Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Any situation where you want the smoothest ride. Thats why they made independent suspension. Solid axle is for cavemen.
Maybe going 15mph on trails. 70mph through the whoops/desert enviroment solid axle with a linked rear end is the smoothest option.

·
Registered
330 Posts
And get beat to death at anything less than that? Caveman stuff. The only reasons to run a solid axle is because the axles themselves are stronger, the system is simpler and stronger or you want to do some crazy articulation that 95% of the people would never do. If you want ride quality independent is the way to go. If your thing is going over boulders all day then you probably could care less about ride quality.

While we are talking about things people will never agree on what kind of oil should I run :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
And get beat to death at anything less than that? Caveman stuff. The only reasons to run a solid axle is because the axles themselves are stronger, the system is simpler and stronger or you want to do some crazy articulation that 95% of the people would never do. If you want ride quality independent is the way to go. If your thing is going over boulders all day then you probably could care less about ride quality.

While we are talking about things people will never agree on what kind of oil should I run :)
But you know, “who would make a utv that doesn’t auto shift, even when they could?” Maybe a solid axle would be the same way, this is not for the “typical fellows”!

·
Registered
54 Posts

The YXZ has independent suspension and it beats you to death so not sure what point you are trying to make. The point i am trying to make is whether yamaha goes with a trailing arm set-up or with a solid axle set-up it seems they are moving in the right direction. I hope they bring something that can compete with the other manufacturers turbo cars off the show room floor.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The YXZ has independent suspension and it beats you to death so not sure what point you are trying to make. The point i am trying to make is whether yamaha goes with a trailing arm set-up or with a solid axle set-up it seems they are moving in the right direction. I hope they bring something that can compete with the other manufacturers turbo cars off the show room floor.
This right here.

With the new Speed UTV being made specifically for western region style riding, along with the 2 other big brands, it's hard to keep the car and fall that much more behind. It's not just about slapping on a turbo and being done with it, suspension has so much to do with it (for those of us that aren't necessarily at the point of just cruising around every time we go out). Even yamaha sponsored CJ Greaves adapted a trailing arm suspension after so many years, tells us bare minimum that the current setup isn't up to par.

I've put a lot of money into this car but there's only so much my enthusiasm for shifting can keep me around. There's a new and true long travel kit out there making the rounds on a FB group, but there's no way I'm putting another 10k+ into this thing.

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
Foster6565 said:

Since the YXZ1000R is the only UTVs I have owned I don’t know any better .....the YXZ1000R seems smooth as glass to me compared to my Jeep!!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I’ve had a 2017 with weller spring kit, currently own a stock 2019 and a 4 seat rzr turbo s. Believe me the YXZ is ROUGH.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I also own a 16 Razor, the ride is better but that is the only thing I like better, that and the glove box doesn't get wet inside when I power wash it :) The Yamaha quality is a world ahead. Heck with Poo you don't even get a full door let alone the inside of one. The Poo faithful are so brainwashed if the factory told them to put peanut butter on their tires for better traction the only thing they would ask is smooth or chunky.

Do I wish my Yami was as smooth as my Poo yes. Do I question the logic behind Yami, every day, but if I had to sell one the Poo would go, no question. The only Yami product I can remember ever seeing them totally redo is the Wolverine. They build one thing and do just minor upgrades. Heck the 19 upgrades were a total shocker. I'd be looking for them to build a entire different machine before seeing them do any major suspension changes. But hey what do I know.

Heck they should have made a 4 seater, done a hi lo transfer case, factory turbo option, improved suspension long ago if they were interested in grabbing more market share. They have a niche market and guess they are happy with that. I know I'm happy with mine and am not interested in a $30k plus toy. What you are getting for that kind of cash is a joke. $20k for a Yxz is really pushing the value for your dollar if you ask me. The "how much is the payment crowd" is what is driving the market right now. Most of the people who buy them will never own one outright. I pay cash for mine so I look a little harder at what I'm getting for my $

I am in no way brand loyal, when I'm looking for my next ride I will buy which ever brand produces the best unit for what I am interested in using it for. Be it Yami, Kawi, Poo, Can AM or Honda.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Is your 19 a single spring or duel?
My 2019 has the single spring, I would say this rides about as good as my 2017 did with the weller spring kit.

I also own a 16 Razor, the ride is better but that is the only thing I like better, that and the glove box doesn't get wet inside when I power wash it :) The Yamaha quality is a world ahead. Heck with Poo you don't even get a full door let alone the inside of one. The Poo faithful are so brainwashed if the factory told them to put peanut butter on their tires for better traction the only thing they would ask is smooth or chunky.

Do I wish my Yami was as smooth as my Poo yes. Do I question the logic behind Yami, every day, but if I had to sell one the Poo would go, no question. The only Yami product I can remember ever seeing them totally redo is the Wolverine. They build one thing and do just minor upgrades. Heck the 19 upgrades were a total shocker. I'd be looking for them to build a entire different machine before seeing them do any major suspension changes. But hey what do I know.

Heck they should have made a 4 seater, done a hi lo transfer case, factory turbo option, improved suspension long ago if they were interested in grabbing more market share. They have a niche market and guess they are happy with that. I know I'm happy with mine and am not interested in a $30k plus toy. What you are getting for that kind of cash is a joke. $20k for a Yxz is really pushing the value for your dollar if you ask me. The "how much is the payment crowd" is what is driving the market right now. Most of the people who buy them will never own one outright. I pay cash for mine so I look a little harder at what I'm getting for my $

I am in no way brand loyal, when I'm looking for my next ride I will buy which ever brand produces the best unit for what I am interested in using it for. Be it Yami, Kawi, Poo, Can AM or Honda.
I have owned nothing but Yamaha vehicles my entire life. (Multiple YFZ450's, Raptor 660, 700, the list goes on) I was a Yamaha faithful for life but with them not making a 4 seat "Sport" machine kind of put me in a situation and i had no choice but to go with Polaris.

NOW, im not sure what model your 2016 is but my 2020 XP4 Turbo S is better at everything vs the Yamaha. I will give you the the Yamaha doesn't rattle like the polaris but thats about it. The ride, power, quality is all there. Heck it came factory with full doors, radio, gps nav and harnesses. Yamaha needs to step there game up!

With that being said if yamaha came out with even a 1000cc 4 seat YXZish machine id consider switching from my polaris but thats just because i am a Yamaha "fanboy"

·
Registered
330 Posts
How much did you pay for the turbo S?

How close would the Yami be if you took those extra thousands and upgraded the Yxz?

A 30k machine should be nicer than a 20k one.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Safe to say we're all Yamaha fans. I myself sold a banshee and a raptor prior to buying the YXZ (with age comes a cage and when I broke my collar bone my wife wasn't too pleased). I'd love for the '22 model to be a game changer but I just don't see it coming. Hopefully I'm wrong.

The YXZ has been great and has done everything I ask of it. It's solid, it's loud, revs high and the paddle shifting is awesome. It's been my introduction to SXS's and even got me into racing at times. I just feel the smaller overall dimensions and suspension setup is something that should've been addressed by now like they did by relocating the radiator, offering different gearing and now even turbos. It'll take me through the desert it's just not the YXZ's forte in my view.

I try not to follow crowds and that was one reason I went with the Yamaha to begin with and if I'm going rubber band I'm going big. So I put a deposit down on Robby Gordon's Speed UTV 2 Seater. I'll have to go through the first year gremlins but that thing is built like a freaking tank. Hopefully enjoying double or even triple the amount of horsepower will make up for missing out on shifting. It's 77" wide has a 110" wheelbase and comes with all the bells and whistles, even a full cage not just a roof support. Yes it's the most expensive of the bunch but how many of us haven't already added long travel, turbos, gear reduction, cages, seats harnesses, etc.

Also I hate dealerships and you can order direct.

·
Registered
146 Posts
When do the speed machines begin to ship?
Vague answer here but I think sooner rather than later. He announced they'll be in the desert testing a production model first week of March and once production gets ramped up it'll be 40 units a day.

32 inch tires, carbon fiber seats, comms, nets, chrome-moly A-Arms and trailing arms, 3.2 shocks, gussets and everything double-shear. I'm in.

·
Registered
54 Posts
How much did you pay for the turbo S?

How close would the Yami be if you took those extra thousands and upgraded the Yxz?

A 30k machine should be nicer than a 20k one.
Doesn’t matter what I would put into the Yxz. They don’t make a 4 seater. Thats the point.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts