Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of mileage are you guys getting out of wheel bearings? When I got the unit it had been severely abused so I went through replaced almost everything consumable. Brakes bearings axles universals. All that stuff. Well decided to hit windrock for the week. And coming out of a trail had an awful noise. Really thought I’d blew my front diff but turned out to just be the wheel bearing. And it’s shoot. Jacking it up to replace today and notice the other side has a good deal of play also. These only have about 500 miles on them. One bearings. 2017 stock wheel and tire size. Mostly east coast rocky trails. Is this normal? Are there better wheel bearing options than than oem? I’m sticking moose in it today because that’s all we keep in stock for them.
And pro tip. When your bearings start getting loose don’t procrastinate on changing them. This one chewed up my pad rotor and the caliper bracket pretty bad by the time I was able to baby it back to camp

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the 19+ has bigger hubs and maybe bigger bearings too.
Not sure.
Yea from what I have researched 16 has two on each wheel. Then 17-18 has the one bigger one and then 19-20 is the same as 17 but like you said a bigger beefier bearing.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Definitely not normal. I upgraded one of my 16s to the bigger bearing configuration and have a few thousand miles on it now without issue. Didn't have an issue with the original either. Looks a little milky on the grease and maybe it spent some time soaking which degraded the grease and accelerated bearing wear.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Definitely not normal. I upgraded one of my 16s to the bigger bearing configuration and have a few thousand miles on it now without issue. Didn't have an issue with the original either. Looks a little milky on the grease and maybe it spent some time soaking which degraded the grease and accelerated bearing wear.
Yea I’m hoping the factory set I installed was just dry from the get go or something. Both of my front tires did take a pretty good beating on this Rocky trail a few months back. So bad it bent one of my rims and busted a tire so it may of just broke the seal on them and water dried them out. I was it thoroughly every ride so I’m sure I’d of gotten a ton of water in them. . I just got these new ones installed tonight so we will see how long they last. Even the better of the two sides when I pulled the bearing out was super super dry and crunchy sounding. And the moose bearings just looked like a better quality bearing. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
If you don't get a full torque on the axle nut, ~ 270-300 ft/lb you'll smoke them right quick. A buddy just did a tight enough and the wheels had a 1/2" of play each direction in 50 miles, I was amazed at that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
What kind of mileage are you guys getting out of wheel bearings? When I got the unit it had been severely abused so I went through replaced almost everything consumable. Brakes bearings axles universals. All that stuff. Well decided to hit windrock for the week. And coming out of a trail had an awful noise. Really thought I’d blew my front diff but turned out to just be the wheel bearing. And it’s shoot. Jacking it up to replace today and notice the other side has a good deal of play also. These only have about 500 miles on them. One bearings. 2017 stock wheel and tire size. Mostly east coast rocky trails. Is this normal? Are there better wheel bearing options than than oem? I’m sticking moose in it today because that’s all we keep in stock for them.
And pro tip. When your bearings start getting loose don’t procrastinate on changing them. This one chewed up my pad rotor and the caliper bracket pretty bad by the time I was able to baby it back to camp
View attachment 117193
Wow that sux, my yxz is been very abused before I got it. Going threw everything on it now. Been apart for about two weeks. Bearings are on bench waiting to go in.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm going to buck the trend here and say that's probably normal. I ride east coast too and my larger '19 front bearings were done at 1500 miles.

All Balls Racing Kawasaki Teryx 800 rear wheel bearings are the same as '19 YXZ front. That's what I went to.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you don't get a full torque on the axle nut, ~ 270-300 ft/lb you'll smoke them right quick. A buddy just did a tight enough and the wheels had a 1/2" of play each direction in 50 miles, I was amazed at that.
My wrench only goes to 250. I think it’s 280 what they call for so I get it as tight as I can then take the center cap out of the wheel and stick it back on set it on the ground Have someone hold the brake and did about 1/8-14 more turn. Literally as tight as I could get it so hopefully I’m close to that

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm going to buck the trend here and say that's probably normal. I ride east coast too and my larger '19 front bearings were done at 1500 miles.

All Balls Racing Kawasaki Teryx 800 rear wheel bearings are the same as '19 YXZ front. That's what I went to.
Thanks I went ahead and ordered a full set of all balls for next time. Just sucks because this would be a decent hard job to do out on a trip or somthing. It’s no picnic in the garage lol. I ride some pretty rough trails and I’m not very easy on it so I will just have to keep an eye this time

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow that sux, my yxz is been very abused before I got it. Going threw everything on it now. Been apart for about two weeks. Bearings are on bench waiting to go in.
It’s weird when people spend this much money on stuff like this and just not Maintain it. Mine literally had 3 different size tires in it when I got it so I was worried about diff damage. He claimed he only had it like that to get it out of a trail he broke down in but ya never know. So I just went through the whole machine. I still did alright tho I’m only in it about 10k and that’s with a bunch of upgrades now. Heck I spent 2k with weller lol.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts