Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at doing some modifications to the OEM cage and am curious if there are many people that have done this VS getting an aftermarket cage. IMO the first thing that needs to be done is additional support in the front then get rid of the big hump in the cage. however i am 6'2 and my son is 6'6 so we are limited on how much it can be lowered. I would like to see what others may have done to modify the cage./ If you have some photos to post it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Id like additional support up front as well, the hump is Ok for me. I'm not too interested in an aftermarket cage as the stock cage is very well built minus the need for a vertical bar in front IMO.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Id like additional support up front as well, the hump is Ok for me. I'm not too interested in an aftermarket cage as the stock cage is very well built minus the need for a vertical bar in front IMO.
There is a fabricator near Reedley that has done some cage modifications for a couple friends. He does great work I would just like to get some ideas before we start cutting up this cage.

·
Registered
286 Posts
the differance between a stock cage and a aftermarket cage is the thickness of the tube the stock cage on most units are only 16 ga or .0625 thousands or 1 /16 of an inch their not strong at all they fold up like a house of cards , that is why we change to aftermarket cages they are .125 wall twice as thick tube or 1/8" that way when somthing happens it doesnt fold up on you and make getting you out a problem , its all about safety and factory cages are built to minimum standards my life is worth more ! look at corry weller first thing she changed was the cage she races and their are standards , and whats your life worth

·
Registered
582 Posts
the differance between a stock cage and a aftermarket cage is the thickness of the tube the stock cage on most units are only 16 ga or .0625 thousands or 1 /16 of an inch their not strong at all they fold up like a house of cards , that is why we change to aftermarket cages they are .0125 wall twice as thick tube or 1/8" that way when somthing happens it doesnt fold up on you and make getting you out a problem , its all about safety and factory cages are built to minimum standards my life is worth more ! look at corry weller first thing she changed was the cage she races and their are standards , and whats your life worth
I hear you but there is a lot more than just thickness to structure safety. Ive seen a few rollovers so far on the YXZ and all faired very well. I want a vertical post to stop things from entering the cage.

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
the differance between a stock cage and a aftermarket cage is the thickness of the tube the stock cage on most units are only 16 ga or .0625 thousands or 1 /16 of an inch their not strong at all they fold up like a house of cards , that is why we change to aftermarket cages they are .0125 wall twice as thick tube or 1/8" that way when somthing happens it doesnt fold up on you and make getting you out a problem , its all about safety and factory cages are built to minimum standards my life is worth more ! look at corry weller first thing she changed was the cage she races and their are standards , and whats your life worth
Common core graduate? :p

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think you need to move your decimal to the right one place.

Seems to me most regs for lighter weight vehicles call for a .120 DOM main hoop and at least .090 everywhere else.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts