Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm looking for someone who has the Packard Performance Supercharger installed on their YXZ, but not the gear reduction kit. I'd like to know if the supercharger gives you enough low-end torque to go up steep, rocky hills with less momentum/speed?

I have to go up steep hills at about 8 mph to maintain enough torque/power at about 3000 rpm, and that's a bit fast when it's rocky (I have the rekluse clutch so I don't stall, but you can still burn up your clutch if you lug it too much...). I was ready to get the gear reduction kit but I'm reluctant to give up some of the top end speed (I hit 75mph often in the desert), but I spend a lot of time in the mountains of Utah, and would like to go to Moab and do some rock crawling. If the supercharger adds enough low-end torque and horsepower that you can climb steep hills at a slower speed (like 3-4 mph?), then that would be the best of both worlds - go hill climbing slower but also have the extra power for the dunes and desert! I'd love to hear your experience and opinions!

·
Registered
240 Posts
nothing you do to the motor is going to do what gearing will do. Best of both worlds is having both - Get the Tubeworks 45/15 and the supercharger.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hello, I'm looking for someone who has the Packard Performance Supercharger installed on their YXZ, but not the gear reduction kit. I'd like to know if the supercharger gives you enough low-end torque to go up steep, rocky hills with less momentum/speed?

I have to go up steep hills at about 8 mph to maintain enough torque/power at about 3000 rpm, and that's a bit fast when it's rocky (I have the rekluse clutch so I don't stall, but you can still burn up your clutch if you lug it too much...). I was ready to get the gear reduction kit but I'm reluctant to give up some of the top end speed (I hit 75mph often in the desert), but I spend a lot of time in the mountains of Utah, and would like to go to Moab and do some rock crawling. If the supercharger adds enough low-end torque and horsepower that you can climb steep hills at a slower speed (like 3-4 mph?), then that would be the best of both worlds - go hill climbing slower but also have the extra power for the dunes and desert! I'd love to hear your experience and opinions!
I just so happen to have a YXZ with the Packard Supercharger and no fear reduction. I run 30” tires with no problem. The boost kicks in right at 2500-3000rpm. I see 4psi at that rpm range, and according to the dyno graph, you’re almost at peak torque right there, 70+lb/ft. I have the Rekluse clutch as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very helpful to see the dyno charts and to know it's hitting near peak torque at that low of RPM - thanks! Good to know on the 30" tires too, I've been wanting to switch. Do you drive it much in steep rocky terrain where you can't have the speed like in the dunes? If so, how does it do?

Also read your other thread on your brother's machine with the turbo vs yours with the supercharger - I'm leaning towards the supercharger since I'm spending more time in the mountains, about 20% at the dunes, so the instant torque seems like the best fit for where I drive (plus a lot cheaper).

On the comment from down4glamis - I agree about the gearing comment (to really do Moab right, I'd probably need the gear reduction). I don't have the money for both, and I've heard of some guys that had the gear reduction first, then got the supercharger and wish they had taller gears with the increased power...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Very helpful to see the dyno charts and to know it's hitting near peak torque at that low of RPM - thanks! Good to know on the 30" tires too, I've been wanting to switch. Do you drive it much in steep rocky terrain where you can't have the speed like in the dunes? If so, how does it do?

Also read your other thread on your brother's machine with the turbo vs yours with the supercharger - I'm leaning towards the supercharger since I'm spending more time in the mountains, about 20% at the dunes, so the instant torque seems like the best fit for where I drive (plus a lot cheaper).

On the comment from down4glamis - I agree about the gearing comment (to really do Moab right, I'd probably need the gear reduction). I don't have the money for both, and I've heard of some guys that had the gear reduction first, then got the supercharger and wish they had taller gears with the increased power...
I ride mostly open desert and dunes, not so much mountainous terrain. If you’re doing steep climbs, the gear reduction w/supercharger will be unbeatable. The turbo is great in the dunes, but I personally prefer the instant power of the supercharger. Let us know what you go with, always cool to see different builds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the prompt and insightful comments - you've both been very helpful! I believe I'll start with the Supercharger - I struggle on the big dunes so the extra power will be a welcome boost (I've been a bit underwhelmed with the YXZ's power in the dunes - sand is a power sucker!). Then I'll try it out in the mountains and see how it does. If I need the gear reduction - the 45/15 may be the way to go. I was thinking of the 70/30 gear reduction, but that may be the setup that folks wanted taller gears once they got the supercharger... I'll update this thread when I pull the trigger (just sold my 2002 Raptor 660 to finance this upgrade). Thanks again!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have the 70/30gear reduction and do alot of mountain riding. I think that even with a supercharger you will still be geared too tall for any technical driving. I ran a heavy flywheel to start with. It did let the engine lug at lower rpm but the gearing is still just too tall for slower techinical riding. There is no way to drive smartly and with finesse at slow speed. Not to mention if you have to stop on a rutted rocky hill then try to get restarted. I do not regret adding gear reduction. I do wish that I had added the 15% 5th gear. I recently added 32x10x15 tires and it works great with the gear reduction. If I hade the 15% wit the larger tires I would almost be at factory top speed. If only 20% of your riding is dunes I feel you would be better served with gear reduction. Think about staring up at a rocky hill and worrying about your line instead of your clutch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the 70/30gear reduction and do alot of mountain riding. I think that even with a supercharger you will still be geared too tall for any technical driving. I ran a heavy flywheel to start with. It did let the engine lug at lower rpm but the gearing is still just too tall for slower techinical riding. There is no way to drive smartly and with finesse at slow speed. Not to mention if you have to stop on a rutted rocky hill then try to get restarted. I do not regret adding gear reduction. I do wish that I had added the 15% 5th gear. I recently added 32x10x15 tires and it works great with the gear reduction. If I hade the 15% wit the larger tires I would almost be at factory top speed. If only 20% of your riding is dunes I feel you would be better served with gear reduction. Think about staring up at a rocky hill and worrying about your line instead of your clutch.
Good points - thanks! I had the same thinking in looking at the 15% 5th gear option to not sacrifice the top end with the taller tires, but the only way to get it is to ship your tranny to Tubeworks ($2k plus shipping and pulling the tranny yourself, $$, too bad Yamaha doesn't offer the different gear options). Good to know on the 32" tires too - those are huge!

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Good points - thanks! I had the same thinking in looking at the 15% 5th gear option to not sacrifice the top end with the taller tires, but the only way to get it is to ship your tranny to Tubeworks ($2k plus shipping and pulling the tranny yourself, $$, too bad Yamaha doesn't offer the different gear options). Good to know on the 32" tires too - those are huge!
Unless you plan on doing over 100mph that 5th gear option is not needed. I have the 45/15 and removed the OD and don't miss it at all. Still does 90 with 30" tires and I don't have that awful rpm drop from 4th to 5th.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I paid less than 1000 for my gear reduction installed. I removed the transmission, took to dealer, they installed the GYTR kit 250.00(purchased online for 650.00 if I remember correctly). I then reinstalled. It was a job and did take doing but I started on a Friday afternoon and had it done by a Saturday afternoon. Dealer installed the kit after hours with me helping. I added 150.00 for stuff I'm sure I didn't mention. I ddin't pay 550.00 for the 15% overdrive with the assumption I would spend the money on oversized tires. Looking back I would have bought the 15% because I do ride alot on the street and would like to cruise at lower rpm. That being said I don't want the rpm drop bad enough to remove the transmission again. Keep in mind Im in Alabama. Sand dunes are like unicorns around here. I rarely get into 5th on the trail.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts