Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, they said flimsy skid plates?
They advertise the "full coverage" skid plates and while the plates do cover more area than other oem offerings, the material does not appear to be any stronger. Not a big deal for Duners, but out on the trail these skids will get torn up in a hurry.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Thanks for posting... Factory UTV

I hope your ankle is filling better today

·
Registered
505 Posts
So, I happened to stop by FUTV this morning and I got a chance to take it for a little ride down the street as they are in full swing making skids for it. It was fun & shifting is a kick, I have been waiting so long for a SXS to come out with a manual trans. It will take a little time behind the wheel to get the shifting perfect as it was a little clunky when shifting. I just needed a little seat time in it to figure out the best shift points, up & down the street wasn't enough. Rock crawling will not be good as it is too tall geared, you will need to do a lot of clutch slipping to crawl the big rocks I'm used to, the rekluse will be a necessity if thats what you want to do with this machine. While they had it on a hoist I noticed so items that concern me. As mentioned the full skid plate is nothing more than full coverage. I was thinking it would be like 1/4" UHMW or something durable, but its no thicker or better than all the other manufacturers oem plastic skids. The axle is a smaller diameter than my finger as seen in the pic. My concern is everyone puts heavier & bigger tires on their machine, I just don't see how they will hold up. The front diff is also tiny, just my opinion but I'd say these will be the weakest links of the machine. The tranny is beefy, like the size of a t-case in a Jeep - shouldn't be a problem there. The other thing I noticed was how the paint on the bottom & side of the a-arms was already a dull whitish yellow or had already been worn off from just a one day dune trip. These will need to be powder coated or need FUTV a-arm skids to keep them looking good. If you ride at Pismo they are going to turn into a rust bucket real quick. Just my thoughts & opinions. I still want one, love the shifting & the triple but I'm still going to wait until after Halloween to make a decision.
yxz on hoist.jpg yxz axle pic.jpg yxz front diff.jpg yxz trans pic.jpg yxz worn paint.jpg yxz dull paint1.jpg

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, I happened to stop by FUTV this morning and I got a chance to take it for a little ride down the street as they are in full swing making skids for it. It was fun & shifting is a kick, I have been waiting so long for a SXS to come out with a manual trans. It will take a little time behind the wheel to get the shifting perfect as it was a little clunky when shifting. I just needed a little seat time in it to figure out the best shift points, up & down the street wasn't enough. Rock crawling will not be good as it is too tall geared, you will need to do a lot of clutch slipping to crawl the big rocks I'm used to, the rekluse will be a necessity if thats what you want to do with this machine. While they had it on a hoist I noticed so items that concern me. As mentioned the full skid plate is nothing more than full coverage. I was thinking it would be like 1/4" UHMW or something durable, but its no thicker or better than all the other manufacturers oem plastic skids. The axle is a smaller diameter than my finger as seen in the pic. My concern is everyone puts heavier & bigger tires on their machine, I just don't see how they will hold up. The front diff is also tiny, just my opinion but I'd say these will be the weakest links of the machine. The tranny is beefy, like the size of a t-case in a Jeep - shouldn't be a problem there. The other thing I noticed was how the paint on the bottom & side of the a-arms was already a dull whitish yellow or had already been worn off from just a one day dune trip. These will need to be powder coated or need FUTV a-arm skids to keep them looking good. If you ride at Pismo they are going to turn into a rust bucket real quick. Just my thoughts & opinions. I still want one, love the shifting & the triple but I'm still going to wait until after Halloween to make a decision.
View attachment 1454 View attachment 1455 View attachment 1456 View attachment 1457 View attachment 1458 View attachment 1459
Thanks for the pics, I'm stuck here at home with ice on my ankle :-( Agree on the skid, it's junk or will be a couple trips into any kind of rocky trail. In my mind I was thinking the arms would be powdercoated. Still kind of surprised the paint is already that worn on them. Not good, but we'll have guards on them soon enough.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Well then, I definitely will need some durable skids- no need for crawling on rocks with that "high" first gear. Lol.. I suppose when I encounter some rough places on the trail, I will be bouncing that sombitch off the rocks instead of "crawling".

Thanks for the review Factory UTV!! Now get some 1/2" UHMW skids made. That will be my first mod- wont settle for anything less.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts