Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Appreciate the help in advance. My Yxz has the fan override from dz motorsports. Attached image is the wiring diagram how mine looks to be wired. Pins 6&7 are jumped Ground, and 2&8 are jumped Power, for what its worth - connector image attached.

Currently the switch operates as such ---
Key On.. Switch Off.. Leds* On
Rock Switch On.. Leds* On.. Fan/Power On
*not sure if the top and bottom Leds are both on at either position, when I press the switch I don't believe I see any visual change (I guess the Red could be hard to tell) -- I have the 'older style' switch from OTRATTW that originally came with the kit, as in the attached image.

What I am trying to accomplish is ---
Key On.. Switch Off.. Leds Off (both Leds Off)
Rock Switch On.. Leds On (both Leds On).. Fan/Power On

Is this possible.. maybe if I jump #8 to #3, and put the power wire directly to #2 - leave everything else as is?

If there's a different 'fan override' switch I can buy with the functionality I'm after, I don't mind doing that. I'm looking for a 'slimmer' switch anyway as I mounted it in the center console where the 'pilot/seatbelt' light was.

On a side note, anyone know what the best 'type' of Leds are to get for inside the switch, to swap out bulb colors. Should they be 'diffused' or 'clear lens'?

Thank you for any assistance.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I don't see a lower light + available so the closest you are going to get to your desired operation is your thought to take the switched output, pin 3, to the upper led control input, pin 8. That is probably the best because you will still be able to find the switch in the dark and then get an additional indication when switch is turned on. I am sure there are switches you could find that will allow you to stay dark if desired.....

·
Registered
458 Posts
Or you could disconnect the low side indicator - at pin 6 and make the pin 3 to pin 8 connection and then you would be completely dark until you turn the switch on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So i have done a lot of these style switches and all of them have been the same wiring style. Which is not the same as the diagram that you posted. I drew something up that shows what every single one has been and the other one is what you would need to do to have no led's except with the switch is on. Let me know if this helps.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the responses. I received the diagram and such from the mfg so I edited the thread, initially didn’t have that. Per the mfg, the switch could be configured 2 ways for the LEDs:

Lower dependent LED
#2 & 6 (+ keyed power)
#8 & 7 (- ground)
# 3 (signal out to relay)

Upper dependent LED
#8 & #2 (+ KEYED POWER)
#7 & 6 (- GROUND)
#3 (SIGNAL OUT TO RELAY)

The harness that came with mine is wired like the ‘Upper dependent LED’, so I’ll just have to change up some wiring a bit on the harness side connector to redo the pins for the LEDs. Thanks again

·
Registered
10 Posts
That makes sense. Yeah for less wiring, if you cut the connections from 8 to 2. make sure the 2 is still your source power then connect 3 and 8 together you will accomplish the same thing with less wiring.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts