Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never thought that I would ever say this but if Yamaha doesn't come out with a single seater when they release the new sxs's soon,,, I will get the rs1... Saw the rs1 for the 1st time in person and must say its a nice and going to be a fun machine to have... The fit and finish was nice,,, The suspension looked pretty beefy and the front diff looks big and tough... The suspension and drive line part numbers are the same as the 1000 xp turbo... So to me if its built to handle a turbo it should last a lot longer without a turbo... I am 6'' 1' 217 pounds and when I sat in the cock pit I had all sorts of room and real comfy too... The seat seemed to hug you pretty good but the only thing I did not like about the seat was it seemed to move around a lot even though it was locked in... I also liked how the harnesses bolted to the roll bar harness mounts instead of wrapping around the bar... The steering seem to be really light not heavy when sitting there at idle,,, I didn't get to drive it that will come later... The lights really seemed to be real bright even though it was during the day... The doors are nice and sturdy built well... Seems to be a nice machine... I just checked in with my insurance if I get it and add it to my YXZ policy and my YXZ is fully covered even has towing lol well I may need it now if I get the Rs1 lol but with both on the same policy it comes to $355.00 a year that sounds great to me...Not ready to buy it right now still want to wait a couple of months to see how they hold up in the real world with customers driving them...

·
Registered
890 Posts
From all of your posts Steve unless someone else builds a 2 seater soon, you will get the RS1 and those little things here and there about it you will fix to your liking and you will go out and and have some of the best times of your life. I think it’s bad ass but l will probably wait till next Summer to get a single seater. That gives Manufacturers two more model years to release one. Still holding out for a 3 pedal single seat and still enjoying and perfecting my YXZ. He didn’t wreck it but a guy l rode w/bought a 18 XP Turbo and folded lower a arm and tie rod 1st weekend out and the Dealer that fixed it warrantied them out along w/the ball joints and took them 3 weeks to do it. Needless to say they fired the lady that told him that the extended warranty covered abuse and crash damage and squared him away. I have no doubt the RS1 will be super fun.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Yea... I like the RS1 too ... I've seen them go for as low as $12,600 new out the door. If they run some rebates this summer... should be even lower. OR if they drop a turbo edition ... should see some used ones for sale and maybe dropped price of NA as well. Seems to be solid machine.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
$12,600 is a good price... I think they will have a turbo rs1 when they come out with the new models in a couple of months... I can just imagine an rs1 with a turbo in it,,, The only thing is I do not need a turbo which will save me even more money lol... Time will tell

Did you get to drive one???

·
Registered
753 Posts
$12,600 is a good price... I think they will have a turbo rs1 when they come out with the new models in a couple of months... I can just imagine an rs1 with a turbo in it,,, The only thing is I do not need a turbo which will save me even more money lol... Time will tell

Did you get to drive one???

I haven't driven one yet ... the dealer barely let me sit in it ... lol ... said it was not available for any demo drives. I've only seen a couple at dunes in person, but no one I know has one to drive.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From all of your posts Steve unless someone else builds a 2 seater soon, you will get the RS1 and those little things here and there about it you will fix to your liking and you will go out and and have some of the best times of your life. I think it’s bad ass but l will probably wait till next Summer to get a single seater. That gives Manufacturers two more model years to release one. Still holding out for a 3 pedal single seat and still enjoying and perfecting my YXZ. He didn’t wreck it but a guy l rode w/bought a 18 XP Turbo and folded lower a arm and tie rod 1st weekend out and the Dealer that fixed it warrantied them out along w/the ball joints and took them 3 weeks to do it. Needless to say they fired the lady that told him that the extended warranty covered abuse and crash damage and squared him away. I have no doubt the RS1 will be super fun.
What did he hit to fold up lower a-arm??? That would even be better if one would come out with the 3rd pedal... I agree still enjoying my Yxz too... And the Yxz isnt going anywhere the Rs1 will be an add on... Yes a good service manager can do a lot for you if your liked lol...

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't driven one yet ... the dealer barely let me sit in it ... lol ... said it was not available for any demo drives. I've only seen a couple at dunes in person, but no one I know has one to drive.
Lol it took me months just to see and touch one,,, They are selling pretty fast and not enough coming in right now for the masses... As soon as they are put together they are gone... I got the call yesterday about them they got a black and a white one in the white one wasn't quite all put together yet and the black one was getting some accessories installed then they will be gone... So I was there at 9:00 today just to look at them... I like the black one the best cant wait to drive one...

·
Registered
890 Posts
What did he hit to fold up lower a-arm??? That would even be better if one would come out with the 3rd pedal... I agree still enjoying my Yxz too... And the Yxz isnt going anywhere the Rs1 will be an add on... Yes a good service manager can do a lot for you if your liked lol...
Shale/Rock ledge up pipeline giving her hell. Granite "giving her hell" but never bent or see someone bend a Yamaha lol.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts

As I said in another post moments ago, this thing is all kinds of bad ass. Not liking the belt drive but other than that, well thought out machine. I love my Yxz to much to part with it for the RS1 but we bomber some serious trails this weekend and we have raced them often. Video editing now but have 9hours to go through. Never been a Polaris fan but I must admit, well engineered and innovative designs, especially in pulling Panels a parts and getting access to things. It was 86-87degrees in PA when we were riding and the only complaint was about the heat coming from the radiator behind the seat at times. Yxz forever!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts

As I said in another post moments ago, this thing is all kinds of bad ass. Not liking the belt drive but other than that, well thought out machine. I love my Yxz to much to part with it for the RS1 but we bomber some serious trails this weekend and we have raced them often. Video editing now but have 9hours to go through. Never been a Polaris fan but I must admit, well engineered and innovative designs, especially in pulling Panels a parts and getting access to things. It was 86-87degrees in PA when we were riding and the only complaint was about the heat coming from the radiator behind the seat at times. Yxz forever!!!!!!

We solved the heat issue by driving faster.

·
Registered
753 Posts

Does the fans blow up and out the back ? Or do the fans blows down and into machine / engine area ?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Does the fans blow up and out the back ? Or do the fans blows down and into machine / engine area ?
I do not have that answer for you. I would guess up and out if the design keeps in step with the rest of the machine. That would make he most sense.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I hope that it would take the engine heat and blow it out of the engine bay/area... Next time you have it running check to see when the fans come on which way the fans are blowing...

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Next year maybe. My dealer has two for sale and has sold two with no complaints yet. I like it and while not as comfy as my YXZ to sit in. Getting better

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I thought it was very comfy when sitting in it... I was amazed of how much room I had... The only thing I didn't care for was the seat seemed to really move around a lot...

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I thought it was very comfy when sitting in it... I was amazed of how much room I had... The only thing I didn't care for was the seat seemed to really move around a lot...
As you probably know by now, we are Deep into the discovery stage of these Rs-1 machines now Where do you live? Because you are more than welcome to take one of ours for a true test drive.

Some neat tid bits that the salesmen at the dealers don't really know...

Obvious the Radiator is in back and completely covered up so no Mud packing worries... But Fan comes on at 199 stock on these instead of the normal 205.
Snorkles for the Clutch and Air filter also work incredibly! I have splashed thru 2 feet mud holes at speed and both stayed bone dry.
Steering rack has a quicker steering ratio... so we haven't needed a steering quickner in these at all.
Rs1 uses the same Secondary clutch, rear Axles, radius rods and belt as the 18 xpT. Front axles and primary clutch are only Rs1 parts tho. And of course, same front Diff as the Turbo S too.
Has front and rear sway bars so the machine will corner very well right off the show room.

We have been struggling to get dialed in and then keep the secondary in solid shape in our N/A xp cars, but the Secondary on this one works Much Much better from the get go. So well in fact, we haven't even spent any time trying to tune it, or spend money on any kind of kit. Trust me, this is another Huge improvement too... Secondary xtras such as kits and temp guages added to the losses because of their Failures has cost us around 5000 this year alone!

And one of my personal driving favorites:
Not only does the Brake pedal have a lower pedal on the left to allow for 2-foot driving, the ECM allows for both pedals to be pessed for 3 seconds before throwing a engine light. AND, it doesn't throw it into limp mode hardly ever for brake and gas pedal simultaneously mashing them. I know to most people this is a Non-thought of issue, but for me it is HUGE! My check engine light is almost always on by turn 2 or 3, but in the 2 seater I would send it into limp mode almost once every lap even tho I was trying not to press them both! lol

Some negatives we have found..

Seat does flex way too much as you mentioned.
Lower front A-arms seem to be a tad too weak.
Eps will go out with the smallest hit too... Rack seems to be very tough, but my Eps goes out a lot, even when I just barely hit a tree! LOL

I raced my Rs1 this past weekend at the GNCC penton round and then raced a 17 xp later the same day. Of course the track was much rougher in the UTV race because it rained pretty hard before the start and there was so many more cars out there (74). A few thngs I noticed right away tho, the XP was more stable. Slower speed and acceleration wise, but definitely felt more in control thru the rougher turns. This could have been because there was 450 Lbs worth of people in there compared to my 200 Lbs only in the Rs1... or it could be the shorter wheel base and better pulling Rs1 just feels more out of control. We usually turn faster lap times on our small back yard practice track, but it would have been Awsome to do a couple of back to back laps on a big wore out track... maybe I can get some better comparison time in this summer.

After (7) xc races, I haven't changed one ball joint or radius rod yet. I have been two lower A-arms and one upper. My boy (who does drive harder and faster than me) has changed out one ball joint, two radius rods and one lower Arm tho. We change his belt every other race and mine after every 3rd race. Let me know if you get one because I will have a pile of extra belts too! :p

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As you probably know by now, we are Deep into the discovery stage of these Rs-1 machines now Where do you live? Because you are more than welcome to take one of ours for a true test drive.

Some neat tid bits that the salesmen at the dealers don't really know...

Obvious the Radiator is in back and completely covered up so no Mud packing worries... But Fan comes on at 199 stock on these instead of the normal 205.
Snorkles for the Clutch and Air filter also work incredibly! I have splashed thru 2 feet mud holes at speed and both stayed bone dry.
Steering rack has a quicker steering ratio... so we haven't needed a steering quickner in these at all.
Rs1 uses the same Secondary clutch, rear Axles, radius rods and belt as the 18 xpT. Front axles and primary clutch are only Rs1 parts tho. And of course, same front Diff as the Turbo S too.
Has front and rear sway bars so the machine will corner very well right off the show room.

We have been struggling to get dialed in and then keep the secondary in solid shape in our N/A xp cars, but the Secondary on this one works Much Much better from the get go. So well in fact, we haven't even spent any time trying to tune it, or spend money on any kind of kit. Trust me, this is another Huge improvement too... Secondary xtras such as kits and temp guages added to the losses because of their Failures has cost us around 5000 this year alone!

And one of my personal driving favorites:
Not only does the Brake pedal have a lower pedal on the left to allow for 2-foot driving, the ECM allows for both pedals to be pessed for 3 seconds before throwing a engine light. AND, it doesn't throw it into limp mode hardly ever for brake and gas pedal simultaneously mashing them. I know to most people this is a Non-thought of issue, but for me it is HUGE! My check engine light is almost always on by turn 2 or 3, but in the 2 seater I would send it into limp mode almost once every lap even tho I was trying not to press them both! lol

Some negatives we have found..

Seat does flex way too much as you mentioned.
Lower front A-arms seem to be a tad too weak.
Eps will go out with the smallest hit too... Rack seems to be very tough, but my Eps goes out a lot, even when I just barely hit a tree! LOL

I raced my Rs1 this past weekend at the GNCC penton round and then raced a 17 xp later the same day. Of course the track was much rougher in the UTV race because it rained pretty hard before the start and there was so many more cars out there (74). A few thngs I noticed right away tho, the XP was more stable. Slower speed and acceleration wise, but definitely felt more in control thru the rougher turns. This could have been because there was 450 Lbs worth of people in there compared to my 200 Lbs only in the Rs1... or it could be the shorter wheel base and better pulling Rs1 just feels more out of control. We usually turn faster lap times on our small back yard practice track, but it would have been Awsome to do a couple of back to back laps on a big wore out track... maybe I can get some better comparison time in this summer.

After (7) xc races, I haven't changed one ball joint or radius rod yet. I have been two lower A-arms and one upper. My boy (who does drive harder and faster than me) has changed out one ball joint, two radius rods and one lower Arm tho. We change his belt every other race and mine after every 3rd race. Let me know if you get one because I will have a pile of extra belts too! :p
Wished I lived close to you guys would love to go and see some of your races... But I live here in eastern Az... And thanks for the invite to drive one... I am sure that I will end up buying one if Yamaha doesn't come out with one lol... I will be looking to buy in about 4 to 5 months only to see how they are holding up and I am sure the turbo one will be here in a couple of months and the price of these will drop even more lol... I guess we will know what Yamaha will be coming out with I think I heard june 6th... But yes I will be looking to buy the one in black...

You said that the eps goes out when hitting small things??? Ok what do you mean??? I understand hitting a tree but does it go out when hitting deep ruts,,, rocks or rough terrain??? I like to hit the trails pretty fast and when things come up like saying coming out of a turn like wash outs etc if I cannot go around them or do not have time to slow down I will just go through it over it whatever it takes... I would hate that my eps would keep going out on me,,, But its not that bad is it???

I can understand if your xp would feel somewhat better in handling over short rough sections when racing just because of more weight holding the car down better...

Did you guys ever take them up steep hills??? Just wondering with the short wheel base if the front likes to come up on you at all...

All in all it seems that the rs1 is being put to the test with you guys racing them hard and seem to be hold up well...

Keep me posted thanks...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts