Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This video left me with a few questions.

Maybe I'm missing something here -- Why use Barnett's pressure plate and not their clutch pack ??

Torque on the center nut ??

Mentioned the stiff pressure plate springs and there are other springs available -- What's the current pressure of the Green one's and what else is available/their pressure weights and a chart comparing the stock pressure compared to all available spring combinations.

Mentioned changing the oil if the clutch was burned -- Should have mentioned servicing the screen as most won't service from this point in the near future.

·
Registered
314 Posts
After 3 min of video he set they already switch the plates, I assume for Barnett....
But just curious why those first 3 friction plate need to have a bigger inside diameter bigger and use those judder springs ? Will be not better to have friction plate same as the rest with larger friction area for better hold ???
milos

·
Registered
143 Posts
Definitely get the clutch kit to get rid of those judder springs and that wire that holds part of the clutch pack

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Milos --

I based my post/comment on the clutch pack being all stock based on Marc's video where he used the complete Barnett clutch kit. And like you also questioned -- Those 1st 3 disc's aren't Barnett clutch disc's. It makes no sense to mix/match stock disc's with Barnett disc's.

I also question why he doesn't use the Barnett clutch pack as he pulled the engine presumably to re-work pumping up the volume and the Barnett kit offers more surface clamping area compared to stock.

While I love video's -- Especially instructional video's -- This one leaves one with a few important questions.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Definitely get the clutch kit to get rid of those judder springs and that wire that holds part of the clutch pack
According to Marc video even Barnett kit came with 3 friction plate with bigger inside diameter to have possibility to use judder springs. He just choose not to use them, but was wondering if you use same full friction plate like those remaining 8 are instead....if will be any problem ?
milos

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hey Milos --

I based my post/comment on the clutch pack being all stock based on Marc's video where he used the complete Barnett clutch kit. And like you also questioned -- Those 1st 3 disc's aren't Barnett clutch disc's. It makes no sense to mix/match stock disc's with Barnett disc's.

I also question why he doesn't use the Barnett clutch pack as he pulled the engine presumably to re-work pumping up the volume and the Barnett kit offers more surface clamping area compared to stock.

While I love video's -- Especially instructional video's -- This one leaves one with a few important questions.
You right, they are not really clear, if they replaced those first 3 or not....
milos

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
Must be nice to do it on a bench. The plates he had in the video looked like Barnett plates, the OEM plates look completely different (both friction and steel).

·
Registered
129 Posts
A few words of caution.
Yamaha used a lock nut on this clutch. It is designed with a bendable ring that locks it to the main shaft. Make sure you bend the tab up before removing the nut. If you don't it will damage the threads.

Make sure you have a new clutch cover gasket.

I did mine in the car and it wasn't to bad. Scraping the gasket off the trans housing was tricky. I used PPC ( Yamaha Performance Parts Cleaner ) to help soften it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
just got off the phone with jason weller we were talking about another project but then i ask why put the judder springs back in and he said that with out them it was really hard to get into netural and also it would clunk real hard going into gear so they recomend useing the judder springs for these reasons

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
just got off the phone with jason weller we were talking about another project but then i ask why put the judder springs back in and he said that with out them it was really hard to get into netural and also it would clunk real hard going into gear so they recomend useing the judder springs for these reasons
Interesting. I'm not running the Judder springs and I haven't had any trouble finding neutral and I think the transmission is noticeably quieter now.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Interesting. I'm not running the Judder springs and I haven't had any trouble finding neutral and I think the transmission is noticeably quieter now.
Did you use the 3 small clutch disc? I have kit but was thinking of leaving out the judder springs and using larger fibers In place of the small ones.

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
Did you use the 3 small clutch disc? I have kit but was thinking of leaving out the judder springs and using larger fibers In place of the small ones.
I used the all the new Barnett plates, including the smaller ones setup for the Judder.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The reason we published this video was to make you aware of other options when switching out your clutch. We have done it both ways but we feel that this way was much easier. Use it or don't use it. It's completely up to you.

Yes. It is easier to get it in neutral and it shifts better when the judder springs are left in. If you are using the 3 big I.D. plates anyway them why not just put them back in?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts