Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rules of this series are pretty simple.

you Run for 4 hours straight... starting 2 hours before sunset. We start 2 cars at a time every 30 seconds. You car has a transponder so you are racing the clock just as much as anyone else. Soooo, when you catch someone, you beep the horn and they pull over to let you by. This happens almost always too.

This video is not of me piloting my YXZ, but of my 18 year old son piloting his 2013 xp900. He doesn't look like he is doing anything special, just nice and smooth...but this lap was 5th fastest lap of any car that day, and he went on to finish 2nd overall out of 31 cars.

A few tid bits or fun facts. The yellow and black car is he chasing in the beginning is Lee Pope. Not sure who he is and Im pretty sure this was his first appearance at our series, but he was fast! He was turning some high 16's and running top 3 until he had a few turn overs. I say a few because Im pretty sure I saw him on his side in two different places.

He catches me at the 7:45 mark. I am able to keep him in sight which not only leads to my fastest lap time, but pulls me up to the other YXZ who I have been chasing for 3 laps. At 9:25 we pull on to the short course, and if you watch closely, you can see how he is sliding the car around the corners. This is where I noticed his car was handing a lot differently than mine. And, at 10:45 he jumps a 50 foot table top that I choose to roll instead. Before he goes back into the woods there is a set of whoops tho and I am able to gain back some of my time there... And after he passes the 2nd YXZ, he catches the leader of his class who is also in another 13' model xp900. Him and this other xp900 go on to swap the lead back and forth for 4 complete hours, with my son winning by a mear 14 seconds after a 4 hour race ! They end up 2nd and 3rd overall respectively.

Enjoy... If you can watch 17+ minutes. LOL

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nevermind... I just looked at the GNCC schedule....my bad.
This footage was not from the GNCC tho. This was the Utvrr series. Very, very different format to each other.

The utvrr is currently being held in Tuscumbia, Alabama. (Very northern Alabama that is).

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That looks so fun but I don't think I could do it for 4 straight hours (I have ADD ha, ha).

You guys are studs!
They do offer to let people partner up too. There are several of the cars out there being driven the first 2 hours by one guy and then the last two hours by a different guy.

And since most machines will go 2 hours at race speed on their stock tanks, this system works out pretty good.

My boys do like, and tend to race their entire 4 hours by themselves tho.

Youth is a wonderful thing! LoL

·
Registered
681 Posts
They do offer to let people partner up too. There are several of the cars out there being driven the first 2 hours by one guy and then the last two hours by a different guy.

And since most machines will go 2 hours at race speed on their stock tanks, this system works out pretty good.

My boys do like, and tend to race their entire 4 hours by themselves tho.

Youth is a wonderful thing! LoL
For real 20 years ago would have been different. Ha, ha

2 and 2 sounds doable tho. Either way I gotta look into some racing in Ohio next year.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
For real 20 years ago would have been different. Ha, ha

2 and 2 sounds doable tho. Either way I gotta look into some racing in Ohio next year.
Ohhh yeah, racing these things are some of the most fun you can have! Plus, unlike a dirt bike or a quad, when you make a mistake it doesn't result in bodily injury. LoL

The GNCC comes to Ohio twice next season. And I am betting you are not too far from northern Alabama. I am traveling 430 miles each way. And there are people coming from pretty much everywhere. Al, Tn, Ms, LA, NC, SC, Ga, Fla, Mn, Pa, Mo, and I'm pretty sure VA too.

·
Registered
762 Posts
l THINK THEY NEED TO TAKE A D-9 DOZER WITH A 16' BLADE ALL THE WAY THROUGH THE TRACK AND WIDEN IT. JUST LIKE WINDROCK TO NARROW. STONEYLONES WAS A LOT WIDER THEN BOTH PLACES. NOT A LOT OF PLACES FOR THE SLOWER ONE TO LET YOU BY. A RACE TRACK NEED TO BE WIDE ENOUGH TO PASS. LOSS A LOT OF TIME WAITING FOR THE SLOWER RACER TO FIND A WIDE POINT ON A TIMED RACE.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
l THINK THEY NEED TO TAKE A D-9 DOZER WITH A 16' BLADE ALL THE WAY THROUGH THE TRACK AND WIDEN IT. JUST LIKE WINDROCK TO NARROW. STONEYLONES WAS A LOT WIDER THEN BOTH PLACES. NOT A LOT OF PLACES FOR THE SLOWER ONE TO LET YOU BY. A RACE TRACK NEED TO BE WIDE ENOUGH TO PASS. LOSS A LOT OF TIME WAITING FOR THE SLOWER RACER TO FIND A WIDE POINT ON A TIMED RACE.
We don't seem to have as big of an issue here with people not pulling over. Not exactly sure why, but it seems to be a little more laid back all the way around. I actually like this track just as good as Windrock myself. I never liked Stoney because it was too fast. LoL

I wish you would pull some of your strings and get us back into Windrock for a couple times a season.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Ohhh yeah, racing these things are some of the most fun you can have! Plus, unlike a dirt bike or a quad, when you make a mistake it doesn't result in bodily injury. LoL

The GNCC comes to Ohio twice next season. And I am betting you are not too far from northern Alabama. I am traveling 430 miles each way. And there are people coming from pretty much everywhere. Al, Tn, Ms, LA, NC, SC, Ga, Fla, Mn, Pa, Mo, and I'm pretty sure VA too.
I see Powerline Park and Sunday Creek on the GNCC schedule…they're both within' 2 hours of me thanks for the tip.

And I've watched quite a few "UTV" races on youtube and none of the tracks seem conducive to passing…I actually look for that when I watch. Except for the night race and it has to be the best UTV race video I've seen yet. I show it to people that don't even race or even ride and they dig it.

·
Registered
537 Posts
With rally raid if your caught from behnd then your beat on time anyway, there's really no reason not to let faster cars get around you

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Rally Raid (UTV Rally Raid Home - UTV Rally Raid)

Is definitely my favorite. Plenty of seat time. Track has a little bit of everything. Two hours in the daylight and two hours in the dark also adds something neat. A little more to enter, but it does pay back cash to the first couple spots. We have left with almost a grand before (won two classes).

What I do like about the GNCC races is their exposure and entry pull. They not only pull 70+ buggies almost every time, they also have a short segment on Racer TV. The GNCC races are very cheap to enter, but they do require some expensive race attire. Their races are only 1 hour long too, so it is a serious Sprint, and it can all go wrong in two or three turns. LoL

Heartland challenge may be a great one for you to check out too. It only runs once a year with a pretty hefty payout. They use a 4 hour format starting two hours before sunset.

The night video you are referencing is from the Oklahoma Gold Rush. Also put on one time a year. They do one hour long race in the morning and one hour long race at night.

There are also some decent series other places too.
Louisiana (laccs I think )
Texas. (Torn I think)
Somewhere up north. Indiana I believe. It also resembles the GNCC format and pulls some of the CanAm pilots

And of course, BITD and SCORE out west. That's a whole nother level of expense and builds. LoL

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There used to be some Awesome video footage of a Maverick chasing an xp1k at the heartland challenge. Could probably search "Maverick heartland challenge" on you tube and find it.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I love how you smelled blood at the 8 min mark and just wicked that bitch open. Honk honk. That's awesome.

I would have made you work for that pass until your horn done gone & run outta air.

Hats off to you and you're kin. Running through the trees in endurance racing is no joke. Solid.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts