Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new the sport, I have been a long time motorcycle rider so shifting the machine was what I liked the most. I had a snowmobile and liked the off road experience but the grab the gas and go made me feel like I was driving a car with a CVT which they pretty much copied. Also the fact that you need snow and its cold I decided to try this.

I have a 2020 XTR SS that now has about 300 miles and 35 hrs. I did the 20 hour service at 19.5 hours replacing all the fluids. I have a maintenance background and I'm a certified FAA aircraft mechanic so I'm very familiar on inspecting oil for metal contamination. The first 20 hours I was riding on mostly hard packed trails that are close in southern Wisconsin and there wasn't much need to use 4WD.

Later I was able to go on trails until they closed in middle and northern WI. I found that trails I was on are a much softer surface. This is because they are sandy or muddy and sometime a mixture of both. Because of this I found that I needed to use 4wd.

When I'm running in 4wd I have notice that when I'm slowing down and under engine breaking I'm hearing a buzzing or humming noise coming from the front that changed pitch as the rpm's drop.

I was also a helicopter pilot for 25 years and I have listened to drive train noises for quiet some time so I feel that it must be some kind of gear noise.

I did just install a Super ATV windshield and it might be making it more noticeable now.

I have checked the fluid in the front diff and it is at the proper level. I may just change it to see what I might find.

I guess what I'm asking is this just a normal sound that I'm hearing or is there something else going on that I'm missing?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I wouldn’t worry about it. All these sxs make noise but yxz is the quietest I think but still might make some noises after some miles. If everything is tight and right drive it like you stole it and don’t worry about it. Lol imo

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I have not noticed any noise in my 2019 SS SE, but I am only sensitive to noises that are not normal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts