Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that we've seen a couple of quick comparison videos, what would you like to see next, particularly from press sources? What vehicles, what terrain, what tests?

Drag races are fun, but most of us don't buy these cars to drag race. I'd like to see a head to head comparison over a course that includes a variety of conditions, i.e. dirt, sand, whoops, turns, hill climbs, etc... Let's test the whole driving experience (traction, acceleration, braking, stability in turns, etc...) rather than just one aspect. Overall speed, driver experience, and comfort should be addressed.

I'd also like to address the best way to choose the competitors. Some want to see the 'flagship' models compared - the best stock vehicle each manufacturer produces regardless of cost. I would argue that the majority of buyers don't have an unlimited budget, thus would prefer to see a test that shows them an honest dollar-for-dollar comparison.

Next, do we compare MSRP or OTD figures? IMO, MSRP is the more useful comparison for most, since OTD figures vary greatly due to demand, area of country one lives in, the individual's skill at bargaining, etc...

Finally, do we compare vehicles based on how they are equipped from the factory, or do we test comparably equipped vehicles (i.e. do we add skid plates, doors, roofs, larger tires, etc... to the vehicles that don't come so equipped from the factory)? I would argue that these items add value (and weight), thus all competitors should be brought up the same standard before testing. The trick is going to be balancing the equipment packages and MSRP so that all competitors are about equal cost.

When I have some more free time I'll put together a list of vehicles for such a comparison. What are everyone else's thoughts on the subject?

·
Registered
537 Posts
I want to see the top n/a cars race. then see a turbo Yami race the turbo Polaris and CanAm. Drag races, up steep dunes, and shortcourse please!

·
Registered
202 Posts
1. All of the vehicles stock.

2. All of the vehicles comparably equipped.

You can use the dollar amounts (both MSRP and OTD) as one component of the comparison. (i.e. Vehicle "A" wins by a small margin but costs $6,000 more.)

·
Registered
275 Posts
all stock n/a racing a 5+ mile course of mixed terrain then switch drivers and do it again. it would be cool to see the yxz against the turbos do the same race but I want to see an apples to apples race.

·
Registered
160 Posts
all stock n/a racing a 5+ mile course of mixed terrain then switch drivers and do it again. it would be cool to see the yxz against the turbos do the same race but I want to see an apples to apples race.
Exactly naturally aspirated vs naturally aspirated 1000's
Then on the track swapping drivers.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I would think that any comparisons (especially at this early date) should be between the competitive models in their respective class. I also believe that the tests should be on varied terrain so as to see where each competitor excels or not.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I decided to use the YXZ100R as the baseline for my first proposed comparison, given that it seems to have the most standard features (and this is a YXZ forum after all ;)). I started with the base model 64" 1000cc EPS sport machine from each manufacturer, and added full doors, basic roof, full skid plates, and premium adjustable shocks w/dual rate springs to make them all fairly comparable. Here are the competitors and the final price w/factory accessories:

1) Yamaha YXZ1000R $19,799.00 MSRP
2) RZR XP 1000 EPS $20,299.00 + $399 (door inserts) + $399 (roof) + $499 (skid plates) = $21,596.00
3) Maverick DPS $17,449.00 MSRP + $719 (doors) + $499 (roof) + $1099 (skid plates) = $19,766.00
4) Wildcat Limited $19,999.00 MSRP + $679 (skid plates) = 20,678.00

Call this the $20k shootout. When I get a minute I'll see what a $25k shootout would look like.

·
Registered
753 Posts
You're on YXZ forum where all objectivity has gone out the window and most fan base here doesn't even own one, drove one, or seen one in person.

So everyone HERE is going to want you to compare anything and everything whereby the Yamaha comes out on top.

Enuff said.

·
Registered
195 Posts
You're on YXZ forum where all objectivity has gone out the window and most fan base here doesn't even own one, drove one, or seen one in person.

So everyone HERE is going to want you to compare anything and everything whereby the Yamaha comes out on top.

Enuff said.
LOL! I wish they had on of those smiley's stirring the pot...
Pot stir.jpg

·
Registered
106 Posts

Enuff said.
Just so your Mav turbo is on top though, right?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts