the sudden onset of big power) in the corners especially if there was a high amount of boost. I currently have a SCAPEX and love the instant power. I have had turbos as well and while they have come a very long way over the years I still prefer the instant power of the blower. However, I love that the turbo boost can be easily adjusted and that they can produce a ton of power, especially if you can let the motor sing!! JMO...

·
Registered
11 Posts

I Agree, the power of the turbo over the blower on snowmobiles is no comparison. Will have to wait and see with manual trans and shifting, but lag is basically non existent with the sleds.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think a Super has their place, but in my opinion if you have to drive it with a belt and some sort of output shaft off of the crank, then it will not be a good fit for an off road vehicle.
We build turbo kits for snowmobiles, and now have a proto kit running on the YXZ and the lag is pretty much non existent.
A Super also takes power to turn where as a turbo obviously uses exhaust pressure.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think a Super has their place, but in my opinion if you have to drive it with a belt and some sort of output shaft off of the crank, then it will not be a good fit for an off road vehicle.
We build turbo kits for snowmobiles, and now have a proto kit running on the YXZ and the lag is pretty much non existent.
A Super also takes power to turn where as a turbo obviously uses exhaust pressure.
Agreed. S/Cs take power to make power. With all of the power being up at the top of the rev range, a S/C setup would rob you on the bottom end. The YXZ will benefit more from making use of "wasted" energy than it will from parasitic energy creation.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts