Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The UTVRR.com series is a pretty cool testing ground for any machine.

The course is 9 miles consisting of woods, a few open straits and a short course worked in there too!.

Format is 4 hours starting two hours before sunset... Fuel stop and lighting are very important.

During this race I passed and was passed by pretty much every machine out there right now. 32 drivers this weekend with (2) yamahas, (1) canam, and the rest were Polaris. (4) Turbo XP cars were out this time too. One won, one over heated half way thru, one had front diff problems, and one clipped a tree, but still managed a respectable 11th. CanAm Turbo and driver were very Fast in the beginning, but had a rear wheel challenge on lap 3. Both Yamahas finished, but a fuel stop challenge kept us out of the top 5, and the other driver was breaking his machine in.

As we all know with these lovely UTVs, finishing the race is a big part of placing well. I have raced pretty much all of them except a CanAm. 570, 800, 800S, 900xp, 1000xp, and even a wildcat for 3 raounds. I am glad to report I felt very confident in this Yamaha's ability to finish. And, a POST race inspection shows nothing is needed before the next round except fluid changes and a good bath. This race was 4 hours and we ran 126 miles at speed with narry an issue. (I will post a few videos of me battling with the guys who went on to finish 2nd and 3rd overall too.)

And, A little comparison of our own xp900 which my 18 year old son took all the way to 2nd overall. (on stock WE suspension too!) The POST race inspection shows the xp900 car needs a left front upper ball joint. (all where new prior to this race) A left upper A-Arm bolt. (this one lasted 2 races) Another Sway bar. (this was one a Nascar race shop made for us after the oem broke two races back. I am ordering up a cognito next)

The is my sons 2nd class win in the xp900 car. He has broken out of the lead 2 other times this year... Axle one time and ball joint the other. I check the machine after and before every race. We usually change two ball joints and one heim somewhere on the radius rods after each race, so I consider these minor repairs a Win for this car.

We also raced a 14' xp1000 (3) times before changing out the front ball joints. But, prior to racing the xp car, we changed the shocks, added a clutch cooling kit, added a harden spider nut in the secondary clutch, changed out the sway bar links and added braces to the sway bar. We also aded 14" bead lock wheels and doors to the xp car too. This xp car was very competitive after the shocks were re-worked tho. We raced it (4) times with (2) 3rds and (1) overall win. These results were before the xpT car was out there too.

I added nothing to the YXZ except the mandatory safety equipment and changed the tires to 26" GBCs. I also added the Barnett pressure plate and spring kit and installed my PRP racing seat.

I was asked several times over this weekend to give my honest opinion of both machines. The best answer I came up with was simple. "the xp1000 is a great do it all machine, but it will take some money to make it a race machine. The YXZ is a race machine, and it will take some money to make it a do it all machine.

I would also like to note the changes I will make before next outing:

Seat bracket to bring the rear of the seat up some... I am 5'11 and I looked like a 12 year old behind the wheel! LoL
Better Radiator Protection... just because I would feel a little better having more coverage
stronger front and rear skid plate... just to make jacking the machine up easier.

Side note... I didn't jump any of the jumps, so the suspension worked flawlessly for me. I could feel it getting softer as the race went on too. Not sure if this was the springs breaking in some, or just the fluid getting hot.

All in all, this is a Perfect car for what I plan on doing with it. I will add a rekluse tho simply for pulling around the pits, going thru tech, or for any trail/pleasure riding I will do this off season.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And...

We also ran a Rugged Radio set up and the front head lights on low the whole time. Hooked up a Led Whip and 36" light bar when it got dusk too. Never had any battery issues. Clutch worked perfectly the whole race too. And it was a lot of gear changes. I ran 3rd 70% of the race, clicked into 4th a couple times each lap, 5th one time in a rough strait away, and 2nd for some of the slower, rutted out turns. I could have ran 3rd the entire track, but 2nd just pulled so much better in a few spots.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is anyone driving it in that second pic or did it roll away down a hill?

:p
I know! I had a flat bracket made to put my PRP seat in there and basically disappeared behind the door! Hell, I could easily go 20 seconds a lap faster by just seeing over the steering wheel !

·
Registered
762 Posts
CHOP THE ROOF AND CAGE DOWN A FOOT AND GAlN 20 SECOND A LAP TOO. LOL

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
CHOP THE ROOF AND CAGE DOWN A FOOT AND GAlN 20 SECOND A LAP TOO. LOL
All I can say is You need to bring your WildCat back out there! None have been there this year.

They said our 2016 schedule will be released in Dec too, so you can plan your vacations around them ! LoL

·
Registered
17 Posts
Will be following your progress. Good luck with the build. Can't wait to see how she holds up. I think there will be a lot less maintenance with this rig.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Great review True! I don't have mine yet and I 'm still deciding whether I want to buy a blue/white one in Dec. or wait until the spring of next year when it warms and the prices possibly drop some. The one thing I knew that would prove to be true with this machine is that it is more race ready than anything else on the market and that is well worth it to race teams who are looking to save some money both early on and in the future as the parts are of higher quality vs the competition.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I was asked several times over this weekend to give my honest opinion of both machines. The best answer I came up with was simple. "the xp1000 is a great do it all machine, but it will take some money to make it a race machine. The YXZ is a race machine, and it will take some money to make it a do it all machine.
Great quote, thanks for the writeup! Do you plan to add a aftermarket pipe and tuner?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quick question, did you add a second battery for the light bar or just run the stock battery only?
I did not add anything. I figure since our machine is constantly moving, the charging system would keep up.

We run the OEM head lights on low, and the car to car set up the entire 4 hours. We had to stop for fuel on the end of the 6th lap, so we plugged in the whip and light bar for the remaining two hours.
We don't have our switch bracket installed yet so both these items were just strait wired up with little plugs.

Car run peferctly for 7 more laps too

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Great quote, thanks for the writeup! Do you plan to add a aftermarket pipe and tuner?
Thats a very good question. My boys are begging me to add one, but I am not sure I can handle hearing that screaming in my ear for an entire race! I am sure a pipe would have helped me some, because I started running 3rd in a lot of places simply because it was easier to control in the back and forth corners. I was also using up a TON of fuel running the car at higher RPMs. We can make it to the two mark on both the xp1000 and xp900's stock fuel tank. I was pushing my luck getting there with this machine tho.
My other YXZ competitor was behind me when I pitted for fuel and he easily had enough to make it another lap where I had No bars showing on the fuel gauge when I pulled in. I think our drastic difference was because I was really winding the motor up on my first two laps...where he was just shifting around 6500 to 7000. I recommended this style to my son who took over after 6 laps and he completed 7 laps with two bars left on the gauge.

Plus, all 6 of my lap times were with in 10 seconds of each other, which means I was going just as fast running 3rd thru some of the short straits in our wooded sections.
I know I can easily run 30-40 seconds faster per lap with just a little more seat time. (and getting my seat raised up too!) And those times will put me on the podium... barring there are no accidents, parts breakage, flat tires, or messed up pit stops.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Will be following your progress. Good luck with the build. Can't wait to see how she holds up. I think there will be a lot less maintenance with this rig.
This was the biggest reason I went with the YXZ. I know a well suspended xpT car will be very competitive (in our series). We have run up front several times over the past 3 seasons, so we know what consistent lap times it will take to win.

Even tho I felt like the xpT was a huge step in the right direction for Popo, I also know there was a lot of little things we had to prepare for (or overcome) on our xp1k car.
I made a list on another topic of what I was planning on adding to the Popo to make it a podium car... it was around 3000 bucks. (doors, roof, sway bar fix, and shock revalve) I am now very positive we can take this YXZ to a podium finish in stock form. Of course I would be adding the needed safety equipment to either car i bought.

For me and my intended purpose, the yxz is simply a 5000 dollar less race car. Only time will tell if it is also cheaper to upkeep...but as of right now I feel very confident it will be.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wait a minute, i thought this race was going to be your breakin period staying under 7500 rpm lol!
I know!

I did set the shift light at 7500 and was very aware of it when it came on. After the first two laps I only saw the shift light a few times...
I did see it a bunch in the first lap tho, it was just too hard to not let it rev!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts