Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm certain there's another lucky person here who has theirs. PM me and we can share install secrets.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Seen this on u-tube but only photo's........ Thanks SuperDunner

·
Registered
118 Posts
So I took my car down to Weller early morning on the 16th with the plan to have the install completed by the next day and then off to Glamis. Unfortunately, not all the exhaust components showed up in the UPS morning drop off, so I ended up not getting it done. They did however install my Alba/Barnett clutch swap and re-valved my shocks to keep the back end planted a little better. I'm going back on the 14th for the RPM install and possible ECU reflash. Can't wait..

I too was originally going with the MPI kit mainly because of the durability testing they completed at Yamaha's request. But after looking at their placement of the intercooler right on top of the motor and using a single fan (plus I was never a big fan of the sideways exhaust) the vertically mounted, twin fan intercooler on the RPM made more sense. Plus I get dual exhaust out the back!

·
Registered
148 Posts
So I took my car down to Weller early morning on the 16th with the plan to have the install completed by the next day and then off to Glamis. Unfortunately, not all the exhaust components showed up in the UPS morning drop off, so I ended up not getting it done. They did however install my Alba/Barnett clutch swap and re-valved my shocks to keep the back end planted a little better. I'm going back on the 14th for the RPM install and possible ECU reflash. Can't wait..

I too was originally going with the MPI kit mainly because of the durability testing they completed at Yamaha's request. But after looking at their placement of the intercooler right on top of the motor and using a single fan (plus I was never a big fan of the sideways exhaust) the vertically mounted, twin fan intercooler on the RPM made more sense. Plus I get dual exhaust out the back!
Sorry the previous install attempt didn't work out as planned but hopefully you are under boost on the 14th. you'll be glad you waited!

For those on the fence, we are trying to our best to make kits as fast as possible, but unfortunately it just never seems fast enough. Quality takes time... If you are interested please let us know asap, or call Weller Racing as they will be stocking kits if we can ever get caught up. On a side note, we are looking for another fabricator to hire full time, but as you are probably aware they have to be at the top of their game.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So you decided to go from the MPI to the RPM? Curious why, ease and potential to upgrade the power down the road?
I have a fusion surgery on the 18th so I decided to hold off on the MPI and allow somebody else to get their hands on one. I originally had hope to have it for a trip we did in late Sept but they didn't get it to me until after the trip, therefore the priority was not as great. Then I talked to Ghettosled and Corry. Things changed. Decided I needed boost for an event before surgery. Here we are.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now I just need to chat with somebody who is in the same boat as me, trying to make sense of the pictures.

·
Registered
128 Posts

The MPI exhaust unfortunately looks like an afterthought. IMO

·
Registered
199 Posts
The MPI exhaust unfortunately looks like an afterthought. IMO
last weekend I did the MPI installation on my little Minion. The first thing i was going to do when complete was have a new exhaust made for it. I already spoke to a manufacturer and gave him all the specs for a custom can and bracket. Once i got the unit installed and saw it in person and heard it run. I instantly liked it. pictures do not do it justice just like the color.. You have to see it in person to get a good perspective. Hearing it run made a big difference as well. it has a deeper tone for sure.

·
Registered
128 Posts
last weekend I did the MPI installation on my little Minion. The first thing i was going to do when complete was have a new exhaust made for it. I already spoke to a manufacturer and gave him all the specs for a custom can and bracket. Once i got the unit installed and saw it in person and heard it run. I instantly liked it. pictures do not do it justice just like the color.. You have to see it in person to get a good perspective. Hearing it run made a big difference as well. it has a deeper tone for sure.
As long as you like it, thats what matters. We already checked the MPI out at the Sand Show and no the yellow doesn't look any better in person. Some people just don't like yellow especially my wife.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Seen this on u-tube but only photo's........ Thanks SuperDunner

Unfortunately, that is actually the install manual for now. I've provided a ton of feedback to Jason on the challenges I faced throughout the install - to the point where I am certain I am not their favorite customer. I'm confident that once they have a chance to perfect the installation guide and packaging, this Weller version of the RPM kit is going to be very popular. They definitely have some kinks to work out though.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How'd it turn out CC? What did we decide was the total install time on the MPI?

·
Registered
199 Posts
How'd it turn out CC? What did we decide was the total install time on the MPI?
Happy with the install now. Me and the boy had 3 hours Friday night, Finished Saturday with the rest of the crew at a total of 10.5 hours. spoke to Justin on Monday and he wanted to review the install and cover some steps others had missed to ensure we did not encounter any issues. One of the steps #116 had a hole that needed to be opened up. About 20 previous installs had missed it causing some smoking in the exhaust. he decided to do that work in the manufacturing process to ease the assembly. I cant say enough good things about their customer service.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
How bout a ride report ASAP? :D

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How bout a ride report ASAP? :D
X2!!! Please!!! I know it fast but how does it run when you're not thrashing it?
If you are asking me, then that will have to wait. I hit a few snags during the install that has delayed the final result. As for DoubleC - yeah, where is your ride report???

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Happy with the install now. Me and the boy had 3 hours Friday night, Finished Saturday with the rest of the crew at a total of 10.5 hours. spoke to Justin on Monday and he wanted to review the install and cover some steps others had missed to ensure we did not encounter any issues. One of the steps #116 had a hole that needed to be opened up. About 20 previous installs had missed it causing some smoking in the exhaust. he decided to do that work in the manufacturing process to ease the assembly. I cant say enough good things about their customer service.
solid customer service cannot ever be overstated. Good or you bud.

·
Registered
148 Posts
solid customer service cannot ever be overstated. Good or you bud.
If you ended up buying one of our turbo kits and have any issues or questions regarding the install please don't hesitate to call /email (preferred) or you can PM me but I don't think it's setup to email notifications yet. I'd like to hear any feedback good or bad so we can make the install as simple as possible. Sometimes when you design a kit and have taken it on/off 10 times it feels like it goes together with your eyes closed and a few simple tips for first timers can be easy overlooked. .

1 - 20 of 156 Posts