Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Nice job and thank you! Have mine but haven't installed it yet!

Reactions: I10Fwy

·
Registered
341 Posts
Next time just go down to O'Reilly and buy a small roll of gasket material (like 6 bucks) then lay it over the piece you want a gasket for and take a small ball peen hammer and tap out a new gasket instead of jacking with RTV.

·
Registered
753 Posts
LOL last 30 seconds

Great vid, will help a lot of people.

Reactions: Gibbster

·
Registered
348 Posts
Very cool video Marc will help many yxz owners out :D

I wish Yamaha used o-ring seal on the clutch cover

·
Registered
404 Posts
Best part of that video, hands down, is the AC hat, hahaha

Marc, in my experience I have yet to find any aftermarket clutch be it EBC, Barnett, even Hinson to have the quality fiber plates that you find with OEM (jap). What's your observation on these kit plates? I have to presume the primary advantage is the heavier pull. What's your thought on keeping OEM fiber/metals and go for the springed pressure plate?

Appreciate your effort!

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Really appreciate all the kind comments. I know not everyone needs a video like this but I've done a bunch of these for the Arctic Cat trail models that came out last year and was surprised how many people find them helpful.

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great job, what turbo kit do you plan on installing?
I'm not sure yet, it seems every week there is another vendor announcing that they are making one. I will likely wait till the first quarter of next year just to give them time to be real world tested before making my decision.

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Best part of that video, hands down, is the AC hat, hahaha

Marc, in my experience I have yet to find any aftermarket clutch be it EBC, Barnett, even Hinson to have the quality fiber plates that you find with OEM (jap). What's your observation on these kit plates? I have to presume the primary advantage is the heavier pull. What's your thought on keeping OEM fiber/metals and go for the springed pressure plate?

Appreciate your effort!
Yep, I'm pretty loyal to my AC Sport.

I'm definitely the wrong guy to ask on the plates. I will say I have used Barnett kits before without issue, the Internet has strong opinions both ways. I would imagine we will know in 6 months as the turbos make it into the market place.

One thing I also noted is how much quite and smoother the transmission is as a whole with the Barnett setup in it, lots of the loading and unloading clacking is gone. My clutch also had a rattle when in neutral and the clutch pedal not depressed, that is gone now. After some driving last night I like the heavier clutch pedal.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Awesome job, Marc! Enjoyed the entertainment factor as well, LOL! Appreciate all your efforts.

·
Registered
2019 YXZ SS SE
707 Posts
Can you the improved pressure plate with the stock clutch plates.?

·
Registered
971 Posts
Here's a "Tip" some may find usefull in performing this upgrade if one doesn't have a new cover gasket. ALBA doesn't supply one in their upgrade clutch kit ?? ??

I use Hi-Temp Black RTV Silicone on in this case the clutch cover. If the surface is a machined flat surface I'll lightly rough up and apply a thin coat on the sealing surface. If needed use your finger to smooth out. Now for the difference compared to applying wet -- Let cure in a warm dry environment for at least 24 hours. More is better. I usually hang in the shop for a week. Don't have the time -- Then take into the house.

Once cured you now will have a permanent rubber gasket on the cover. It can be removed/installed over and over again without damage or causing any leaks. I've done this for decades on cooling systems when I reverse flow the heads and have to build a new aluminum plate to seal on a heads flat surface. Holds the cooling system pressure without any issue.

Just a thought .. .. :D

:)

1 - 20 of 76 Posts