Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
I doubt that is as easy as you make it $ound with the existing hardware. Maybe Yamaha will develop a DCT for the next generation? Doing that without adding unnecessarily to the price would be the trick...
As stated,
It would only take a switch and a program to switch too. It already down shifts so every sensor possibly needed is already there to do it it just needs to be programmed for it and a switch to change programs.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Lots to think about here for sure, I have a 19 SS- the ability to shift when I want to is a big attraction for this machine in my opinion, sets it apart from the cvt's and fully automatics.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I was at a riding event a few years back, and Yamaha had a booth along with demo units. One of the Yamaha engineers said that it would not take much for Yamaha to turn the SS into a complete auto shift. It was more like, did they want to?

·
Registered
4 Posts
As stated,
It would only take a switch and a program to switch too. It already down shifts so every sensor possibly needed is already there to do it it just needs to be programmed for it and a switch to change programs.
Have you ever driven an E46 SMG in auto mode?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hasn't everyone? European trash ;)

The reason most people buy the Yami is because you can shift it, and the paddles make it even better. They can add the auto shift if they want, would make it appeal to a wider market. But for me I'll leave it in shift mode.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hasn't everyone? European trash ;)

The reason most people buy the Yami is because you can shift it, and the paddles make it even better. They can add the auto shift if they want, would make it appeal to a wider market. But for me I'll leave it in shift mode.
My point was that an auto shifting function built on an automated manual, single clutch, last generation trans, would probably not work as well as you might think.You would never be able to get the smoothness out of the system that the "auto shift type buyer" would demand. Just my $.02. Maybe the next gen YXZ will have a DCT?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm in San Diego and it had been a while since I went to a dealership but I went in a few days ago and noticed no YXZ's there. They had a few Yamaha utility models but that's it. Sport models on the floor were X3, Kawasaki, Talon and a few Artic Cats. I didn't ask why they didn't have any but it definitely caught my attention.

I realize the different opinions out there but looking at the competition and seeing every single one running a similar beefy trailing arm rear suspension instead of yamaha style a-arms is kind of annoying at this point if I'm honest. I love everything about the yxz except the suspension geometry and the cheesy stock roof support. I love the high Revs and the shifting (SS model). I know the car inside and out and it's crazy how reliable it is.

The image above shows a combo bypass and coilover setup, if that's true that would be pretty ridiculous and a game changer for me. I have way too much money in mine and would much rather continue to improve on mine instead of switching to any model currently available, but a turbo car with that kind of shock setup on a stock car might get me to sign the paperwork and start over.

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
134 Posts
Quick Google search pulled up an article that says the patent application also refers to a solid rear axle. 4 rear shocks and a solid rear axle seems far fetched but what a game changer if it ever happens.

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Posts
The only small benefit I could see out of a solid axle would be zero scrub through the whole suspension travel radius, leaving it able to POSSIBLY have more travel than the competition!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
300 Posts
My point was that an auto shifting function built on an automated manual, single clutch, last generation trans, would probably not work as well as you might think.You would never be able to get the smoothness out of the system that the "auto shift type buyer" would demand. Just my $.02. Maybe the next gen YXZ will have a DCT?
I can shift the car smoothly. What makes you think the computer can't do even better ? The SS will shift smooth as heck if you shift it that way.

The solid axle may only be referring to the assembly not having a differential.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Any situation where you want the smoothest ride. Thats why they made independent suspension. Solid axle is for cavemen.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts