Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All. I bought a new action camera. It is a Garmin VIRB Elite. The reason I picked this particular camera is that it allows a video overlay of GPS data like speed, heading and more.

The following video is just a portion of my ride. I recorded in 720p with image stabilization on. I also took some footage at 1080p later. If I get the time, I'll add that for comparison.

I am looking for some constructive criticism of the video. I am particularly interested in how well you like the camera placement. I am also interested in knowing if you'd like to see any other data besides speed, heading and the track. Also, their positions on the screen can be changed so let me know if you have any other suggestions. Also, if anyone has ideas on how to reduce the wind noise I would love to hear them.

Thanks for any input.

Buck

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
6gunz, can you please move this over to the Pictures and Videos section? I just realized I put it in the wrong place.

Thanks

·
Registered
122 Posts
Do you have any mods? Sounds like a short first gear. Thanks for posting this, I'm looking forward to Rock Run now.

Hey All. I bought a new action camera. It is a Garmin VIRB Elite. The reason I picked this particular camera is that it allows a video overlay of GPS data like speed, heading and more.

The following video is just a portion of my ride. I recorded in 720p with image stabilization on. I also took some footage at 1080p later. If I get the time, I'll add that for comparison.

I am looking for some constructive criticism of the video. I am particularly interested in how well you like the camera placement. I am also interested in knowing if you'd like to see any other data besides speed, heading and the track. Also, their positions on the screen can be changed so let me know if you have any other suggestions. Also, if anyone has ideas on how to reduce the wind noise I would love to hear them.

Thanks for any input.

Buck

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mods

Yes, I have done the 70/30 GYTR gear reduction as well as the 30" Braven Ironside tires. I am extremely happy with both. I also installed a Bazzaz fuel controller after I modded my stock exhaust.

Better hurry if you want to ride at Rock Run. They are only open the next three weekends before closing down for the winter.

Buck

·
Registered
14 Posts
Damn, that Garmin setup is sweet man. I'm going to buy one just from your video. So call and ask for commission money from them, haha. I bet is awesome though. Completely relive your ride every time you go out.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Damn, that Garmin setup is sweet man. I'm going to buy one just from your video. So call and ask for commission money from them, haha. I bet is awesome though. Completely relive your ride every time you go out.
It is pretty cool. I cant wait to get video at Hatfield next week.

·
Registered
122 Posts
It is pretty cool. I cant wait to get video at Hatfield next week.
The Garmin VIRB is a great camera. Battery life is low but turn off stabilization and it’s far better. I’ve been using mine since Father’s Day and like it quite a bit. Hopefully they continue to develop more accessories for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Garmin VIRB is a great camera. Battery life is low but turn off stabilization and it’s far better. I’ve been using mine since Father’s Day and like it quite a bit. Hopefully they continue to develop more accessories for it.
I've wired in a mini usb power source for it to alleviate worrying about the battery. The only problem is that the mini usb connection is also what would be used for an external microphone. I'm trying to get rid of wind and vibration noise, so an external mic is very attractive.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've wired in a mini usb power source for it to alleviate worrying about the battery. The only problem is that the mini usb connection is also what would be used for an external microphone. I'm trying to get rid of wind and vibration noise, so an external mic is very attractive.
I thought of that also by cutting a small hole into the case and silicone the connection into it. I think the sound is decent from my POV. If I mount it in the 1/4 windshield, I get vibration and wind noise. I’ll have to review my YouTube videos to see if wind noise is present.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Will do. Going to aoaa sunday, if nothing else derails my plans.
I'd like to try AOAA out some time. What kind of difficulty level variety do they have?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'd like to try AOAA out some time. What kind of difficulty level variety do they have?
Not difficult but some sections (which can be avoided) are challenging. Her is a recent video I did of the eastern side. The western side is more open. The second video should illustrate that. Join us Sunday.
Here is the western side a friend shot when we rode our atv’s.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the invite, but I'm leaving for Hatfield Sunday. I will take you up on the invite at a later date though for sure.

·
Registered
92 Posts

Thanks for any input.

Buck
Rock run is fun. Nice vid, was that for the 5 dollar days?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It was $5 day. There was much more traffic than usual, but it still wasn't bad.

·
Registered
265 Posts
What about using a USB splitter cable or using a USB hub?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts