Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Order of removal.

1. Removed passenger side door. Skin first and the 4 bolts in the door hinges.

2. Take out battery/air console cover and center console top.

3. Removed seats and seat backs.

4. Take out all the screwpins and 10mm bolts from passenger footwell, seat bottom and back wall. Removed the driver console side panel but didn't do the footwell or seat bottom yet. Trying to see if I actually don't need to remove it.. doesn't look like it.

5. Went ahead and took out the passenger side rear fender. Few allen bolts and pins. Took the bottom outside lower panel off that is over the gas cap.
6. Took out the passenger side seat bottom plastic and back plastic.

7. Removed footwell.. had to really pull a bit to get it passed the gas tank. Lifted up rear first and fanagled it out.

8. Unplugged electrical and vent on gas tank, removed the 2- 10mm bolts on front and 2-12mm bolts on back of gas tank. Lifted gas tank out angling it up in the back and pulling up.

9. Removed bottom skid plate and back skid plate.

10. Drained transmission oil and pulled filter to check it. Had a little bit of metal shavings on it but not much else.

11. Removed all the rear diff bolts. I had to removed the upper rear driver side Arm bolt to get the top/rear diff bolt out. Then removed the rear bracket.

12. Pulled back on diff and can see where the rear drive shaft now comes out of the trans. The spring in there keeps the drive shaft from dropping. (After removing the 3 bolts from trans, moving the trans forward and back will allow enough room to pull spring out)

13. I didn't undo the flywheel next to the motor. Just removed the 4 half C clips on the inside of the Ujoints on the motor to trans shaft side. Used a big C-clamp U-Joint pusher to push the ujoint caps down on each side and removed. Took the Ujoint out after all the caps where off. Swung the driveshaft out of the way. You can separate the 2 halves of the shaft if you like. (No need at all to remove the u-joint)

14. Removed the speed sensor wire on the driver side then on passenger side removed the small ground wire, 2 trans vent hoses, Slave cylinder *rekluse clutch*, shift linkage, reverse cable, and a single sensor wire.

15. Used a ratchet strap up on the roll bars and under the transmission. Lifted lightly and removed the 3 transmission bolts.

16. Moved trans up a little in the rear and removed spring from rear drive shaft.

17. Move trans backwards and slid front driveshaft out of ujoint.

18. Everything disconnected, let the trans back down into the cradle and removed the ratchet strap. Had buddy get under car and held from the top. We wiggled the trans out with backside up more than front. Tada.. it's out!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yeah, it's been back in for a about 6 months now. Love it.. just keep driving and enjoying. So nice to just load up, go ride, come home, clean and put it away until the next ride It's just an awesome machine that does everything I want it to.

The install process was actually faster than the removal since I already knew all the steps and what needed to be done. Plus, I wanted to ride bad. LOL

·
Registered
294 Posts
I would have to do this solo, no issues with most of the unbolting as I've had most of the plastic off when doing the frame upgrades. My main concern is wrestling the trans out of the center console area as I will be on my own at this point. Any hints from people that have done the trans removal and install by themselves? I have a 2 post lift so I can get the Z at any working height to ease the process. Can I use a cherry picker to help support the weight while I jockey the trans around? I'd love to do the 19 gear set as for my riding (100% dunes) a slightly lower gear ratio would be perfect. In Oregon we have a lot of tight trails and that is where the lower gearing would shine.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I was able to get the trans out without any assistance, its been a couple years but if I remember correctly I removed the fuel tank and slid the trans that direction & lifted it out of the car.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I would have to do this solo, no issues with most of the unbolting as I've had most of the plastic off when doing the frame upgrades. My main concern is wrestling the trans out of the center console area as I will be on my own at this point. Any hints from people that have done the trans removal and install by themselves? I have a 2 post lift so I can get the Z at any working height to ease the process. Can I use a cherry picker to help support the weight while I jockey the trans around? I'd love to do the 19 gear set as for my riding (100% dunes) a slightly lower gear ratio would be perfect. In Oregon we have a lot of tight trails and that is where the lower gearing would shine.
No lifts/straps required...I did mine alone...disconnect everything from the trans, tear everything out of the passenger side including fuel tank and all plastic panels. Get up in that thing like it's your job and start finagling it outta there. I think the only tool I used to assist was a super long heavy flat screwdriver I used as a prying device. You'll cuss a few times until u find that correct angle to pull it out.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
257 Posts
I did this on my own a few weeks ago - no hoist or lift and I'm now in my 60s!!

Photograph everything before you pull it apart. Small detail, but drain the oil first- it'll make it all a couple of pounds lighter.

I found the hardest part was unbolting and pulling back the rear diff - use some ratchet straps to compress the lhr suspension to get the bolts out.

When reassembling, ensure that the yokes on the UJs of the front and engine drive shafts are perfectly aligned. Before connecting the engine shaft, refill the gearbox with oil and rotate the input flange in the correct direction to prime the oil pump and galleries.

If it's an SS, make sure the box is in neutral before attaching the shifter servo. When attaching the servo, ensure that the quadrant is properly aligned by ensuring that an appropriately sized drill bit shaft will pass through and align with the hole in the gearbox casing.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Pulled mine today. Took 2:20. Didn't remove gas tank. Unbolted center console and tilted to the right. Removed transmission from the left side.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Before connecting the engine shaft, refill the gearbox with oil "and rotate the input flange in the correct direction" to prime the oil pump and galleries.
Correct direction?

I'm 66 so encouraging you managed ok with it. New gears are supposed to be here March 11 so I have some waiting time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
8 Participants
Rocken Robin
Yamaha YXZ Forums
YXZ Talk Forum is the largest online community for Yamaha YXZ 1000 fans. Discuss turbocharging, suspension, drive train, and more!
Full Forum Listing