Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

· Registered
1,252 Posts
I would say the best is going with the long travel kit. I have stock suspension on ‘16 model and after eibach dual rate springs that helped was not nearly enough. I ended up sending my shocks to Weller Racing and had them revalve shocks with heavy KOH springs and that made the ride better than ever and no more washboard or choppy conditions to feel.

· Registered
2019 White SS SE/GYTRv1 Turbo
553 Posts
I would say the best is going with the long travel kit. I have stock suspension on ‘16 model and after eibach dual rate springs that helped was not nearly enough. I ended up sending my shocks to Weller Racing and had them revalve shocks with heavy KOH springs and that made the ride better than ever and no more washboard or choppy conditions to feel.
Wonder if the Weller KOH heavy spings are the same as their HD springs? If so that is what I have too, ride is SO much better and is ready to take on about any terrain.

· Registered
3 Posts
What did Weller charge for the revalve if you don't mind me asking

· Registered
5 Posts
If you want to get ride of the bucking and improve the ride without spending a fortune hang as much weight off the rear end as you can. Install the spare tire rack with a spare then have your shocks re valved with heavy springs. As stated before the geometry is not good for big whoops which is why they buck so bad. The only way to cure it is to lengthen the rear trailing arms, basically move the center line of the rear tire farther back from the seat. Honda talons suffer the same issue. We can trick that by moving the weight back which moves the center of gravity back. We ride these bad boys for the thrills of grabbing gears and making tears….

· Registered
553 Posts
I have X2 shocks on my '19 SE and initially cranking all the dampeners to firmer settings helped a ton with the rear bucking, but I think most of the help was from adjusting the rear rebound adjustment full high. The rears are the last wheels to leave the ground so if the rear suspension rebounds to quickly as leaving a jump face it bucks you bad. Keeping that rebounding process a very slow one is ideal on the one off jump, but not so great on a hot whoop section where you need the suspension to quickly rebound for the next whoop. However it is difficult to really get anything done on rugged terrain with the OE springs.

On that note with OE springs they already have significant preload (and need more to get more ground clearance), and that rear preload also makes the suspension rebound quick. The best bet and what is needed most is the heavy spring to get you the desired ground clearance (especially in the rear with little preload), and that with some dialing in on the rebound helps this machine fly much flatter.

· Registered
2021 YXZ1000r SS SE Black and Yellow
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
If you want to get ride of the bucking and improve the ride without spending a fortune hang as much weight off the rear end as you can. Install the spare tire rack with a spare then have your shocks re valved with heavy springs. As stated before the geometry is not good for big whoops which is why they buck so bad. The only way to cure it is to lengthen the rear trailing arms, basically move the center line of the rear tire farther back from the seat. Honda talons suffer the same issue. We can trick that by moving the weight back which moves the center of gravity back. We ride these bad boys for the thrills of grabbing gears and making tears….
I have installed a rear cargo box and filled it with a bunch of recovery and safety gear. Should weigh it down a bit. I am going to do a spare tire carrier too, I just need to find a stock wheel/tire or order a new complete set. I was going to buy a wheel from the local Yamaha dealer and they wanted something like $650 for just one wheel

· Registered
5 Posts
That’s crazy expensive for one tire. RM atv has some great prices on tires I know some wheels look very similar for a fraction of the price. Once you get the set up you want it’s really important to get the weight of the vehicle with you in it to calculate the spring rate. Be mindful most budget spring kits don’t sell a true duel rate spring. It has to have a cross over ring to be a true duel rate. I know they like to s**t on yxz but shock therapy sells a nice set up plus a lifetime warranty on the springs. Weller has good stuff and so does Z bros. But I’ll be having mine done by shock therapy when it’s time.

· Registered
553 Posts
The OE beadlock wheels are about $700 new each complete through Yamaha, and the big horns are now closing in on $300 each. Buy new and get tire mounted somewhere you’re easily looking at a grand. The only way to go is find secondhand or go entire aftermarket.

· Registered
2021 YXZ1000r SS SE Black and Yellow
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
The OE beadlock wheels are about $700 new each complete through Yamaha, and the big horns are now closing in on $300 each. Buy new and get tire mounted somewhere you’re easily looking at a grand. The only way to go is find secondhand or go entire aftermarket.
It's ridiculous I was going to get one as a spare but for that money I'm just going to get a new set of 5 aftermarket. I didn't want to yet but it seems like the best option

· Registered
14 Posts
This set up will make it feel better then a can am
Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

· Registered
1,252 Posts
What did Weller charge for the revalve if you don't mind me asking
Still saying for the money my yxz rides awesome compared to stock single rate, the eiback dual rate springs and now Weller KOH set up with heavy springs set for all the extra weight i carry. Now it floats thru whoops, and takes washboard roads with turns so nice and smooth. Wish i would have done this to start.

· Registered
1,252 Posts
It's ridiculous I was going to get one as a spare but for that money I'm just going to get a new set of 5 aftermarket. I didn't want to yet but it seems like the best option
I went with 5 STI hd beadlocks and they have been great combined with tensor regulators. About 4 years now since purchased wheels for under $500. And tensor regulators were only $155 at the time. Rides so nice with suspension and wheel set up like sport car offroad at 60-80 mph.
Tire Cloud Wheel Sky Vehicle

· Registered
2021 SS SE
52 Posts
You should definitely at least understand where your shock settings are set. I have seen them set all over the place from the factory on early units. If you are getting beat up, then it sounds like you should set everything to full loose, or at least a known soft setting, and start tightening . It is just a simple wrench/screwdriver adjustment and it may make you wish you had checked it sooner..... It makes a huge difference.
Indeed, I have mine all the way soft and it did make a big difference. Much more body roll and slower rebound. it seems ok in the front but I bottomed out in the rear. Going to stiffen it up a bit but it's getting better. Shock tuning is a must with these.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts