Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
After a few short rides the MPG is showing a little over 20 mpg and only goes up and down a little. You cannot reset mpg. There is no info on what "average mpg" means. Since startup? Since install? Since re-fuel? Kink of worthless IMHO.

The Adventure Pro is pretty cool. However, one downfall that I didn't realize is that I cannot install Garmin formatted maps on it. I have Montana Landowner maps on my Garmin Oregon. They are a must where I am located so you don't trespass on people's property. They also show state land, BLM and national forest.

These maps are not locked so I am hopeful I can find a way to convert them to Magellan format but I'm not holding my breath.

As far as install goes I didn't drill any holes. There was a big enough gap in the dash for the wire going to the GPS plug and I saw no need for a USB port in the glovebox. I removed the Cigarette plug and replaced it with the USB plug. I had to do a tiny bit of trimming with a razor blade to make the hole slightly bigger. I zip-tied the cigarette plug under under the hood because I didn't want the plug exposed and I can probably power my compressor with it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I ordered the Magellan TRX7 CS (witch is the basic Yamaha unit, for $499 at The GPS Store). I also have an order placed for the wiring harness to fit my 16 SE. The Magellan comes tomorrow and I don't know about the harness. But I'll let you all know if it will communicate with all options.
If you mean communicate with the car for water temp, what gear your in, rpm and all that it won't do any of that. That is all in the Yamaha Adventure Pro main app and the mount and wiring that connect it to the cars computer so it can do all that.

A TRX7 CS won't have the connectivity function or any way to add those capabilities.

Only paid $415 for brand new Yamaha Adventure Pro complete with mount, wiring, everything. That is dealer cost or less but a lot of dealers sitting on them they can't sell at list price and they come up cheap every now and again.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Can you download apps on the adventure pro? Id like to use the geocaching app, so I was leaning towards an IPad, but all of the car integration looks pretty cool.
Some sort of touch screen GPS device is next on my list.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Can you download apps on the adventure pro? Id like to use the geocaching app, so I was leaning towards an IPad, but all of the car integration looks pretty cool.
Some sort of touch screen GPS device is next on my list.
Not easily. I'm just figuring this out. Google play is not installed and I installed it using the APK file and it doesn't allow me to sign in. I also installed Chrome and Google Maps via the APK files and I cannot sign into Google. Must be a lack of licensing as the tablet won't let you sign into Google period.

If I could just sign into Google I could download the Google Maps offroad maps and then have turn by turn navigation.

Pretty disappointed with the Adventure Pro thus far. Maybe for you Colorado and UT guys this thing is great. But in my area of Montana/Wyoming the trails are sparse.

If I had known it couldn't be used as an Android tablet I wouldn't have bought it.

Somebody figure out how to hack it so I can sign into Google please!

·
Registered
216 Posts
You can download the Amazon app store and get stuff. I prefer the Brave web browser and it's there. Overdrive is there to download books. Also downloaded Spotify and downloaded my music to the Adventure Pro. The internal speaker is worthless, but it can be connected via Bluetooth to an audio system. I also tried playing a game or two on it like pinball.

I've also tried to get the Google play store to work with no success.

Reactions: dans2017ssse

·
Registered
61 Posts
You can download the Amazon app store and get stuff. I prefer the Brave web browser and it's there. Overdrive is there to download books. Also downloaded Spotify and downloaded my music to the Adventure Pro. The internal speaker is worthless, but it can be connected via Bluetooth to an audio system. I also tried playing a game or two on it like pinball.

I've also tried to get the Google play store to work with no success.
Thanks Relhok. I'll try the Amazon app store. I just figured out that it does do street turn by turn navigation. Does that work well? If so, I can live without the Google maps.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Tried a couple addresses in different states for turn by turn. Seems to work well. Also tried Spotify and it works as it should. There has a be a fairly simple way to hack the OS to allow Google Services.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I recommend creating a second user to mess around with Google APKs so you don't cripple the default user. I was getting a not responding pop up from them every second that made it very difficult to operate enough to just remove it.

I found a link that said you need to install 4 Google APKs in a certain order. I even found the ones for Android 6.0.1 but never got it to work.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Since it didn't work for me, start here:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well i spend way to much time today trying to get Google Play services to work on my Adventure Pro. I followed the procedure that people use to get it working on an Amazon Fire tablet. I give up. Surely there is an Android guru on here that can get it working.

·
Registered
63 Posts
That part was a real bummer. Figured it was a Android so certainly it will let you get apps in the play store. Nope.
I wish someone would post a easy way to make that happen. There are lots of apps it would be nice to be able to get.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Apps work, just not via Google play. Perhaps you could get the .APK for apps you want directly from the developer and install them.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Apps work, just not via Google play. Perhaps you could get the .APK for apps you want directly from the developer and install them.
Problem is logging in. Google maps works installing via APK but you can’t download offline maps without logging in. Need Google Play & Services to login.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Sounds like a pain. Especially for a guy like me who has zero experience with androids. I’m thinking iPad is my best bet.

·
Registered
264 Posts
3rd time out with the new Yamaha Adventure Pro and the entire cradle split into two pieces. The front separated from the back where it is put together. It has about 8 tiny screws that come from the front and the back and thread into tiny little brass inserts. Well all but two at the bottom either ripped through the back or ripped the brass inserts and plastic out. Completely ruined. It has two hole extra where you can put tiny 3mm bolts from the back and thread into the tablet. I did not bolt those in because then you can't remove the tablet from the cradle. What good is quick release cradle if you have bolted the tablet to the cradle. What happens when you go to pressure clean the car or you get caught in some rain or leave it in a parking lot or other public space where it can easily be stolen.
Great now a $700 tablet is not removable from the car.

Magellan sent me a new cradle to replace the broken one and said it has to be bolted to the cradle. They were awesome with taking care of it I will give them that much. One single email and a new one was on the way. Very pleasant experience dealing with that even though it doesn't fix the problem only gets me back where I started.
It isn't going to stop it from happening at all I guarantee that. Those screws that bolt the tablet in thread into more of those tiny little stupid brass inserts that have almost zero surface area in the back of the tablet. Now it is just going to do the same because two more tiny screws into tiny brass inserts isn't making it even a iota stronger only that when it does it next time the tablet will be busted up too. That and then you can't release it and take it out of the cradle. I feel pretty let down about the whole thing now. All the work installing it and what it cost all a total waste of time now. I put it back together with new cradle tonight but this is a real joke. Now it is bolted to the cradle and going to destroy the tablet next. Oh well then they are gonna need to replace everything tablet and all. I just know this isn't going to work out very well.

·
Registered
113 Posts
3rd time out with the new Yamaha Adventure Pro and the entire cradle split into two pieces. The front separated from the back where it is put together. It has about 8 tiny screws that come from the front and the back and thread into tiny little brass inserts. Well all but two at the bottom either ripped through the back or ripped the brass inserts and plastic out. Completely ruined. It has two hole extra where you can put tiny 3mm bolts from the back and thread into the tablet. I did not bolt those in because then you can't remove the tablet from the cradle. What good is quick release cradle if you have bolted the tablet to the cradle. What happens when you go to pressure clean the car or you get caught in some rain or leave it in a parking lot or other public space where it can easily be stolen.
Great now a $700 tablet is not removable from the car.

Magellan sent me a new cradle to replace the broken one and said it has to be bolted to the cradle. They were awesome with taking care of it I will give them that much. One single email and a new one was on the way. Very pleasant experience dealing with that even though it doesn't fix the problem only gets me back where I started.
It isn't going to stop it from happening at all I guarantee that. Those screws that bolt the tablet in thread into more of those tiny little stupid brass inserts that have almost zero surface area in the back of the tablet. Now it is just going to do the same because two more tiny screws into tiny brass inserts isn't making it even a iota stronger only that when it does it next time the tablet will be busted up too. That and then you can't release it and take it out of the cradle. I feel pretty let down about the whole thing now. All the work installing it and what it cost all a total waste of time now. I put it back together with new cradle tonight but this is a real joke. Now it is bolted to the cradle and going to destroy the tablet next. Oh well then they are gonna need to replace everything tablet and all. I just know this isn't going to work out very well.
I bought the Magellan TRX7 as I didn't find the information provided in the Adventure Pro for a 2017 to be much that I didn't already have. I had similar problems - the mount broke in the ways you mention in the first week. I got a replacement but still felt it was pretty weak. It also locked up on me 3 times when moving between screens, and it seemed slow so I sent it back for a refund. I bought a Lowrance HDS7 and have made my own satellite images with SASPlanet. The Lowrance is rock solid with the PCI racing mount, the screen is bright and clear and the processor is fast.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts