Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got this thing a couple of days ago and it needed a battery. Jumped it off when I bought it it ran, put a new battery in it fired right up let it idle for a few minutes then it died. Will not start just turn over, it does have spark but the fuel pump isn’t turning on. Swapped relays and ran a jumper wire right to the pump and it functions but won’t when you turn the key it’s a 2016

·
Registered
378 Posts
Check to see if you have a constant 12v at the fuel pump relay and then 12v on the exciter wire at the relay when you turn on the key. If they are both good check the ground at the relay. Probably a faulty key switch would be my guess.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Find main power in the fuel relay and jump it through to the other large wire of the four and be sure that wiring is firing the pump. Can you hear/feel that relay kick in when key is on. One or the other can't really be present.

If jumpering at the relay powers then pump then relay can't be kicking in if you tried several relays also.

As mentioned check for 12 volt at relay on the coil side but that is likely present but the ground which is the one the ECU uses to control it with is most likely where the problem lies.

I recon your next move may be to find the pinouts on ECU connector and check you have continuity in the wire that goes to the relay negative on the coil.

Ignition switch wouldn't make spark but not fuel.

The ECU controls the fuel pump. I forgot what sensor and parameters it monitors to control the pump. Rollover switch may be worth a look at.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Found the problem! It was the 15a fuse on the starter relay powers the fuel system. Replaced it fired right ran for maybe 2 minutes and blew the fuse replaced it blew another. Put a 25a fuse in it and it was running fine for about 1 hr. Once it got warm it was having problems revving it would die and sputter if you gave it throttle.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I think sandman is correct. Only thing on that circuit to draw more than it should. A short would not be fixed by bumping 10 amps. Sounds like the pump.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts