Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found it was kicking and bucking until I did what someone loaded on here. Take all preload out of rear. It really fixed it but now it drags on everything lol. I want lots of clearance yet a nice non kicking trail dune ride. To me I need a soft rate spring but don’t want to buy things 2-3x to get it right. I ride 2up and lots of stuff in trunk with lots of accessories.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sell it and buy a Polaris General.

The YXZ is a PURE SPORT machine. It has a sport suspension setup meant for racing and aggressive trail riding. It’s gonna ride like a Corvette, not a Cadillac. If you want a plush comfy ride, you bought the wrong machine.

Your only other option is custom suspension.

·
Registered
2019 YXZ SS SE
695 Posts
I found it was kicking and bucking until I did what someone loaded on here. Take all preload out of rear. It really fixed it but now it drags on everything lol. I want lots of clearance yet a nice non kicking trail dune ride. To me I need a soft rate spring but don’t want to buy things 2-3x to get it right. I ride 2up and lots of stuff in trunk with lots of accessories.
Call Weller, they can help you out. They race the YXZ and know all the ends and outs of the suspension.

Reactions: Doc6792

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sell it and buy a Polaris General.

The YXZ is a PURE SPORT machine. It has a sport suspension setup meant for racing and aggressive trail riding. It’s gonna ride like a Corvette, not a Cadillac. If you want a plush comfy ride, you bought the wrong machine.

Your only other option is custom suspension.
Custom valving and spring package was what im after. But thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Weller or Shock Therapy will improve what you have but like others have said the car was designed for short corse track racing that's why it kind of sits low . When they first came out they had 27 inch tires and have gone up to 29 inch but compared to other brands that's kind of small for off road . You will find that the most popular mod on this Fourm is to increase tire size to at least 30 inch or more to gain the clearance you are after thus improving ride . The down side is this leads to a gear change and more money but things improve . Next improvement is long travel but that leads to more money . If you are looking for the most comfortable ride go LT.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Weller or Shock Therapy will improve what you have but like others have said the car was designed for short corse track racing that's why it kind of sits low . When they first came out they had 27 inch tires and have gone up to 29 inch but compared to other brands that's kind of small for off road . You will find that the most popular mod on this Fourm is to increase tire size to at least 30 inch or more to gain the clearance you are after thus improving ride . The down side is this leads to a gear change and more money but things improve . Next improvement is long travel but that leads to more money . If you are looking for the most comfortable ride go LT.
I talked to shock Therapy thanks. I have 30" tire and gear change to 45/30/15 now and turbo setup. I was just seeing if someone bought a setup from those two vendors and rode trails and dunes like I do was all. But all good ill get springs ordered and send in shocks in the off season that never seems to happen LOL.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have both ran a stock suspension setup with MTS valving and springs and Wellers Cognetio LT, shoot any questions you may have and I will answer what I can.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I have built two cars one with Eibach spring kit this was my first move and it was an improvement but I expected better results so I called Weller only to be told that they use different spring rates with their valving . I then talked to shock therapy and they said they could improve what I have with the Eibach dual rate existing kit that I have . It was better but not what I expected as I was used to the night and day difference from my dirt bike years having Pro circuit or race tech set up my dirt bikes . The yxz was still rough so it did it all over with a long travel. My opinion is the YXz is a short little track car and it needs work in the suspension department if you use the car for long desert and trail rides . That is if you don’t want the shit beat out of you . The other car was done one time by Weller and it feels just like the shock therapy set up . The Weller set they call KOH king of the hammers is a race set up . The ST and koh both get smoother the faster you go it seems to me the small stuff you feel it all . That’s my two cents if it helps . I am still looking for a much smoother ride and more room thus the speed UTV that’s on order .

·
Registered
84 Posts
to echo Rocken Robin, my valving on Eibach shocks from MTS on X2s was a very nice upgrade from stock springs and valving, really smoothed out the chop and the rear hop, but still had to drive the car with restraint through the dunes when encountering large dug out transitions and g-outs. The Weller LT and their spring setup and valving takes the big hits without needing to slow down, mashes through the whoops longer and smoother than the MTS setup BUT, the small chop and bump-steer (at least in 4wd) is very noticeable and translates through the steering wheel. It's a trade-off but for my kind of riding and fast group in the sand at least it's well worth it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Stock springs and valving are set up super stiff to pass the government rollover test. Contact Shock Therapy http://shocktherapyst.com and get their spring and revalve. You will need to ship your shocks to them but you will love it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone. This what what I was after. I’ll get springs now and send shocks when I have some downtime this winter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts