Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

x2 or rc2

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Betts 
#1 ·
I have been looking for a deal on left over 2019 units and have recently found a few in my area.
Is it worth buying the LE unit with the X2 suspenders over the LE unit with the RC2 setup? the only difference I can see is the shocks and the LE has the roof. I have every intention of buy or building a cage so the roof is of no value to me.

all of my ridding will be in Ontario Canada and 99% woods riding. there are always extended side road runs between trails, but then its back to ruts and rocks.

#2 ·
I have the x2, but I can’t say if they are better than the rc2. Many on here and the web have said the x2 is much better shock. I have adjusted mine to soft setting from stock and my friend has the rc2 but has not adjusted any settings from stock. My Adjusted x2 feel great in trails and his rc2 are good.
couple other add ones are the interior lights and fronts light pods

#3 ·
I recently got a slightly used (230 miles) 2019 LE with X2s, then someone in offroad area wanted me to check out their 19 SE w/o X2s (wanted me to hear SS shift clunk and tranny whine which was exactly same as mine), night/day difference, X2, not yet adjusted properly, is worlds better, n t even close, hope this helps

#5 ·
I meant to mention that I did not check out what settings the other machine had, they might have been messed up. The big problem is that the front end on his dove significantly on braking and hard cornering and the whole machine felt tippy/loose compared to mine. I did not get to get it on the rough trails with sharp embedded rocks that I'd like to get mine to work better on. I'm currently loosening up high speed compression/rebound while keeping low speed C/R tighter/stiffer to handle the g-outs, can't yet figure out the sharp v-outs that we get here at high speed. Big v-outs at speed unsettle the rear of the car, it doesn't so much buck hard as it gets loose and skatey after the v-out and rear end slides one direction or another, kinda dangerous when there's a 300ft drop off 5 ft away ;-0. All this to say that his machine might n ot have been tuned at all or seriously mis-tuned.

#7 ·
I meant to mention that I did not check out what settings the other machine had, they might have been messed up. The big problem is that the front end on his dove significantly on braking and hard cornering and the whole machine felt tippy/loose compared to mine. I did not get to get it on the rough trails with sharp embedded rocks that I'd like to get mine to work better on. I'm currently loosening up high speed compression/rebound while keeping low speed C/R tighter/stiffer to handle the g-outs, can't yet figure out the sharp v-outs that we get here at high speed. Big v-outs at speed unsettle the rear of the car, it doesn't so much buck hard as it gets loose and skatey after the v-out and rear end slides one direction or another, kinda dangerous when there's a 300ft drop off 5 ft away ;-0. All this to say that his machine might n ot have been tuned at all or seriously mis-tuned.
Your settings are backwards. Less low speed compression to stay soft in the rocks and more high speed compression for the g outs. Find a section that you can repeat over and over and make changes to one setting and then repeat. That way you will know what each setting and change will do to the car.

#9 ·
well I gave up on looking for a 19' with the fox x2's. I moved on to looking for the bronze ss/le (xtr for USA) and it turns out they arent getting any more up here in Canada, and the few that are left on showroom floors, dealers will not discount them at all.
so I in the end I have a blue ss/se on its way, and I couldnt be more excited. in the end I only wanted the bronze unit for the winch and tires. the roof is only a nice to have until have the funds for a cage, likely wont get to this until the season is over, sometime after deer season.

first up on my list is
winch/bumper
harnesses
heavy hitter flywheel
and skid plates.

my wife is less than impressed.

#10 ·
The shock choice depends on what type of riding you are planning on doing. They both have their place. If you are going to do high speed I would go with the RC2's and if you are going to do slower more technical I would go with the X2's. The X2's are not a true 2.5" shock they have a 2" piston. Some say at high speed the X2's will fade quicker than the RC2's and that the RC2s have better high speed dampening because of the larger piston and volume of oil. Some also say that the X2's will soak up the small chop better than the RC2's on slower technical stuff. I don't think either shock is a bad choice especially on 2019+ cars as they re-sprung and re-valved them both in 2019. I would pony up for the SE duel rate springs which ever you choose.

Reactions: SmokEmBoe
#11 ·
The only options up here are the SE or LE(xtr). And for 2020 they all have the same shocks.
So I went with the 2020 SE.
I'm in Ontario Canada so it's all woods riding here. I currently don't have any interest in being on a track either...yet. lots of our trails are linked by old rail lines and fire roads, and they are in pretty good shape most of the time.
Should have the unit next week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.