Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

Yamaha OEM spare tire carrier installation

6919 Views 22 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  falco
Craps, Man, Does Yamaha always over engineer there accessories?? Thought this was a simple bolt on. WOW was I mistaken. Anyone done one with cheating tips over the instructions?? or do I really :eek-new:need to remove bed and rear fenders to install? This thing weighs 60lbs. Now I need a turbo to move the additional weight!! ha ha
Reactions: 1
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
You don't have to remove the bed or fenders. Just take some of the bed bolts out so you can lift that part that needs to be cut away from the frame. Pretty easy install if you do it that way.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
You don't have to remove the bed or fenders. Just take some of the bed bolts out so you can lift that part that needs to be cut away from the frame. Pretty easy install if you do it that way.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Agree, I didn't have to remove the bed, just a few bolts to gain access to the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Super! I'll get er done tomorrow. Thanks much to all
Craps, Man, Does Yamaha always over engineer there accessories?? Thought this was a simple bolt on. WOW was I mistaken. Anyone done one with cheating tips over the instructions?? or do I really :eek-new:need to remove bed and rear fenders to install? This thing weighs 60lbs. Now I need a turbo to move the additional weight!! ha ha
Your right on over built. I would pay double for an all aluminum one similar to the factory design. Tire and carrier sure screws with the rear spring set up.
Dont cut the plastic as much as the directions state . You don't have to remove that much.
This thing weighs 60lbs. Now I need a turbo to move the additional weight!! ha ha
Exactly why I will not have a rack and a spare tire for the type of riding I do. Rather take my chances with 8 ply tires, a small compressor, and a plug kit!
I hear that. I'm thinking it may be a mistake. I really rely on my rear view mirror. I better adjust the rear springs a bit tighter as I have them released on tension per the forum. May be for sale if its a monster!!
I guess it depends on the riding you do but for me it wasn't that big of a difference and if you are 6ft tall or over you can see over it ok .
Keep your spare as small as possible (ie: a stock front tire)....I look at this way..it's to get me back to camp, not finish the Baja 1000 in record time, so matching my other tires' size isn't necessary.

The view is not bad...you'll only notice it when you're on flat ground and want to look directly behind you within 50 feet or so...I have side mirrors that supplement for that.

If all you do is "dune" with a group of people, or another machine at least, a spare tire isn't necessarily a "must."

Several years ago, though, I got a flat in the woods & I was in the middle of no where . The hole was way too big for a plug, I had no spare and I was by myself (single machine). I would have dealt with years of extra weight, blocked vision and everything else to have had a spare with me. Never again. I love my factory tire carrier...plus, it gave me a perfect spot to mount a hi-lift jack.
Ok. Got in on the machine. What a piece of iron! I adjusted the rear shocks to the comfort settings on everything and it actually rides better now with some tail weight. I've got plenty of power and like Sixgun said, I can see out the rear view mirror enough to not feel blind and my Seismik side mirrors are great. Bought a new front spare from a non-beadlock forum member so not as heavy as a beadlock. I think it's going to be fine and it feels good to have a spare when alone or way out in the boondocks!
Thanks again for the help. Wasn't a bad job after all when I did it like you guys said.
You will notice it can get hard to open, a friend had some kind of teflon cream and after rubbing it on and open and closing a few times it is much easier to open and has stayed that way even after a few hundred miles. I liked mine so much I had Fabwerx deduct the rear bumper from their cage so I could leave the factory tire rack on. I also jus installed the factory rear grab bar below the tire rack. Easy 15 minute job, no cutting and looks good with bumper and very little extra weight.
Yes, I have the factory bumper-grab bar as well. Nice units. I tie off to it when trailering
And when it is hard to open, just position the latch loop against carrier after unlatched and push up on latch lever to leverage and opens real easy every time.
So is mine but if you grab hold of the tire and pull it opens pretty easy.
So is mine but if you grab hold of the tire and pull it opens pretty easy.
Same here, if I use or grab the wing nut or the tire opening is fairly easy,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can someone post a picture of the latch that keeps it open? I seem to be missing that part on mine.
Thank you
There is no latch to keep it open, only one to keep it closed.
Ok, i thought I read somewhere that it had a latch to hold open.
Thanks
1 - 20 of 23 Posts