Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Bringing this up as my 2016 with 30" tires has bad front bearings. - Question is can I just order the 19 steering knuckle part - B5H-F3501-00-00 and install that using the rest of my 2016 parts (brakes/shaft and hub? Or can you only do the 2017/2018 parts as it looks like they changed the hub in 2019 to the 4/156

My guess is there is a size difference as a 2018 shows this part # 93305-00602-00

and a 2019 shows this part # 93305-00604-00 for the bearing.
You have to use 17-18 hubs unless you want to change a bunch of other parts. There is also a spacer that you need to run the 17-18 hubs that goes on the axle.

Reactions: fortrdb

·
Registered
26 Posts
thanks for that reply. I see the collar for the for the 17-18, I didn't catch that when I was looking at the diagram - 17-18 parts is what I will put on.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Bringing this up as my 2016 with 30" tires has bad front bearings. - Question is can I just order the 19 steering knuckle part - B5H-F3501-00-00 and install that using the rest of my 2016 parts (brakes/shaft and hub? Or can you only do the 2017/2018 parts as it looks like they changed the hub in 2019 to the 4/156

My guess is there is a size difference as a 2018 shows this part # 93305-00602-00

and a 2019 shows this part # 93305-00604-00 for the bearing.
the 2016 actually has a inner and a outer wheel bearing with a spacer between. The 17”s just use one big bearing. I’d look up and see if the actual spindle is a different part number. It wouldn’t suprise me at all ifyou couldn’t just add the 17 bearing to the 16 spindles. I just looked at some old ones I have in the bin and the one big 17 bearing is the same size as the 2 16”s with the spacer. Would be worth looking into. Sorry I don’t have a 16 here to compare the spindle

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Ahh never mind I just read that response about the spendles. Forgot about that spacer. But I wander if the big bearing would fit in the 16 spindles tho?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I wondered that as well, if you could just put the bigger bearing inside the 2016 double bearing spindle, but ended up ordering the whole spindle as a complete unit for a 2017. Seemed the easiest way to go.

My thought process is there is a reason yamaha went to the other bearing for 2017 vs the double bearing design they had on the 2016, so I am going to try it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
IF the OD of the two smaller and one larger bearings from the 2016 and 2017 were the same, you would still have to machine out the cast in permanent spacer on the 2016 hub. For as cheap as the 2017 hub is which includes new bearings and lower ball joint, it just makes sense to spend the money on a new hub

Reactions: fortrdb and Scumbag

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
IF the OD of the two smaller and one larger bearings from the 2016 and 2017 were the same, you would still have to machine out the cast in permanent spacer on the 2016 hub. For as cheap as the 2017 hub is which includes new bearings and lower ball joint, it just makes sense to spend the money on a new hub
I dint realize that spacer was cast into the spindle. Just assumed it was like a dirt bike wheel and a separate part. But yea I agree. Just replace the whole spindle. 👍

·
Registered
197 Posts
I dint realize that spacer was cast into the spindle. Just assumed it was like a dirt bike wheel and a separate part. But yea I agree. Just replace the whole spindle. 👍
It wouldve been nice if it was seperate, ive changed bearings once on the front and had to beat the inner race and balls out and then weld a bead around the outter race to get it out. When these bearings go bad the hub is getting replaced, plus i know ill struggle getting the lower ball joint to let go and will probably ruin it anyway

Reactions: Scumbag

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yea from what I have researched 16 has two on each wheel. Then 17-18 has the one bigger one and then 19-20 is the same as 17 but like you said a bigger beefier bearing.
So just to clarify is the front wheel bearing for my 2017 the same size as the 2019? Mine are bad and wanted to order the All Balls bearings but they say they are for the 2019. Thanks

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
So just to clarify is the front wheel bearing for my 2017 the same size as the 2019? Mine are bad and wanted to order the All Balls bearings but they say they are for the 2019. Thanks
Or just have me send you the new front set of steering knuckles i have 😎

·
Registered
67 Posts
I read in a press release for the 19 that it has bigger front bearings to accommodate for the bigger tires. Brakes are 10mm bigger. The caliper bracket, caliper is also different. Bigger pistons in the 19 caliper and bigger bore on the master cylinder.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I know on my 2016, I replaced the small dual bearings with the bigger/one piece 2017 ones buy purchasing both of the knuckles. I believe the 2019 is bigger yet, but I could not find looking at the parts diagrams or searching the web if it would work to swap the whole knuckle on to a 2016 or if the 2019 and 2017 bearings are "interchangeable". My belief is they are not as they are different part #'s from what I remember. I also think the 2017 on up bearing design should hold 30 to 32" tires, but there is probably a reason why yamaha made them bigger in 2019. Pretty sure you will have to order 2017 bearings and partszilla should have them if you have 2017 knuckles.

If someone had a worn out or used 2019 or 2020 knuckle, I'd be willing to be a guinney pig to try and bolt one on to see what differences there are, if they would work with older models.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Also when you say your 2017 bearings are bad, mind sharing the tire size and miles on it? My front ones on the 2016 where bad at 1000 miles with 30's on it for 600 of those miles.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Also when you say your 2017 bearings are bad, mind sharing the tire size and miles on it? My front ones on the 2016 where bad at 1000 miles with 30's on it for 600 of those miles.
I have around 3250 miles on it. I run 30" tires and most of our riding is Tennessee trails that we run hard and fast on. So mud, water, rocks and climbing. I believe the bearings would have lasted longer but the guy I bought it off of had 10" wide wheels in a 5+5 offset that beat them up. There are other parts that I have had to replace due to that type of offset. It puts a lot more stress on the bearings and bushings.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I have around 3250 miles on it. I run 30" tires and most of our riding is Tennessee trails that we run hard and fast on. So mud, water, rocks and climbing. I believe the bearings would have lasted longer but the guy I bought it off of had 10" wide wheels in a 5+5 offset that beat them up. There are other parts that I have had to replace due to that type of offset. It puts a lot more stress on the bearings and bushings.
I’m Tennessee here also. I just recently after this post went with 30” tires and man o man was that the best freaking thing I bought for this turd so far. Love em. Weird tires cost more than wheels these days tho.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I’m Tennessee here also. I just recently after this post went with 30” tires and man o man was that the best freaking thing I bought for this turd so far. Love em. Weird tires cost more than wheels these days tho.
Are you at or around Royal Blue this weekend? We are here and riding if you want to join us!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Are you at or around Royal Blue this weekend? We are here and riding if you want to join us!
No we are at Saint Paul this weekend. But thank you for the invite.
Have you ever heard of I-81 in Greenville? I run it we have 400 acres with a huge side by side loop I laid out out front if your ever that way. We have camping also.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts