Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I recently purchased the Weller turbo kit, the base option since I wanted to run the straight pipe, and I recently ordered the new 3 bar map sensor setup, with the power vision 3. So ide be running the complete Weller turbo setup with there block off plates, there throttle body tie down kit, and the turbo dump pipe they offer, And their tuning thru the power vision. It’s all getting installed on my 2021 ss se. I’ve been trying to find something on the forum but I am probably searching the wrong words or just haven’t looked hard enough. But my question is, is everything I have good for the install or am I missing anything or am I good to go for a reliable setup probably just going to run the normal 7 psi.

· Registered
406 Posts
@JoelRM start saving for the JTE BoostLok. If you can get it now, do so while you still have clutch life. For the SS there is no better option.

A spare fan for the intercooler won't hurt. Upgrade to a brushless if it's not already. Spal Brushless.

· Registered
2019 YXZ1000R SS SE White
509 Posts
@JoelRM start saving for the JTE BoostLok. If you can get it now, do so while you still have clutch life. For the SS there is no better option.

A spare fan for the intercooler won't hurt. Upgrade to a brushless if it's not already. Spal Brushless.
I ended up getting the GYTR clutch setup, hoping it will do the trick for me but my goals will most likely never exceed 200whp either.

· Registered
509 Posts
Others with the base Weller have smoked their oem clutches. Let me know how the GYTR Clutch works out, I would say it's about close to the same price as BoostLok.
Yeah, if it doesnt pan out then perhaps I'll add boostlok to it down the road. I liked the OE-like upgrade that it is, and figured it "hopefully" will handle all I am looking to make in due time. Will definitely post if it causes me any grief, about ready to see if I smoke the OE clutch here shortly on base GYTRv1 turbo kit first.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@ZUMNyxzSS, no way that is such little miles, being honest the clutch never crossed my mind since not that many people mention it, that’ll be something I’ll have to look into, might wait on the install a little longer, I want it to be reliable enough to just install everything and rip and worry about anything going especially something expensive.

· Registered
91 Posts
Hey everyone, I recently purchased the Weller turbo kit, the base option since I wanted to run the straight pipe, and I recently ordered the new 3 bar map sensor setup, with the power vision 3. So ide be running the complete Weller turbo setup with there block off plates, there throttle body tie down kit, and the turbo dump pipe they offer, And their tuning thru the power vision. It’s all getting installed on my 2021 ss se. I’ve been trying to find something on the forum but I am probably searching the wrong words or just haven’t looked hard enough. But my question is, is everything I have good for the install or am I missing anything or am I good to go for a reliable setup probably just going to run the normal 7 psi.
You’ll be super reliable and love it. Pull all the rear plastics and the radiator. I repeat PULL THE RADIATOR. Makes life so much easier.
Boost is addicting though and the weller 15psi upgrade is pretty awesome once you are bored with 7psi.

· Registered
583 Posts
I have the Weller/RPM turbo kit with the Weller built motor for high boost and love it! No issues at all after 4 years of Glamis. My car is a 3 pedal with Barnett HD clutch and TW oil mod. All stock drivetrain still, but it's a duner, not a drag car. Love this set up, no issues at all.

· Registered
509 Posts
Went out with newly installed GYTRv1 turbo kit this weekend, had fresh oil in trans, the 1300 mile well used OE clutch started slipping first time in boost in higher gears (4th, 5th). Still finished a long 200 mile aggressive woods ride thereafter and car still is usable as 1st and 2nd worked ok but the taller gears it would slip pretty easy w all the extra torque. In with the GYTR clutch next up.

· Registered
63 Posts
Went out this weekend, had fresh oil in trans, the 1300 mile well used OE clutch started slipping first time in boost in higher gears (4th, 5th). Still finished a long 200 mile aggressive woods ride thereafter and car still is usable as 1st and 2nd worked ok but the taller gears it would slip pretty easy w all the extra torque. In with the GYTR clutch next up.
Don't know if you ever mentioned it or not, but did you do the oil mod for the clutch? When I put the turbo on mine, I did the tubeworks basket and double sping in. I have never had it slip under load. Reason I ask, is when I installed the new basket, only 3 or 4 clutch disks had any oil at all. Most were bone dry. Could be pert of the slip. Just curious.
Rick

· Registered
509 Posts
Don't know if you ever mentioned it or not, but did you do the oil mod for the clutch? When I put the turbo on mine, I did the tubeworks basket and double sping in. I have never had it slip under load. Reason I ask, is when I installed the new basket, only 3 or 4 clutch disks had any oil at all. Most were bone dry. Could be pert of the slip. Just curious.
Rick
Completely stock 1300 mile clutch (on a SS), first WOT in taller gears on new turbo setup began slipping. Still works but already anticipated it so have a GYTR setup to put in.

· Registered
509 Posts
Let us know what you find when you rip it apart. The dry frictions really bothered me when I did mine.
I’m sure it’s the same failure mode as typical too. I didn’t care to do any modding to it as I figured when I took the time to pull apart I’d just put the entire upgraded GYTR setup in, plan on doing exhaust and tune next up and knew I’ll need all the help I can get. I think I had used the Yamaha 10w/40 first, but went to the Yamaha 15w/50 with the fresh change, it seemed to shift and take off smoother but makes me wonder if it affected the slippage any.

· Registered
583 Posts
A question for you guys with the GYTR turbo.. a friend has this on his '21 YXZ SS and he keeps getting a trans warning light on dash when under boost for more than a few seconds. Then car shuts down, he has to turn key off, wait a few seconds to reset the warning light, then car works again until he gets in to boost again, like going up a dune or hard acceleration. We are thinking the clutch is slipping, is there a sensor that detects slippage and puts car in limp mode? It did this many times this weekend at Glamis.

· Registered
509 Posts
A question for you guys with the GYTR turbo.. a friend has this on his '21 YXZ SS and he keeps getting a trans warning light on dash when under boost for more than a few seconds. Then car shuts down, he has to turn key off, wait a few seconds to reset the warning light, then car works again until he gets in to boost again, like going up a dune or hard acceleration. We are thinking the clutch is slipping, is there a sensor that detects slippage and puts car in limp mode? It did this many times this weekend at Glamis.
My clutch was slipping pretty bad, but mainly in 4th/5th, moderately in 3rd, and not really noticeable in 1st/2nd. There were no errors but I was also trying my best to keep it from slipping to keep it as functional as possible.

· Registered
583 Posts
I think that his next step, the boost lock set up. Another friend just had one put in his SS and loves it! We just got back from a Glamis trip and he said it was smooth, no more jerky action when starting off. The other SS seems to be getting worse as far as slipping goes.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts