Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at my dealer today TRYING to buy some parts. They still have precious little to offer. The salesman said the Yamaha rep was in earlier and said Yamaha would warranty the drivetrain of the YXZ if a owner has a Yamaha dealership install the MPI turbo! The MPI turbo creates 155 HP on only 5 lbs of boost. MPI states that they have been working on all 7 generations of this triple cylinder engine. $4k for just the turbo. My dealer says he doesn't know a price for the install yet.

MPI has turbo systems that can generate up to 300 HP with this engine. Yikes!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I am curious to see how this turbo affects the low to mid power. Is there turbo lag? I dune but also do trails.

·
Registered
183 Posts
That's kinda what Mydealer said tonite when I asked them.But they had nothing official in writing on it.just talk between them and rep .Hope it's true .il have them do labor for a flat rate

·
Registered
183 Posts
If I was betting id say their going to release a turbo model soon .And if they did their would be a lot of unrest to people that just payed all these coin for a non one now .so that's why I say mpi one will be covered cause probably what it will have on it

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
There is a big rally in St. George, Utah in two weeks -- rumor is Yamaha will have a demo YXZ there with a stock turbo.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I told my dealer about your clutch problems jfulps and he said it is a wear item and no warranty. I said the poor guy had hardly any miles on it. No sympathy.

4 seat w/ turbo would be great.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I was at my dealer today TRYING to buy some parts. They still have precious little to offer. The salesman said the Yamaha rep was in earlier and said Yamaha would warranty the drivetrain of the YXZ if a owner has a Yamaha dealership install the MPI turbo! The MPI turbo creates 155 HP on only 5 lbs of boost. MPI states that they have been working on all 7 generations of this triple cylinder engine. $4k for just the turbo. My dealer says he doesn't know a price for the install yet.

My salesman told me we could drop a bigblock in it and Yamaha will cover warranty .

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yes, being a smart ass. Dealer can't figure out how to work tilt steering but Yamaha's going to warranty dealer installed turbos?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Let me get this straight... you think that because a salesman doesn't know how to tilt the steering wheel that you can then predict that a separate company like Yamaha won't warranty something? As if the salesman has some magical power over yamaha executives and can influence their decisions? Really?

Also, nowhere did it say they are warranting the turbo...it's the drivetrain.

·
Registered
148 Posts

that would be cool if the dealer is willing to provide a warranty. i honestly dont see it happening.. i know polaris cant even warranty an axle or belt on a bone stock machine. hell that cant even warranty a crappy fuel rail design that breaks and catches cars on fire... our YXZ turbo kit on only 6psi has netted an additional 65% more power on bone stock engine but the drivetrain is holding up so far.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Let me get this straight... you think that because a salesman doesn't know how to tilt the steering wheel that you can then predict that a separate company like Yamaha won't warranty something? As if the salesman has some magical power over yamaha executives and can influence their decisions? Really?

I think he's saying.... That his dealer is so stupid that they can't even figure out tilt steering, so how the hell can they figure out how to install a turbo..

·
Registered
485 Posts
If I was betting id say their going to release a turbo model soon .And if they did their would be a lot of unrest to people that just payed all these coin for a non one now .so that's why I say mpi one will be covered cause probably what it will have on it
Don't see them releasing a turbo model. The whole point of the MPI set up is you can add it if you want and if installed by a dealer it retains the warranty. Yamaha has given the buyer a platform to build as you please.

The only thing I see Yamaha doing in the next year is release possibly a four seat version.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Yamaha basically already did. They gave us the turbo first. If Yamaha said that it does not void the warranty it is the same thing. They didn't say it only voids the engine warranty, they said it does not void the warranty. I have heard very little complaints over the years about yamaha and their warranty but only time will tell.
A clutch is a different story. If you go buy a brand new car and burn up the clutch in a thousand miles, it is going to be very hard to get a clutch. Clutches and brake pads are typically never covered.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The problem is finding a dealer who wants to install the turbo. Many dealerships only want to do warranty work and don't want to be a full on mechanic's shop. All the Ride Now dealerships said they wouldn't be installing turbos on the YXZ.

·
Registered
43 Posts
P

let me get this straight. Yamaha (not some salesmen) said they would not warranty a faulty clutch. The guy has less than 400 miles on it. Pretty chiken shit if you ask me.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don't think most dealers know if this is true or not. I've talked to my dealer and they said no it is not warrantied.

Until I see it as a factory accessory like on their snowmobiles I'm going to say its not warrantied. Otherwise why would they not have announced it as an accessory like they did on their sleds? Even when MPI was still finishing building the kit they offered it in their spring check program.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I thought they did. They said they cover it even tho they don't make it which would be why it has to be installed at the dealer. Dealers probably aren't going to ask that much about what is covered until it is needed (this is an assumption) as a lot of dealers probably only sell a handful a year. There are a lot of smaller dealers. Yamaha states their name on QUALITY. Side by sides are not what yamaha survive on. Why would they risk soiling their name saying it would be covered and then not cover it? A problem here DOES transfer over to most every other part of their business. In my opinion, (Yes, I am an optimist) yamaha best bet to KILL in this market is to offer a bulletproof machine and be very generous with the warranty. Quality is there biggest selling point and the biggest complaint about every other machine on the market is quality.
The only downside is there is still a middle man, the dealer. Keep in mind that yamaha warranty is covered nation wide.

·
Registered
107 Posts
2 different dealers told me if it does not have a Yamaha part # it voids the warranty. The turbo for the sleds had a Yamaha part #.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts