Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I just ordered all my necessary items for a rear radiator relocation. Im curious if anybody can comment how to add a rocker switch to turn the fan on or leave the switch off to keep it at the stock turn on temp? I'm not too keen on $100 for the plug and play kit.

I was told that tapping into the red/yellow wire in the center consol and adding a switched ground will acheive this, just want to confirm that this is true?
Thanks! Pic for attn.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
I believe that is correct. You can confirm it with a test light. There are 4 wires to the relay. The two thick ones go to the fan motor. The two thin ones turn the relay on and off. If you clip the test light to ground and turn the key on, one of the thin wires will cause it to light up. Check it with the relay removed. The other wire is your ground from the ECM. You may want to install a diode to prevent the ground from the switch reaching the ECM. Back feeding a computer signal can sometimes cause problems. Get a diode that can handle about 1 amp. Connect the switch and the relay to the end with the band on it. Connect the ECM to the other side. That will keep the switch ground from reaching the ECM but allow the ground from the ECM to reach the relay. I run a turbo on mine and I just grounded the wire so the fan comes on with the key.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe that is correct. You can confirm it with a test light. There are 4 wires to the relay. The two thick ones go to the fan motor. The two thin ones turn the relay on and off. If you clip the test light to ground and turn the key on, one of the thin wires will cause it to light up. Check it with the relay removed. The other wire is your ground from the ECM. You may want to install a diode to prevent the ground from the switch reaching the ECM. Back feeding a computer signal can sometimes cause problems. Get a diode that can handle about 1 amp. Connect the switch and the relay to the end with the band on it. Connect the ECM to the other side. That will keep the switch ground from reaching the ECM but allow the ground from the ECM to reach the relay. I run a turbo on mine and I just grounded the wire so the fan comes on with the key.
Appreciate the input! I'm not familiar with diodes and their purpose but I will certainly do that as well. Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts

I Wish I found this thread earlier.... In my hast, I do believe I sent power to the ground. -UGH- I know.
Fan works if I ground the relay but it will not work 'Automatically' at 200* when it used to work just fine.
So to restate this I have fried up something??? Hopefully just a relay (on order)

Fan won't work off ECM but will work just fine if grounded at Yellow/Red in the relay. I assume that means Power flow through Fuse is good?
When I disconnect the thermostat from Passenger side motor/ at the sensor. Blue light on dash comes on. I assume feed wires to the sensor are good (well one of them?)

Got any ideas or did I screw up my ECM. And to prevent anyone from jumping on me.... I have no clue what I am doing ~Admittedly. :confused::unsure:

TIA if anyone can help me out.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whats up guys. Figured I oughtta come back and post results , no need for a fan switch with a cherokee rad! If I keep my speed up temps don't go over 175.. If im in tight stuff my tune turns on the fan at 195 and its back to 185 in no time.. I love it!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Only 2 fans are wired to the stock relay as well, the third I still need to put a switch on but honestly its not even needed. If you can find a cherokee rad with 2 fans it would be ideal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts