Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2019 YXZ 1000R SS
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New YXZ owner and new to UTVs, no time in the saddle yet but trying to get prepared. Researching tools and stuff to bring along for rides. No spare tire at this point, so I know tire repair kit and compressor are critical. I only located one post from 2016 which has some decent information. My 2019 has the Yamaha cargo box so I have space concerns. Any tips or suggestions on what to bring, or where to store it, are welcome.

Fuses- probably a dumb question, but where exactly do you buy spare fuses to bring along? Yamaha dealer or any hardware store?

·
Registered
131 Posts
All I carry is stuff to repair or replace a tire. Pair of dikes vice grips 8.10.12. 13.14.17 sockets with a small ratchet zip ties some good tape and it all fits with a small compressor in my glove box. I also have a small roll of safety wire I keep in there. My tire holder I modded to hold my jack and one of those small collapsible four ways. I also bought a spare gas cap and keep in there. A couple months ago I stooped to fill it up and as I pulled the nozzle out this guy walked up to me to talk about my yxz and I got side tracked and never stuck the cap on. Was heading to wind rock. They sell gas caps but there just Polaris ones. So I had to go to the hardware store and buy crap to make a “homemade” gas cap to keep from messing up the weekend. So when I ordered one I ordered two lol. And with that all tht said. In almost 5k miles I haven’t had to do any trail side repairs on mine. (Knock on wood).

·
Registered
89 Posts
I get fuses from auto parts store.
For tools I take along these tools in a tool bag -
1- Metric open end set
2-Large and small crescent wrench
3-Small and large Philips / slot screw drivers
4- hammer
5-small vice grips
6 - wire cutters
7 needle nose pliers
8 - breaker bar (1/2") and socket for lug nuts
9 -flat repair kit ( CO2 type) extra cartridges - rocky mountain

Duct tape , safety wire , recovery strap ,
gloves , rags in the round container behind driver.

Spare tire
Jack and mount from rocky mountain
Fire extinguisher and mount from rotcky mountain

small first aid kit

·
Registered
2016 YXZ1000R
64 Posts
Here is my list - I used to carry more, it depends on the trip.. Very similar to @dbatman

I keep all of this in a tool roll I bought off amazon for ~ $40. I like it because it has about 5 pouches on the front and I can easily place like tools together (yes - some ocd or I hate searching). It rolls up and has clips - about 14" long and 8" round max (I mean loaded), but I will normally have ~ 1/2 as much in it and it easily gets smaller and conforms easily to the space in my cargo bin just in front of the battery spot - you push it down and slide it under. It sticks out about 4" but doesn't move...
1614003879438.png

One thing I suggest - if you have bead locks, make sure that you are carrying a socket that is able to either tighten or replace. The walls on my socket on for my old bead locks was too thick - the bead lock ring started to loosen and that was not fun..
  1. Fuses - hardware store
  2. Metric open end / box end ratchet wrenches in 8/10/12/13/14/15/17
  3. 1/4" & 3/8" Sockets in sizes above plus some for 1/2" drive - lugs nuts
  4. Crescent wrenches - large and small
  5. Screwdrivers
    1. 6-in-1 combo screwdriver w/ extension
    2. Straight for shocks (and whatever)
    3. Large straight
    4. Mini screwdriver (4 in 1)
  6. Dead blow mallet
  7. Vice grips
  8. Wire cutters/crimpers - small
  9. Needle Nose pliers
  10. Breaker bar (~18" long) 1/2" drive -this also extends and I have used as a large pry bar
  11. Torx/hex bits and a driver
  12. Tire plugs/kit (lots of plugs) - never needed yet
  13. Mini air compressor
I have the other essentials - speedstrap tow strap in the cubby where the 2nd battery goes on the rear cargo box.

The bin behind the driver is also a big heavy duty zip lock with duct tape, zip ties (very large to very small), a couple ratchet straps (in case something breaks and it has to be tied up to get back),
first aid kit, rags.

I have one final bag that is about 18" that the mallet, breaker bar, compressor, headlamp and another small first aid kit that has (ponchos, space blankets, some energy bars, couple bottles of water). This fits along the back wall of the cargo bin or I run it along side, I will stuff jackets or things in and around this as it is really just a very durable canvas bag.
1614003981823.png

Cab Storage:
  • Doors - I used PRP - RZR XP4 rear door bags with some riv-nuts, handy for my shock tools, phone, wallet, etc..
  • Overhead bag - I have a different year, but found this was pretty useful. I store lots of snacks, camera, gloves, goggles, etc.. there and it's pretty nice.
  • The center console for mine is now occupied by an intercom so glovebox only - mainly fuses, zip-lock with TP and wipes, and my inReach GPS (for satellite, messages and SOS).

·
Registered
89 Posts
Here is my list - I used to carry more, it depends on the trip.. Very similar to @dbatman

I keep all of this in a tool roll I bought off amazon for ~ $40. I like it because it has about 5 pouches on the front and I can easily place like tools together (yes - some ocd or I hate searching). It rolls up and has clips - about 14" long and 8" round max (I mean loaded), but I will normally have ~ 1/2 as much in it and it easily gets smaller and conforms easily to the space in my cargo bin just in front of the battery spot - you push it down and slide it under. It sticks out about 4" but doesn't move...
View attachment 117754

One thing I suggest - if you have bead locks, make sure that you are carrying a socket that is able to either tighten or replace. The walls on my socket on for my old bead locks was too thick - the bead lock ring started to loosen and that was not fun..
  1. Fuses - hardware store
  2. Metric open end / box end ratchet wrenches in 8/10/12/13/14/15/17
  3. 1/4" & 3/8" Sockets in sizes above plus some for 1/2" drive - lugs nuts
  4. Crescent wrenches - large and small
  5. Screwdrivers
    1. 6-in-1 combo screwdriver w/ extension
    2. Straight for shocks (and whatever)
    3. Large straight
    4. Mini screwdriver (4 in 1)
  6. Dead blow mallet
  7. Vice grips
  8. Wire cutters/crimpers - small
  9. Needle Nose pliers
  10. Breaker bar (~18" long) 1/2" drive -this also extends and I have used as a large pry bar
  11. Torx/hex bits and a driver
  12. Tire plugs/kit (lots of plugs) - never needed yet
  13. Mini air compressor
I have the other essentials - speedstrap tow strap in the cubby where the 2nd battery goes on the rear cargo box.

The bin behind the driver is also a big heavy duty zip lock with duct tape, zip ties (very large to very small), a couple ratchet straps (in case something breaks and it has to be tied up to get back),
first aid kit, rags.

I have one final bag that is about 18" that the mallet, breaker bar, compressor, headlamp and another small first aid kit that has (ponchos, space blankets, some energy bars, couple bottles of water). This fits along the back wall of the cargo bin or I run it along side, I will stuff jackets or things in and around this as it is really just a very durable canvas bag.
View attachment 117755

Cab Storage:
  • Doors - I used PRP - RZR XP4 rear door bags with some riv-nuts, handy for my shock tools, phone, wallet, etc..
  • Overhead bag - I have a different year, but found this was pretty useful. I store lots of snacks, camera, gloves, goggles, etc.. there and it's pretty nice.
  • The center console for mine is now occupied by an intercom so glovebox only - mainly fuses, zip-lock with TP and wipes, and my inReach GPS (for satellite, messages and SOS).
good tip on the beadlocks. Going to check my tool set out today.

·
Registered
2016 YXZ1000R
64 Posts
good tip on the beadlocks. Going to check my tool set out today.
Yep - I ended up with them loosening up, then heads breaking.. I was able to keep the remaining snug enough to limp back at 4 psi.. My heads were recessed in the ring, my DWT's are different too.. Just one tool to make sure you have... Plus - you can always pack a wheel full of dirt and bolt it back up to get back in a pinch..

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yep - I ended up with them loosening up, then heads breaking.. I was able to keep the remaining snug enough to limp back at 4 psi.. My heads were recessed in the ring, my DWT's are different too.. Just one tool to make sure you have... Plus - you can always pack a wheel full of dirt and bolt it back up to get back in a pinch..
I am all loaded up for a trip to El Mirage tomorrow. When I get back I will go over the bolts. I read somewhere that bigger tires have thicker beads and the bolts may not have enough engagement into the rim . Fronts on mine should be fine , they are the stock Bighorns - but the rears are Behemoths and might be iffy on thread engagement. There is 1 broken bolt back there. More stuff to play with. Stay safe Jay.

·
Registered
2016 YXZ1000R
64 Posts
I'll post this up under shop tools:

Should you break a bead lock bolt or the head shear off - I have plenty of experience with them, plus YouTube has tons of vids..
  • Left hand drill bit and EZ-out for the correct size bolt. Too small and you can't get enough bite, too large and you risk hitting the wheel threads.
  • Anti-sieze lube for bolts
  • Consider bead lock spacers if you have thick beads. My BFG on 14" ST5's always broke bolts, Raceline I had wheel spacers and the bolts were better, plus the bead lock could be rotated one bolt as they have it drilled and tapped for 2x bolts, DWT Sectors are fine, my HiPer paddles have decent bolts.
  • Spare bolts for wheels
  • Spare bolts/nuts/washers/copper washers/etc.. for various.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'll post this up under shop tools:

Should you break a bead lock bolt or the head shear off - I have plenty of experience with them, plus YouTube has tons of vids..
  • Left hand drill bit and EZ-out for the correct size bolt. Too small and you can't get enough bite, too large and you risk hitting the wheel threads.
  • Anti-sieze lube for bolts
  • Consider bead lock spacers if you have thick beads. My BFG on 14" ST5's always broke bolts, Raceline I had wheel spacers and the bolts were better, plus the bead lock could be rotated one bolt as they have it drilled and tapped for 2x bolts, DWT Sectors are fine, my HiPer paddles have decent bolts.
  • Spare bolts for wheels
  • Spare bolts/nuts/washers/copper washers/etc.. for various.
Jay - color me enlightened. Many thanks for all of the information.

·
Registered
21 Posts
one person mentioned torx and hex sockets.. make sure they are Metric.. 4mm hex are used on a lot of the body panels that you have to take off to get to internal parts.
12-24" wire ties...not the cheap ones.. 35-50lbs breaking
20-30 ft tow strap
electrical / duct tape
small package of JB Weld
I also have the 2016, love the Tusk overhead bag with map. Tusk Overhead Storage & Map Bag.

·
Registered
2016 YXZ1000R
64 Posts
I have a 4mm Bonhus ball driver I have used for years on my Yami's and it fits my Rekluse as well. 1614627389966.png

I have JB weld and that is a great idea!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts