Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a single axle enclosed trailer with a cargo weight limit of 1700 lbs. I am a bit concerned that a car with 1610 weight weight will be pushing it when loaded with fuel, gear tools etc. I am wondering if I need a tandem axle instead. Thoughts?.......Thanks.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Tandem axle trailers track so much better and it is nice to have some margin in tow ratings. Plus, if you get a 20', you can carry two YXZs!

Reactions: roofintrash

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. My Tacoma wont handle a 20ft. I realize the TA tracks better, but would my current trailer work on a temp basis? I have to haul it 325 miles home from a dealer in Alabama.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Your current trailer will certainly handle it to bring it home. Congrats!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I'm not crazy about maxing out the load limit. This is my first SXS and enclosed trailer. I have boat trailers, and utility trailers and have had jet ski trailers in the past. None came close to maxing out.

·
Registered
931 Posts
There is a significant safety factor on those ratings. So you should be just fine.

·
Registered
331 Posts
while you are obviously "overweight" but i would go off the axle load over the trailer load for something that small. your tacoma (if its the v6 anyways) will have no issues towing a tandem enclosed if you source the correct one. should have a tow rating of 6300lbs ~ or so. ive nearly maxed out my old taco with a 6k load but had the tongue set perfectly and she did fine. trailer brakes are a must on any tandem.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm going off axle weight. I will be about 100 lbs under, but that's still a little close for me. If I wasnt 325 miles from home, I wouldnt be quite so concerned. I didnt research the trailer as good as I should have. It was just a good deal on a 7x12 drop down door.

·
Registered
43 Posts
There are a lot of factors built in to load ratings.
Take it easy going home with it, keep your speed reasonable and load the machine so the trailer axle and truck axle share the load.
Tires good? Should be fine for temporary use.
Then find a nice lightweight tandem and your Tacoma will do fine….

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There are a lot of factors built in to load ratings.
Take it easy going home with it, keep your speed reasonable and load the machine so the trailer axle and truck axle share the load.
Tires good? Should be fine for temporary use.
Then find a nice lightweight tandem and your Tacoma will do fine….
Thanks. The trailer is a harder to find 7x12 with plenty of headroom and drop down ramp. I was in a hurry to find one and never thought to check the load rating. Simply a "bonehead" on my part.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I used an 18' utility trailer before and now use a 24' equipment trailer and am looking to add a 16' or so aluminum landscape style trailer. Get an aluminum for the weight savings if you can.

·
Registered
137 Posts
As far as towability…the bigger the better with a trailer. Longer tows better, and is easier to back up. Heavier tows better. Two axles tows better.

Also, remember to keep in mind your tow vehicle when selecting the trailer. Too much weight behind not enough truck is dangerou.

·
Registered
44 Posts
A tacoma can tow a decent amount, but once you try towing with a 150/1500 class truck you won't want to go back. And same goes if things get heavier and you go to 2500/250 size. The weight of the truck just makes it so much more comfortable in mountains etc.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As far as towability…the bigger the better with a trailer. Longer tows better, and is easier to back up. Heavier tows better. Two axles tows better.

Also, remember to keep in mind your tow vehicle when selecting the trailer. Too much weight behind not enough truck is dangerou.
Yeah. I learned the short verses long trailering dynamics when I switched from a jest ski to a speed boat. Never had a tandem axle trailer. All of mine have been single axle.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A tacoma can tow a decent amount, but once you try towing with a 150/1500 class truck you won't want to go back. And same goes if things get heavier and you go to 2500/250 size. The weight of the truck just makes it so much more comfortable in mountains etc.
I love my Tacoma, but there have been drawbacks. Twice I found a bigger boat that I wanted, but the Tacoma wouldnt pull it.

·
Registered
331 Posts
i upgraded from a '15 tacoma to a tundra. has more than enough power to pull everything so far. trailer brake controller was upgraded, ive had 9k behind it and it pulls like a champ and with the controller set up properly it stops fine as well. my tacoma was crying with anything over 5k. ive even towed out my buddies 3500 dually and travel trailer a few times since he gets stuck everywhere.

just sell the tacoma, good market right now and they hold their value. i bought mine for 25k used, drove it for 3 years and put 68k on it and sold it for 2k more than i paid for it. best truck value out there IMO. got my tundra for thousands less because they get shit mpg but thats not why you get a truck anyways lol

1 - 20 of 27 Posts