Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I recently tried out VHT's high temperature paint on the headers with terrible results. I followed the directions on the can, i.e. sanded the headers down to bare metal, removed grease/dirt, primed, sprayed color, etc. and all the coats immediately burned off within about a minute of running at idle. The can recommends to cure the paint on the car for 10 minutes at idle, then let cool for 20 minutes. I'm curious if anyone else has tried this as this is my second attempt with the same results. Is the paint getting too hot to quick, causing the curing process to fail? Or am I going wrong somewhere else?

Thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I media blasted mine and painted with VHT. It lasted a few rides looking ok, then mud got on it while hot and stained the paint. It was still protected, no rust but did not look good. I have since bought the ALBA SBD kit with new header (raw stainless) and it is much nicer. I have not had much luck with header paint. It just does not last. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
It never holds up very long. I had mine powder coated with heat powder and it lasted much longer but eventually failed.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Jet hot coatings is the way to go. The polished silver you can use metal polish to get the stains off also Jet Hot uses ceramic coating on the inside and the out side for great thermal barrier. They also have other coolers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts