Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at getting a new SxS, and there are a lot more options out there, then there was a few years ago, when I bought my RZR. For the most part, I've enjoyed my RZR, and the parts and accessories are everywhere, but I can't say that I've been happy with the overall build quality. Giving them some credit, I think Polaris has made good improvements since then.

I've been looking at the RZR XP1K, Kawasaki Teryx, Wildcat XX, and Can Am Maverick. Keep in mind, I'm not interested in spending more than $20k or so. I ride more hard pack desert, then dunes. I favor durability and good design over power. i almost bought the YXZ before getting the RZR, but i couldn't decide if I wanted to shift manually and eventually went with the RZR. Buying the RZR wasn't a mistake, more of an experience, which is why I'm looking at the other brands now.

Your comments and suggestions are welcome and I'd appreciate them.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Try and get a test ride in a Yamaha if you can . I rented a rzr 1000 for two days in Utah and on the third day I rented a yellow yxz . I knew I want a yxz by the time I shifted into third gear . It’s the manual trans that did it for me . Test drive them all if you can

·
Supporting Vendor
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try and get a test ride in a Yamaha if you can . I rented a rzr 1000 for two days in Utah and on the third day I rented a yellow yxz . I knew I want a yxz by the time I shifted into third gear . It’s the manual trans that did it for me . Test drive them all if you can
Thanks for the thoughts... I've been a passenger in a YXZ, but never driven one. It seemed okay, except that at the time, I wasn't interested in owning a manual shift vehicle. If I get the opportunity to drive one i'll let you know what I think.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I saw that you posted this same question on the RZR forum. Exactly what are you hoping for by asking this on different forums? I will admit on the RZR forum you did git a very unbiased opinion. Most non YXZ people will rate the YXZ low as they have little or experience with one and Yamaha didn't do themselves any favors by coming out with a manual with high gears and no low range. I will post in favor of the YXZ that it is a true drivers machine, and if you are into driving that requires a higher skill level you should make arrangements to drive one before deciding, if that is what your true intent is with this thread.

·
Supporting Vendor
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I saw that you posted this same question on the RZR forum. Exactly what are you hoping for by asking this on different forums? I will admit on the RZR forum you did git a very unbiased opinion. Most non YXZ people will rate the YXZ low as they have little or experience with one and Yamaha didn't do themselves any favors by coming out with a manual with high gears and no low range. I will post in favor of the YXZ that it is a true drivers machine, and if you are into driving that requires a higher skill level you should make arrangements to drive one before deciding, if that is what your true intent is with this thread.
I wanna hear what UTV owners‘ opinions are based on their experiences. Once you invest in a machine, like it or not you’re stuck with it. So before I spend my hard earned money, I’m looking for info. I’ve owned a RZR, and it was okay, but it lacked quality.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I love my 2016 yxz. For me it was the transmission/drivetrain and the shifting experience that really appealed to me. I don’t like the thought of having a cvt/belt driven car that I have to maintain and constantly be worrying about belt temps etc. The yxz you can hammer down all day and not worry about anything. Every time I ride with other belt driven cars they want to stop all the time and let there belts cool down. Is it the perfect machine? No, but it does everything I want and I can rely on it every time I’m blasting through the desert. The fun factor is off the charts for me also. If you have driving skills and know how to operate the clutch, throttle, shifter and brake I’d get a manual. The SS paddle shift is a lot of fun too and has it’s pros and cons. My father in law just got a 2019 SS and he loves it but I like my manual because I like having full control over the car. The other pro to getting a yxz is the lower price. My father in law got a 2019 SS SE in So Cal for $15,000 plus tax and license. So for the money it is totally worth it. Good luck on your decision but I personally would not consider belt driven cars so that means only the Talon and YXZ would be on my list.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I wanna hear what UTV owners‘ opinions are based on their experiences. Once you invest in a machine, like it or not you’re stuck with it. So before I spend my hard earned money, I’m looking for info. I’ve owned a RZR, and it was okay, but it lacked quality.
Ok if you are really looking for opinions hears more of mine, but first what is you intended use for a SXS?
As far as my take, the build quality of the YXZ is way above the RZR and Can am in that order. I don't know enough about the Honda or Kawasaki to speak to either of them, but everything Honda builds is awesome and the Kawasaki uses a belt and I will never own a belt car. Their have been roomers of Can am going to a real tranny. If they did I would be in as their suspension is awesome and their build quality is good enough.
My personal experience has been vey positive with my 2016 YXZ. I dune and desert and have never had an issue of any kind with the Yamaha. I liked my 2016 YXZ so much that I just bought a 2019 SS SE. Yamaha made enough improvements over the first gen that it is very noticeable and much improved car. I plain on doing some trail riding in the future so I bought a paddle shift car as they are better suited for the trails. One other thing I have always owned Hondas in the past because of their quality and reliability. The 2016 was my first Yamaha and I bought a second one.
Mark

·
Registered
592 Posts
I also have two YXZs, both 2016 manuals, and totally sold on Yamaha reliability, toughness and looks. The RZRs just leave me cold on all levels. Can Am is interesting, but still a CVT. The only reason I am into this sport is the configuration of the manual sequential trans (prefer three pedal myself), triple cylinder, high revving, high reliability and affordable price that the Yamaha offers. I have introduced many newbies to the sport and they all leave wildly impressed with the fun and capability the YXZ offers. It is a machine that demands participation and offers a learning experience. You will not be good at driving it initially, but learning to drive it is tremendously engaging and fun, if that's the experience you are looking to find. If you want to putt around, then buy one of the other machines.

·
Supporting Vendor
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also have two YXZs, both 2016 manuals, and totally sold on Yamaha reliability, toughness and looks. The RZRs just leave me cold on all levels. Can Am is interesting, but still a CVT. The only reason I am into this sport is the configuration of the manual sequential trans (prefer three pedal myself), triple cylinder, high revving, high reliability and affordable price that the Yamaha offers. I have introduced many newbies to the sport and they all leave wildly impressed with the fun and capability the YXZ offers. It is a machine that demands participation and offers a learning experience. You will not be good at driving it initially, but learning to drive it is tremendously engaging and fun, if that's the experience you are looking to find. If you want to putt around, then buy one of the other machines.
I've read and watched a lot of reviews on the various machines, and they've been somewhat helpful. Given that you're in to the sequential gearbox rides, would you also consider the Honda Talon? I've owned Yamaha dirt bikes and quads, always liked them and thought good of their quality. The one thing I haven't done yet, is browse the various forums for common issues with the various makes, apart from the RZR, but that's because of my personal experience with them.

·
Registered
592 Posts
The Talon would be my second choice of the offerings out there. I have not driven one though. That's one thing I know - you have to drive them for yourself. Everything else is opinion and can be misleading. If you get to the Tucson area, let me know... you can check it out for yourself.

·
Supporting Vendor
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looking at the process for myself and others, it should probably begin by getting to know the different makes and models available. Then research reviews and comparisons. And then visit the forums to look for the good and bad in each unit and compare that to your individual needs. Once you've narrowed the filed down, getting the chance to drive them is the best thing to do, to make sure it's what I / you want. This thread has helped me organize the process. Thank you to all that participated.

·
Supporting Vendor
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
For those of you that participated by posting comments, I'd like to thank you by offering you a FREE Tribal X whip and animator of your choice. Send me a PM with the following information by 3/5/2020

1. Name, Address, Phone Number and eMail Address
2. Length of Whip
3. Choice of Animator (RF - Remote Control or Mystique 2 - App Control)

If you're unfamiliar with the Tribal X product, feel free to visit our website to learn more about them. Tribal X Multi Color LED Whips

1 - 13 of 13 Posts