Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently using a GP3 Silver which is fine but it lacks any performance data (GPS, Accelerometer, Incline, Altitude, etc.). I am trying to figure out which camera is currently leading the pack but info seems all over the place.

I like the Garmin but reviews seem mixed.
I see GPH5 Black started adding GPS data but accuracy seems questionable
Sony has limited GPS but that is about it.

Any favorites out there?

·
Registered
971 Posts
This is one topic that doesn't get much discussion on the Forum -- I'll offer my $.02 worth .......... Might be all you will get here.

Reviews -- I suggest not to put much credence in a review. It's usually the user that doesn't fully understand the camera and how to option it -- Mount it or work with the software.

I've got maybe a dozen camera's I've collected over the years. Currently I run 2 -- Front is a Garmin Virb Ultra 30 and the rear is a GP3.

I do have a piggyback GPS module (getdatamusic) for the GP3 -- But the software leaves much to be desired - But will create a data overlayed video. I also have a standalone GPS data logger and using Dashware I can import the GPS file and create data overlayed video's using the GP3. Although this works well -- It's very time consuming to create a data overlayed video.

Using a camera that has the embedded sensors -- Really makes it a snap to create data overlayed video's.

The Garmin has a built-in video stabilizer and works quite well. Really helps to take out most of video shake/jello. I also have a gimbal that I can use for any of the camera's. It does have it's issues. I rarely use it anymore as the camera's stabilizer works that good -- But it does crop the video a bit where using a gimbal doesn't.

Whatever camera you choose -- It's how it's optioned ........ The use of an external microphone -- How it's mounted and location and powered -- Internal or external battery all play a role in the story one is trying to tell.

Here are 6 sample video's I've put together over the past few months. All are at the same location but with different camera settings -- Different mounted locations and different software formatted created video's. All video's are at the same location but each tells a vastly different story.

PiP video:

Camera stabilizer:

Outboard string video:

Audio mixed string video:

And lastly here's a video of stills shot using the time lapse feature with music overlay:

Both camera's are wireless remote triggered - From their respective remotes mounted on the steering wheel. This not only makes it a snap to trigger but also to sync when creating a PiP video. Pic:

P_20170915_080709.jpg

And finally -- A few mounting locations used for the above video's:

P_20170426_131902.jpg

P_20170915_080401.jpg

P_20170821_115805.jpg

P_20171020_123340.jpg

P_20170603_074951.jpg

P_20171003_080039.jpg

Probably more than you wanted to know -- Now it's up to you .. .. .. Good Luck :encouragement:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Sparky...this is fantastic stuff. In fact, I think it was your videos that got me interested in the overlay info on the cameras.

Are you pretty happy with the Garmin? The quality looks great...is the battery life pretty good?

Where do you find the remotes? I have been triggering my GP3 the old fashioned way...did not even know there was a remote you could get.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Sure -- Probably was ..... Doesn't seem to be much interest on the Forum for this stuff.

Pretty happy -- Yes. They all have their quirks. As far as battery life -- They are all about the same. About 1 hour at 4K and just about twice as long at 1080. The battery on all is replaceable so one can carry spares to extend the recording. Also one can remote power -- Battery bank/vehicle power, Etc. Running an external mic then does become problematic.

The remote is available from each manufacturer. Really a must have. Having a wireless remote really extends the camera battery life. Trigger only when you want to shoot an event instead of just letting the camera film the entire outing and then having to post edit.

Also -- The GP remote is rechargeable and the battery is non-replaceable and works via WiFi. Garmin's remote is not re-chargeable -- The battery is replaceable/round watch battery type and the remote works via Bluetooth. The GP remote has an LCD screen and displays the camera vitals -- Garmin has no screen. Having both -- I prefer Garmin's. Being each works on a different frequency I can trigger at the same time -- This is another plus !!

Just to touch on creating the various video's I posted. To create the PnP video -- Although Garmin's software offers this feature -- One has to use Garmin camera's and that sucks! I had to use the Garmin software to create a data overlayed video then use Filmora to create the PiP video. A bit time consuming but interesting end result.

Frankly I only scratch the surface on what one can do. Personally I don't like video editing. Also I only use a sub 200 dollar mini-fanless PC. Very archaic and slow but does get the job done.

One tidbit on the Garmin -- One doesn't have access to the GPS file ...... And this presents a problem if one uses software other than Garmin's. Garmin's software works very well but is lacking in a few areas. Another software package is RaceRender3 -- Much more powerful and feature rich. Might want to check out this software and if you wish to use -- Then research which camera is compatible with it.

Another camera option that might be of interest is Sony's latest offering. It has the best image stabilization of them all and is a full featured action camera. There's also a TON of other action camera's that are really inexpensive.

Good Luck .. .. :D

·
Registered
137 Posts
I wasn't interested in this subject till I watched Scottymac's videos. I believe he has a Sony system he uses and they are pretty good. My wife who can't watch most of these action videos can watch Scottys and wants me to start making some. Is the gimbal what helps to make these videos smooth and keeps them level?

·
Registered
971 Posts
That's the magic of a gimbal -- Stabilized video's.

Here's my gimbal with the Garmin mounted on it:

P_20170107_101455.jpg

Here's 2 camera mounts -- Gimbal mounted on the right:

P_20170426_131552.jpg

And mounted on the machine:

P_20170217_122917.jpg

If you watch the above video titled -- Camera stabilizer -- You can see the benefit of a stable video and how much the machine darts around. This is using just the built in camera stabilizer. This is much preferred to using a gimbal as there are several disadvantages with it's use.

On the Tube -- There are tons of video's one can watch to compare.

With today's action camera's -- There really isn't a need to run a gimbal. The camera's stabilization is really that good -- And this solves many issues !!

Hope this helps ....... Now -- Lets see what ya got .. .. :D

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have a Garmin Virb Elite and a Sony HDR-AS200V.

I bought the Virb just for the on screen overlays. I think they are really awesome. The camera itself is pretty good too. I do have a problem with wind noise.

The Sony is outstanding, but has relatively short battery life.

Whatever you end up going with for a camera, mounting is paramount. I bought this. The site is https://www.ioportracing.com/i/o-port-products/camera-mount-for-medium-to-large-cameras-i/o-port/
cm1-2.jpg

That mount is for medium to large cameras. They have smaller mounts as well.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Here is a vid taken with the Garmin VIRB Elite at Hatfield McCoy. Skip ahead to about 45 seconds.

·
Registered
217 Posts
That vid was taken at 720p to conserve memory card space. It records at 1080p too.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Thanks! The one thing that I don't like about our YXZ's is that there is a lot of water and mud that enters the cabin. I don't think it's as bad as a Wildcat, but I am looking for ways to reduce unwanted water and mud from coming in. It's a real PITA keeping the camera and my goggles clean.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Solution -- Head West Young Man .. .. :D

And if that doesn't work for ya -- Here's a couple of thoughts ........ Mount the camera higher.

I've built dozens of mounts over the years. Here's an early experiment. I used an old broom handle -- Cut to length .. Sanded/painted black and ran a couple of wraps of electrical tape around next to the ends and tie-wrapped to the "A" pillar. Originally I mounted just above the frame attachment point - Here it is mounted high by the roof.

P_20171106_115025.jpg

The wood does vibrate some - But was cheap to experiment with. One could easily make out of electrical EMT which would be light weight and stiffer.

Here's another mount I made out of 1" flat stock and ty-wrapped to the roll bar next to the mirror.

P_20170107_102539.jpg

That worked well but the vehicle wasn't centered in the video so I built an off-set braced extension for it - Pic:

P_20171106_112623.jpg

Here's a couple of pic's installed:

P_20171106_113541.jpg

P_20171106_113638.jpg

P_20171106_113851.jpg

Just a few thoughts for ya -- Good Luck ........ Enjoyed the video's -- So don't stop .. .. :encouragement:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts