Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know where to pickup a switched 12v source? I'd like to wire up my illuminated rockers but would like to do it from a 12v sourced controlled by the ignition.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Are you wanting to run an additional battery tied into the system?
if so, you would want a 12 volt isolator. This would keep your primary
battery from draining to low to start your ride.

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At this point I just want to light the labeled LED in the rocker switches that are always on without adding a switch to control a switch.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I think the cigarette lighter outlet is keyed with the ignition!

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Man this forum is awesome, isn't it? :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
just ordered one of those as well. Great find and free shipping

·
Registered
730 Posts
Just ordered one too!

·
Registered
10 Posts
IMG_4547.JPG
Just installed this bad boy along with my harness kit. Neat and simple

·
Registered
353 Posts
So I am banging my head against the wall trying to figure out this electrical. If I order this harness would I basically take a wire coming off it to power the lower led on my switch? And jumper off that to the others for ignition hot? Here is the back of one of my switches

The #7 would go to ground and piggybacked off the other switches. The lower left would go to the accessory such as whips, lights, etc. The middle left would be a + coming from my fuse block. The #8 would be the single wire coming from DZ harness. Does that sound correct?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Sounds correct, but be best to post diagram of switch from vendor. Otherwise, I'd really be assuming it's correct.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The best way to set up a switched power source is with a relay. If you go to the relays in the center console, each one has four wires to it ( 2 small ones, 2 bigger ones ). Check the small red ( it also has an additional color ) with the test light. It should turn off and on with the key. Tap a wire into this one and run it to terminal 86 on a 4 or 5 pin relay. Run a ground to terminal 85 on the relay. Run a wire with a fuse ( 20 to 30 amp or whatever is appropriate for the circuit you are powering ) from terminal 30 on the relay to the positive battery post. Run a wire from terminal 87 on the relay to what you are powering ( switches, lights, etc. ). This way you are using the stock wiring just to turn the relay on and off. The relay uses very little power ( about .25 amp ). The accessories hooked up to the relay have their own path to the battery now so you don't have to worry about overloading a circuit.

·
Registered
726 Posts
So I am banging my head against the wall trying to figure out this electrical. If I order this harness would I basically take a wire coming off it to power the lower led on my switch? And jumper off that to the others for ignition hot? Here is the back of one of my switches

The #7 would go to ground and piggybacked off the other switches. The lower left would go to the accessory such as whips, lights, etc. The middle left would be a + coming from my fuse block. The #8 would be the single wire coming from DZ harness. Does that sound correct?
Ask Dayton lol

·
Registered
353 Posts
The best way to set up a switched power source is with a relay. If you go to the relays in the center console, each one has four wires to it ( 2 small ones, 2 bigger ones ). Check the small red ( it also has an additional color ) with the test light. It should turn off and on with the key. Tap a wire into this one and run it to terminal 86 on a 4 or 5 pin relay. Run a ground to terminal 85 on the relay. Run a wire with a fuse ( 20 to 30 amp or whatever is appropriate for the circuit you are powering ) from terminal 30 on the relay to the positive battery post. Run a wire from terminal 87 on the relay to what you are powering ( switches, lights, etc. ). This way you are using the stock wiring just to turn the relay on and off. The relay uses very little power ( about .25 amp ). The accessories hooked up to the relay have their own path to the battery now so you don't have to worry about overloading a circuit.
Would I use a relay for each thing I am connecting or would one handle multiple items? I am currently hooking up 2 lighted led whips, a helmet blower, and a horn to switches. Eventually a LED light bar will come into play.

·
Registered
730 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Would I use a relay for each thing I am connecting or would one handle multiple items? I am currently hooking up 2 lighted led whips, a helmet blower, and a horn to switches. Eventually a LED light bar will come into play.
You can use one relay for both lighted whips if you want them on the same switch. Other than that yes each thing has its own relay to control its power supply.

·
Registered
730 Posts
You can use one relay for both lighted whips if you want them on the same switch. Other than that yes each thing has its own relay to control its power supply.
Yes, missed that.

WayneW, same thing with a pair of rear lights or pair of front pillar lights.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts