Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got mine and there so much play in the gas pedal, you have to push it down a inch be for it revs. I was wondering if any one knows were to adjust the cable at. Thanks

·
Registered
329 Posts
If you look at the drivers side of the engine. It is at the front left of the valve cover. It is not the easiest to get to.

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
I would assume if you adjust it you will need to do some kind of TPS sync. Service manual is going to be a handy tool as the miles rack up.

·
Registered
329 Posts
There shouldn't be an adjustment needesd on the tps since the goal is only to remove slack. The throttle position should not change.

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
A full pedal stroke once you take up the slack will potentiality move the end point of the throttle position. Rule of thumb is anytime you adjust the throttle cable a TPS sync (or whatever Yamaha is calling it) should be done.

·
Registered
195 Posts
A full pedal stroke once you take up the slack will potentiality move the end point of the throttle position. Rule of thumb is anytime you adjust the throttle cable a TPS sync (or whatever Yamaha is calling it) should be done.
Sorry Marc but you DO NOT need to adjust the TPS when adjusting the the throttle cable.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Only if the throttle is not opening fully will the end point change. It still should not matter on tps adjustment. When adjusting the cable you should not effect the tps at all. What you are adjusting is the free play in the pedal.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Only if the throttle is not opening fully will the end point change. It still should not matter on tps adjustment. When adjusting the cable you should not effect the tps at all. What you are adjusting is the free play in the pedal.
I would have to agree with this

·
Registered
34 Posts
I took a quick look at the throttle cable and linkage last night. There is a small rubber buffer between the cable end and peddle lever. This could be giving you that play.

·
Registered
10 Posts
use caution if adjusting the throttle cable
one and a half to two turns max or you will cause the engine idle to be to high
don't mess with the throttle stop adjustment
the throttle works as designed
the rubber bellow between the pedal and the cable is to dampen the cable on rough ground, to keep an even cable pull with out the jerkies
the bellow also dampens a quick throttle closing
for my foot I have found a 1/2" wooden heel block with small groves cut in it for the heel, gives me better throttle control than the slick floor on rocky rough ground

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is easy to adjust. There is a linkage for adjustment near the front driver side shock. Simply loosen the lock nut, turn the adjuster with the engine running until it starts to rev, then adjust back down. Hit the pedal a couple times to make sure the rpm's come back down quick enough and put it to where you like it. If there is not enough slack the engine rpm's won't come back down fast enough. It took me about 2 minutes to do this. Very easy and makes a big difference in the feel. Makes the clutch easier to use when taking off.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi kyridgerunner, hey thank you so much!! Just like you said, a couple minutes to adjust and now I don't kill the throttle anymore lol. Btw how did you know?

·
Registered
606 Posts
When I picked mine up from the dealer the mechanic was checking mine out. He said a lot of units were shipped with the throttle not adjusted correctly and were not opening the butterfly's all the way when wide open. He was told by Yamaha to start checking the throttle position.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If the throttle cable is adjusted does that mean there's an ECU/Computer reset to allow the brains to know there was a change? Or is that not needed?

·
Registered
19 Posts
This is easy to adjust. There is a linkage for adjustment near the front driver side shock. Simply loosen the lock nut, turn the adjuster with the engine running until it starts to rev, then adjust back down. Hit the pedal a couple times to make sure the rpm's come back down quick enough and put it to where you like it. If there is not enough slack the engine rpm's won't come back down fast enough. It took me about 2 minutes to do this. Very easy and makes a big difference in the feel. Makes the clutch easier to use when taking off.

Worked like a charm. This the best way to do the adjustment. Be sure to adjust it with the engine at operating temp as the throttle will hang when it warms up if it's cold.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts