Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In anticipation of the toy, this is for the more meticulous folks I guess.
I definitely agree with the high rpm break in as discussed on a previous thread. To properly follow this method would require picking it up at the dealership run as little as possible. Change the oil (making sure it is non synthetic, rotella 15w40 perhaps) then letting it get to FULL temperature (very important) then taking it out and do third or fourth gear pulls to redline. I am guessing 10 or so. Then changing the oil again, just because. What are your thoughts on this? Transmission oil thoughts?
The logic behind the break in procedure IMO is sound. Think of it as setting break pads, if you do it slow it doesn't seat as well or work as well.
Also on the list of things to do are grease everything and check the shock settings and air pressure. Also check to make sure the throttle is going to full open.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Every post will be a different opinion on this subject.

Yep NO synthetic oil during engine break in and change the oil soon it also helps when the motor has oil filter like the yxz but oil is cheaper than internal hard parts.

Hell Ya do your own safety checks and PDI :)

Enjoy Your New Wheels Soon :D

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
So how is everyone that has their cars now doing the break in? Going by Yamaha specs, or doing the other method? Results/thoughts?

Reactions: Yfzrdp

·
Registered
299 Posts
I break them in with a couple heat cycles, then get on it and get going. Change oil after a few hours and call it good. I have full synthetic in my stuff after 5/hours

·
Registered
314 Posts
Not sure about YXZ, but most of the modern engines today ,including Polaris came with synthetic oil already in them. I don't think the break in is really that needed today like in old days was....I drive everything what I buy new like I stole it and never had any issue. But for sure, if you will feel better to break the engine slowly, do it...IMO
milos

·
Registered
348 Posts
Not sure about YXZ, but most of the modern engines today ,including Polaris came with synthetic oil already in them. I don't think the break in is really that needed today like in old days was....I drive everything what I buy new like I stole it and never had any issue. But for sure, if you will feel better to break the engine slowly, do it...IMO
milos
This is correct some motors do have synthetic oil from the factory but the higher cost of synthetic oil during engine break-in is why most guy's will not use synthetic oil do to they will run it for a few minutes dump the oil then a few hours and dump the oil again then switch to synthetic oil like what BlanT2 wants to do.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I understand what you are saying, but cars came with synthetic oil in them and call for fist oil change after 5-7 K miles. They don't need break in then ? Honestly think this running engine a few minutes dump the oil and again after a few hour is the old days thinking and I will do it, if I am building old 350 Chevy not the modern engine , but really what ever you think is the best for break in , do it.
milos

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
The service manual calls for the oil change at 20 Hours.

It also has a WIDE range of oil viscosities that are suitable. There is alot to be discussed here!! I wonder what comes from the factory?

·
Registered
348 Posts
I understand what you are saying, but cars came with synthetic oil in them and call for fist oil change after 5-7 K miles. They don't need break in then ? Honestly think this running engine a few minutes dump the oil and again after a few hour is the old days thinking and I will do it, if I am building old 350 Chevy not the modern engine , but really what ever you think is the best for break in , do it.
milos
Why some people like to dump the oil after a few minutes of engine running is wearing in process happens immediately and can add metal to the oil quickly plus all the assembly lube and any machining or even sealer used on assembly process can be in the oil even on a modern motor it's cheap insurance.

The # 2 reason some people like using a none synthetic oil during engine break in is to get the best possible chance of a good ring seal do to today's modern engines have a finer honing pattern in the cylinder.

Yep them good old 350 Chevy's motors or any motor with a flat tappet or roller cam I agree with you 100% dump the oil after breaking in the cam. I like using the Royal Purple break in oil on these motors.

Have a good one milosusa :D

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, this is exactly the method I am referring to and plan to follow. It requires multiple oil changes. It may be a little thorough but there is nothing wrong with a little extra insurance. I plan to do the transmission as well.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Question= From factory they do run the engine for alittle rt? What kind of oil do they have in the engine when they ship it to the dealer to sell? They use to have break in oil when shipped to the dealer from factory. But now is it full syn?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Question= What kind of oil do they have in the engine when they ship it to the dealer to sell? They use to have break in oil when shipped to the dealer from factory. But now is it full syn?
When I worked at the dealership (and confirmed with the yxz) the Yamaha machines are filled with mineral oil. My old boss said it had something to do with no petroleum in the unit during shipping.

I followed the break in by the book for the first 5 hours, got fed up of half throttle in sand, and listened to everybody telling me to break it in like I ride it. And at 11.5 hours changed all the fluids to a conventional oil. I plan on switching the motor and Trans to full synthetic at 20 hours when doing all the recomended services (valve clearance :confused:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm not running full syn.....I will be running Brad Penn grade 1 "green oil" there can't be that many professional high power engine builders that are doing it wrong.

·
Registered
677 Posts
So when it gets shipped to the dealer what kind of oil do they put in it? A/C comes with full syn in it from factory.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Well I have no clue what the yxz has from the factory but I will be dump it no matter what before I ride.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts