Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
I run coos bay with 91 octane with the same set up as you and it is insanely more responsive at sea level than at 5K. When I got to St. Anthony's (5K)my machine is so much less powerful than at sea level

You should be fine. If you run race gas I would like your feed back. We will also be at UTV Takeover at the Horsefall camp site

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I run coos bay with 91 octane with the same set up as you and it is insanely more responsive at sea level than at 5K. When I got to St. Anthony's (5K)my machine is so much less powerful than at sea level

You should be fine. If you run race gas I would like your feed back. We will also be at UTV Takeover at the Horsefall camp site
Thank you for the response. I’m going to try race gas just to see how it performs. But mainly be running 91 octane. I’m staying at the KOA camp ground

·
Registered
46 Posts
They will always run better at Sea Level than at Elevation, any combustion engine for that matter because there is more Air Pressure at Sea Level. Back in the day when you had to Jet Carbs, I would leave my Elevation Jetting in and ride at Sea Level and enjoy the faster throttle response and more power. Of Course mileage dropped, large jets dumping more fuel but hey it was well worth it!

·
Registered
2019 YXZ SS SE
772 Posts
Detonation for sure.

·
Registered
2019 YXZ1000R SS SE White
43 Posts
Sorry you popped a piston, wonder if it was octane or tune related? Even if octane is there not any knock sensors for timing retard sake? Feel like I’ve read of this happening a few times with tuned turbo 19+ cars, which is becoming a big deterrent to utilizing anything other than the GYTR tune on the turbo kit, or maybe even turbo’ing at all without replacing the pistons as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts