Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone used the Bel-Ray gear saver trans oil? 75W

Bel-Ray® Gear Saver Transmission Oil is a gear oil that has been developed for the unique demands of all motorcycle transmissions equipped with wet clutches. Bel-Ray Gear Saver Transmission Oil flows freely for better clutch cooling and provides positive clutch engagement for better starts and longer clutch life while protecting highly-loaded gears from wear, ensuring smooth shifts for more positive action.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
It appears Yamaha doesn't want that heavy of a tranny fluid. I would like to talk to a Yamaha rep why?? Always ran 75w in my motorcycles trannys

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
The "75w" is actually not that heavy, as a true gear oil would be. This stuff is rated differently. If compared to motor oil, it actually comes out closer to a 40w.
I use the Maxima Endurance equivalent, and it works great.

·
Registered
157 Posts
A lot of the motorcycle trans-specific oils have equivalent weights. Just make sure not to run anything thicker (equivalent rating) to what the manual recommends.

I personally just run 15W-50 Motul 7100 (well, not quite yet - I put in 15W-50 Yamalube at 10 hours, and since I had a half quart left from that change, I bought one more and put it in again at 20 hours - will actually go to Motul at 30 hours - I did put Motul 10W-40 into the motor at 20 hours).

I asked my dealer and they said Yamaha was just trying to make it easy for owners by having 1 type of oil for engine and tranny. 4 stroke dirtbikes run common oil in the motor and trans now anyway.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I have been running the Yamalube semi-synthetic for 3800 miles, just switched to the Mobile 1 Racing 4T full synthetic in both the engine and transmission(10-40). It is still early, but my tranny runs quieter at idle than before. Others have commented the same thing, in both the engine and transmission. My technician buddy runs it in all his SXS's (3) and won't use anything else.

·
Registered
153 Posts
So it is ok to run the belray gear saver.? I that's what my son and I run in our '86 250R's

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have been using it with no issues. My first trans oil change with stock oil the screen was nasty. changed to belray and second change the screen looked like new.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Has anyone looked at using a JASO MA2 oil? They have improved friction properties for wet clutches... they hold power better. MA was split into MA1 and MA2 some years back, both are good for wet clutches, but again, the MA2 will hold more.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I use it without realizing there was a difference between MA1 and MA2:

P_20161226_111221.jpg

No oiling issues to date -- With just over 2000 miles on Her .. .. :encouragement:

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have been using it with no issues. My first trans oil change with stock oil the screen was nasty. changed to belray and second change the screen looked like new.
Are you running gear saver 80 or 75? I was getting ready to run 80 but now I’m wandering if I should. Hope so I have about 5 cases of it in my motocross rig lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts