Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an older RZR and been looking at making the move! My riding partner has a YXZ 1000r- 4 speed. I love the driving experience of bangin thru the gears and downshifting into corners and turns. Just not exactly sure about full time manual shift with a clutch? Especially in tight technical trails, Rocks and steep stuff. Any thoughts or feedback?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I thought that I wanted a 3 pedal. I ended up with a 2019 sport shift. I have not once regretted my choice. You get all the fun of shifting while letting the car do the clutch for you. I think that it is also better in the tight technical stuff. With that said, my buddy rides a 2016 3 pedal with gear reduction and doesn't have any problems. As for rocks and steep hills, both machines are going to use the same approach because of gearing. It just depends on if you want to manually do the clutch or let the YXZ do it. If you know how to drive a clutch, I think both clutches seem to wear about the same. My stock 2019 will do 4-5 mph with out slipping the clutch. My buddy's 2016 3 pedal with gear reduction is about the same. If you can find a SS to try, I would try that then make a decision. I think both keep the real driving experience.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've had 2 clutched cars, 16 and a 19. 19 is just better all around. Have never had any issues crawling in cougar buttes or racing around glamis or the desert.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thx all for your replies, definitely gives me some ideas. I wish i could find a rental place here in so cal to test drive the 4 speed or the SS.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I bought my 2020 SS SE even though I had never even sat in one before.
Coming from moto cross bikes and quads, and being a "little older" now, I absolutely love the paddle shift. I like keeping both hands on the wheel and just flipping the paddles.
It still gives me the rush of shifting, it just does it MUCH quicker.
I'm still going through the engine break-in process so I haven't gotten to fully appreciate the GYTR turbo power yet. But so far, its a blast to drive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts