·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Where`s the hype???:sleeping:;):D
Congrats to the #1848 Weller Team holding down the YXZ fort!!:applause::loyal:
Solid 6th outa 34 in the UTV P class!!:applause::victorious:
Any other Yammies out there??

And a big shout out to my bud #2946 Hans and crew from HMF racing witha 2nd in the UTV unlimited class!!!:applause::applause::encouragement::D:congratulatory:

·
Registered
67 Posts
I think we had a total of 8 yxz's in the race.
By no means am I full time racer but since I got my yxz back in 2016 i have had on my bucket list to do Vegas to Reno and The Baja 500.
I started building this car the end of last year to take on Vegas 2 Reno. With help of a few friends we showed in Vegas last week,. My whole goal was to finish the race. We started 19th and I knew I had faster racers like the Weller's behind me at the start and just wanted to make sure I didn't hold them up. We got passed a lot in the first 20 miles and then we got a flat, we changed it and where back on are way. We started to see cars and trucks already broken down. then around mile 50 we where moving through the dust when we got a signal on the tracking device that another vehicle wanted to pass us my co driver press the button to let then know we know they wanted to pass and I moved over to the right as they where passing on the drivers when there right front tire slammed into my driver door panel.
The engine light came on and later would find out it did something to are tracking device so none of my friends and family could follow me online. We took a few miles to relax after that we where moving along and seeing other guys broken down. Then around mile 167 I can up up over a hill into a heavy silt turn with a car stuck in front of us and got stuck to, for the next 2 to 3 hours we dug out the car and then used are spare tire under the back right tire to get us free, another yxz also broke down just in front of us with a broken front knuckle, I later found out they tried to make it to pit 4 but ran out of time as the pits closed at certain times and you couldn't continue if you where not past that pit before it closed. We got another flat and are jack didn't want to work correctly and we had to hand crank it instead of using the impact gun another setback. we got through that and made it to pit 6 where i handed the car over to my co driver, he did a great job and at pit 10 I got back in and navigated for him till pit 14. At pit 14 we switch spots so I could bring the car to the finish line, then the fun began we hit 2 5 mile section on the worst rocks you want to drive on, when I saw the Red bull TT on the side I knew just take it slow and get the car to the finish line. I though we where out of all the rocks when I made a sharp left turn and all I saw was a steep hill with rocks and said to my co driver come on man whats next, we made it up with no problem and brought the yxz across the finish line. It took us 19 hours to finish but crossing that line and getting the finisher pin was all worth it. We finished 18th in class 37 total and 165 overall out of 366 entries. I can now say I finished the longest offroad race in the USA.
sorry with spelling and grammer a little tired.
Land vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Off-road racing
Motor vehicle Off-road racing Vehicle Off-roading Motorsport
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Off-roading All-terrain vehicle Off-road racing
Vehicle Car

·
Registered
195 Posts
Congratulations on the finish! What long travel you running?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Our race started good then got bad then got really bad. We were 2nd on corrected time at the 50 mile marker then at 60 miles we started getting vapor lock. We fought vapor lock issues constantly till we saw Russ stuck in the silt and that’s when the front knuckle broke. We rigged it up and went 20 miles with no brakes and 3 wheels with my navigator hanging off the back of the car trying to transfer weight when we got stuck in silt. We got the car out and continued another 10 miles to pit 4 when we timed out and the pit captain wouldn’t let us continue.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
We had a great run, starting from almost the back of the field in 33rd, and the YXZ ran flawless all day - Jason drove the first half, I got in and drove the 2nd half. We were about 15 miles from the finish and just before the "rock garden", which is the gnarliest, rockiest section on the whole course, and I hit something that cut a huge gash in my sidewall. No problemo, we can do a tire change super quick.....except went to use the jack and it was broken - wouldn't lift anything. I certainly wasn't expecting that.....so yeah, that set us back a bit as we tried a couple of alternative methods to getting the tire off the ground. Nothing was working, so we just went with a very flat tire and I had to be extra careful not to break that wheel in the rocks are we wouldn't get out of there at all. Just past the rock garden we were able to borrow a jack and got the tire changed, and raced down the mountain to the finish. Still salvaged 6th, but what a heart breaker.....the desert is cruel lol! We will be back - our BITD YXZ is way too much fun to drive to not do this desert stuff again!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice!! Good showing!Excellent jobs ,even if you didn`t finish!! Better than most of us!!:smile-new: Racer for a day is better than spectator for life!! LOL!!!:p:D:cool:
Was up most of the night watching the live tracking and George doing his live thing at the finish.Too bad he shut it down about midnight,:sour::( 3am for us eastcoasters.
If I ever make it out there, I`d love to give him a hand with his live feed setup.
Menzies had to be smokin mad:mad-new: Leading the race,out ahead a good distance . I guess, got a flat, then I think the truck broke!:eek-new::frown-new: Right at the end!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts