Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Wished I lived close to you guys would love to go and see some of your races... But I live here in eastern Az... And thanks for the invite to drive one... I am sure that I will end up buying one if Yamaha doesn't come out with one lol... I will be looking to buy in about 4 to 5 months only to see how they are holding up and I am sure the turbo one will be here in a couple of months and the price of these will drop even more lol... I guess we will know what Yamaha will be coming out with I think I heard june 6th... But yes I will be looking to buy the one in black...

You said that the eps goes out when hitting small things??? Ok what do you mean??? I understand hitting a tree but does it go out when hitting deep ruts,,, rocks or rough terrain??? I like to hit the trails pretty fast and when things come up like saying coming out of a turn like wash outs etc if I cannot go around them or do not have time to slow down I will just go through it over it whatever it takes... I would hate that my eps would keep going out on me,,, But its not that bad is it???

I can understand if your xp would feel somewhat better in handling over short rough sections when racing just because of more weight holding the car down better...

Did you guys ever take them up steep hills??? Just wondering with the short wheel base if the front likes to come up on you at all...

All in all it seems that the rs1 is being put to the test with you guys racing them hard and seem to be hold up well...

Keep me posted thanks...
We haven't done much hill climbing unless they are in a race course. lol

Eps on all of our newer Polaris seems to be a lot more sensitive... When my made his pass on me this past weekend he bumped my front tire and the eps went out. You just have to flip the key back and forth and it resets it.
BUT, the challenge with flipping the switch off is sometimes it turns off your AWD too!! In the case of the Rs1 the AWD will usually come back on fairly quick... But with the boys 17 xp you sometimes have to come to a complete stop to get the AWD to re-engage. Which will cost you positions... and cost us a rear bumper this past weekend too! He actually turned a flat corner and ran over some roots and it set his off this past race. He fell from 1st to 3rd by the time he got his AWD back on too. This weekend's race was pretty muddy and the Ohio mud is so sticky and heavy I am sure it was probably multiplying everything. He was still battling pretty hard for the top spot in his class and his belt let go. Post race we discovered that heavy mud had closed off the exhaust port on his clutch cover, so it basically couldn't ever cool down. He gotout and changed the belt and salvaged a 7th in class, but it still sucked.

I will post up a link for his video... Around the 9:18 mark you can see the eps light come on he doesn't hit anything... it happens again right before the belt lets go too around the 30.35 mark. Hits nothing there either. It's almost like they became Too sensitive from 17 on up.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Why would they make it so sensitive??? That's crazy to have it shut off like that... Hell out here it will never be on then lol...

That's a pretty rough race and I cannot believe it shuts off like that,,, I wouldn't like that one bit in a race... Any way to bypass that shut off and again what does it benefit to shut off like that???

·
Registered
753 Posts
I had a superatv power steering add on that was too sensitive like that. I added a toggle switch so I could turn power off and then back on while running down the trail. Would that work on your race cars? Splicing in and having dedicated on / off switch may reset it... not for sure tho.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I had a superatv power steering add on that was too sensitive like that. I added a toggle switch so I could turn power off and then back on while running down the trail. Would that work on your race cars? Splicing in and having dedicated on / off switch may reset it... not for sure tho.
I talked to a guy at this past weekend's race and he done this to his 18 model xp. So I will definitely look into getting a bypass wired in before our next round.

The boy didn't have a great race this past weekend either... had a pretty high speed roll over while trying to pass for the lead. Ugggh... everyone was fine, but car looks dazed and confused. lol

·
Administrator
3,621 Posts
The RS1 was on my radar...till I drove it. I think it would be a fun car for trails but it was kind of boring in the sand. Still glad I got the opportunity to beat on one though.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Marc, just curious as to why you thought it was boring? Not enough power? Weird handling?
This is good info for all of us to know....

·
Registered
971 Posts
I have to agree with Marc -- I have both and have now put a few hundred miles on the RS1.

I've done several modifications -- Here's a walkaround from a few weeks ago.

To Marc's point of being boring to operate -- Yup .. It's boring !! Just throttle and steer.

Here's some more points between the two:

Getting into the machine -- One has to lift one's foot quite high to get over the lip and swinging into the seat is a bit cumbersome. Once in -- Although the view is quite good .. .. It's not nearly as good as the "Z". The seat is upright and isn't positioned nearly as comfortable as the laid-back seat of the "Z".

If one uses their legs to brace the body as I do in the "Z" -- Which works very well .. .. It's much more difficult to do in the RS1 -- And I've installed a door bag with a large pad just for this purpose.

Flashing the ECU -- Can't be done by the owner as compared the "Z". I have flashed mine using the Powervision CX but the tune came from an aftermarket shop. I do like the PVCX though as it monitors/displays somewhere around 30 sensors/data points and is very easy to datalog.

Top speed on the sand after the flash/exhaust and full clutch re-work .. .. A disappointing 70 MPH. Here's a 360 video I shot on one datalog run -- Testing the belt .. .. There are issues and I'll touch on them down in the post. It was cold and the 360 camera runs hot and condensation was on the inside of both lens .. So it's a bit fuzzy in the center. I aimed for a 30 second WOT run and it came in at 40 seconds at WOT. Belt held -- But it has an issue I'll touch on shortly. Here's the video:

The clutch system is the same as on the Turbo machine. It's now much easier to work on BUTT ...... Even though the RS1 on only N/A and about 50 HP less than the Turbo -- The belt slips .. .. And very badly at full shiftout as evident in this video:

I fully serviced the clutch when I received the machine as shown at the beginning of the video. Then one can see where on the primary it couldn't hold the belt. Then I installed a complete clutch kit -- Primary and secondary including a custom Helix and snap ring delete kit. I also set the belt deflection much tighter and buttoned up the clutch and then made 2 datalog WOT runs.

Back in the shop I opened up the clutch and immediately saw the primary still couldn't hold the belt at full shiftout. I measured the belt and compared the mileage from my records and found that I had eliminated belt wear by 75% but was disappointed with the clutch. So -- I now have adjusted my driving style slightly and try and avoid 100% throttle at full shift out which is at appx. 35 MPH all in an effort to get as much life out of the belt as possible. I also run a clutch blower.

The Ride -- Here the RS1 wins hands down. So much smoother - And as I can't tolerate spine compression .. This ride works better for me.

The RS1 has a much tighter turning radius.

The wheel studs are larger and require just over twice the amount of torque. The '19 "Z" should now be the same and with the Polaris bolt pattern opens up a whole host of new wheel options and the wheel will be much stronger.

Servicing -- Here the RS1 wins big. On the other hand -- Putting oil in the engine SUCKS !!

Bottom line -- There is no better machine than the "Z" for the ultimate driver experience.

Power -- Hands down for the "Z". The motor responds extremely well under Pressure and the machine is controllable unless one runs above 2 BAR -- Then things can get a bit twitchy.

The RS1 on the other hand when one adds just a bit of Pressure -- Likes to lift the front end rather easily.

I could go on .. Think I'll stop here.

FUN Times .. .. :encouragement:

·
Administrator
3,621 Posts
Sparky pretty well nailed my sentiments.

The rs1 is sluggish on the throttle. I think I could get coffee made while waiting on it to accelerate. Seating position sucks, you flop around in the cab, I smelled a lot of belt, low top end in the sand, has the typical popo body roll.

Pluses were the sight lines, turning radius, ride quality, price point, and I think it looks cool.

One thing I don't get is I've ridden with some very fast xp1k's, so I don't understand how the rs1 was so underwhelming.

The owner had aptly named his rs1 "pinned". Pretty accurate because you are just about always trying to push the gas through the floor.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Good review and info... one less thing on my possible "want list".

·
Registered
182 Posts
$12,600 is a good price... I think they will have a turbo rs1 when they come out with the new models in a couple of months... I can just imagine an rs1 with a turbo in it,,, The only thing is I do not need a turbo which will save me even more money lol... Time will tell

Did you get to drive one???
We saw a Boon Dockers RS1 Turbo at St Anthony this summer. It needs, deserves and handles the Turbo like it was built for it. Everything needs a Turbo..

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Agree! Everything's better boosted!

·
Registered
753 Posts
Good review and info... one less thing on my possible "want list".

I retract this statement.

Finally drove one last weekend... really fun car.

Needs boost for dunes, but what doesn't? It's still able to keep up.

With wheelbase and power at 110hp .. it was pretty much as I expected.

Suspension is about equal to yxz... little soft stock and could probably use better springs. Body roll was non-issue .. it cornered and turns great... but above all, it was just fun ... really cool experience being in center of car and makes you feel really connected and predictable.

I want one as backup car or solo riding car... maybe some day.

·
Administrator
3,621 Posts
I agree somewhat. The car was much better with the different paddles but I still didn't come back from the ride with a desire to buy one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thank you for letting me join your group ! I love our YXZ. We take it out to Glamis any time we can. Put the Chihuahuas in the RV and we are off!!!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thank you for letting me join your group ! I love our YXZ. We take it out to Glamis any time we can. Put the Chihuahuas in the RV and we are off!!!!

Live like there might not be a tomorrow. And Chihuahuas rule!

21 - 36 of 36 Posts