Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can we all agree that this thing is called a YXZ? You guys are really messing with my dyslexia calling it XYZ. Collectively, I believe I have spent over an hour scrolling to the top of the forum to confirm what the hell it really is. ;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yamaha "YXZ1000R" is the name.

I cannot tell you how many times I have messed it up. I asked the boys at Yamaha what the deal was and they responded as such. In Yamaha, they always use alpha-numeric designations when they are naming a top of the range race machine. They feel as though "pet names" soften the edge of the machine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yamaha "YXZ1000R" is the name.

I cannot tell you how many times I have messed it up. I asked the boys at Yamaha what the deal was and they responded as such. In Yamaha, they always use alpha-numeric designations when they are naming a top of the range race machine. They feel as though "pet names" soften the edge of the machine.
Ok, so what about Banshee and Raptor??? Even if they wanted to use an alpha-numeric name, did they have to take 3 consecutive letters of the alphabet and rearrange them. That is what is making this name so difficult! Yamaha went outside the box when they built this machine, couldn't they go outside the box when they named it?

In my opinion, the name is the worst thing about the entire machine. That would be "my biggest disappointment since the release". I guess I should have posted it in that thread. lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok, so what about Banshee and Raptor??? Even if they wanted to use an alpha-numeric name, did they have to take 3 consecutive letters of the alphabet and rearrange them. That is what is making this name so difficult! Yamaha went outside the box when they built this machine, couldn't they go outside the box when they named it?

In my opinion, the name is the worst thing about the entire machine. That would be "my biggest disappointment since the release". I guess I should have posted it in that thread. lol
I think I can explain one of those.

The Raptor is not/ was not the high end race model. The YFZ is. The Raptor is the big bore sport model to me. Therefore no letter designation.

I can't explain the Banshee. Other than the fact that they didn't use letter designations for any of their ATVs then. Just a guess.

Buck

·
Registered
231 Posts
just have a graphics company put Banshee on the door if you like it. No one will see it when you whizz by anyway!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think I can explain one of those.

The Raptor is not/ was not the high end race model. The YFZ is. The Raptor is the big bore sport model to me. Therefore no letter designation.

I can't explain the Banshee. Other than the fact that they didn't use letter designations for any of their ATVs then. Just a guess.

Buck
all Yamaha models have a y... designation.
raptors are yfm700s for example

·
Registered
5 Posts
all Yamaha models have a y... designation.
raptors are yfm700s for example
I realize that. But they don't all use the letter designation in their actual name. In other words the Raptor isn't called a Yfm700s when it's being referred to. Same goes for the Grizzly, Big Bear, Wolverine, and so on.

I used to be the parts guy at my local dealer for two years in the early 90s.

Buck

·
Registered
160 Posts
When I entered my screen name my auto correct changed it and I din't catch it.
I liked the subtle difference so I left it:)

·
Registered
831 Posts
YXZ doesn't lend itself to a cool phonetic play on the the letters such as RZR = Razor.

The only thing I can come up with is WYSIWYG, (WizzyWig).

Which means I'm a Word Perfect tech-geek from the 1980s.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I agree that they should have used a catchy name, as well, but "Banshee" needs to be reserved for the future 1000cc 2-stroke turbo model.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I agree that they should have used a catchy name, as well, but "Banshee" needs to be reserved for the future 1000cc 2-stroke turbo model.
"Banshee" is a past name. Yamaha done used it up on their bad ass dual carb two stroke 350 quad from years ago. Yamaha Banshee will always scream quad to me. Strike that name off the list for a side x side imo

1 - 20 of 36 Posts